[RUMOR] New DK Game By The Super Mario Odyssey Team

Jack Frost

Hee ho!
There's been quite a few rumors about a new DK game. Here's the article Nintendo Life published about it.

Nintendo Life's source says that it will be a 2D platformer.

A leaker named Zippo says that a new 2D DK game is being developed by Nintendo internally, as Retro is busy with Metroid Prime 4. He also says things like "Don't expect the 'Country' moniker to return," "Diddy, Cranky and the Kremling Krew should all be returning," and "It sounds like this game is launching before the end of the year. An E3 announcement seems very likely." This is all a part of a big post he made about Nintendo's 2021, so it's important to evaluate the other claims he made there to judge if it's true.

One thing worth noting is that there's several hints towards a DK expansion at Super Nintendo World. This is important because it would be wise for Nintendo to release new DK games alongside this expansion.

There's also that slightly new Diddy Kong render that Nintendo Japan put on their website, though it probably doesn't mean anything.

There's one last thing I wanna address, and it's that several articles have included Lonely Goomba's tweet, where he talks about a rumor of a 3D DK game. Here's the thing: The Lonely Goomba is not a leaker. He just made a tweet talking about a rumor he heard, and for whatever reason several articles treated his tweet like it came from a reputable source. Just wanted to bring this up to eliminate any confusion.

What do y'all think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I don't think I can delete this thread so I'll just put a note here - I regret making this thread. I now understand that nothing good comes out of rumors and leaks. When a leak is true, it spoils the surprise. When a leak is false, it just gets everyone's hopes up and dampens a lot of excitement that could've come from the announcement. I'm sure the Switch OLED Model would've been much more well received if we hadn't had "leakers" hyping everyone up for years about it, promising 4k and DLSS or whatever. Obviously this post was contributing to the problem of hyping people up for something that we don't even know if it'll happen, and that's why I regret making it.

Last edited:
It's nice to see a new DK game, but when's the next Wario Land?

wow nintendo life reports on it and suddenly its just everywhere now huh lmao the rumors been floating around since february apparently
anywayyy ill repost my thoughts again
me on discord said:
ill sum this up: im excited for a new donkey kong bc there hasnt been once on switch or since tropical freeze, but im also kinda worried because i dont know if i can trust nintendo to make a dkc style game as good as the rare/retro outings, and also | not just make dkc1 again, for the third time???
im more excited overall either way. i just want to see what it IS So i hope this e3 is it

oh boy if the only characters returning again are donkey kong and The Banana again Oh Boy

Sounds great, here's hoping it's real.

Man I'd like to play a Donkey Kong 64 sequel done right.

Reactions: zel
Like all rumors I'll believe it when I see it.

If the rumor is true, then I'm like 99% sure it'll be 2D, and not 3D. Both Zippo and Nintendo Life have reported on it being 2D, and the only mention of it being 3D that I can find is from Lonely Goomba's tweet. But like I said, he's not a leaker. I have no idea where he heard about it being 3D.

But if I had to pick, I'd go with a 3D platformer no doubt. I'm don't like 2D Donkey Kong, so a new one really wouldn't do much for me. 3D though? Uh, YEAH! I'll buy that!

that would be absolutely amazing

I found Rare did a subpar job with DK64, The beginning of the game (the hub world & Jungle Japes) are awesome, but the rest of it is.. depressing and lazy world design.

I would be very interested if this is true. Would definitely make New Donk City in Odyssey very hilarious in hindsight.

While the rumor is saying the game will be in line with the DKC series. I do wonder if it'll take cues from Jungle Beat given the same team behind Odyssey did do Jungle Beat early on?

I lost my trust in Zippo when he leaked a "return to form Paper Mario" and we didn't get it

TOK was good in its own right but not what I'd call a return to form.

it would be nice to get a new not dkc dk game because the last one was i believe barrel blast on the wii............some kinda successor to dk64 would be amazing

It would be amusing if the Donkey Kong game is more Mario style (think Donkey Kong arcade and Mario vs Donkey Kong) instead of Donkey Kong Country, since that was Mario's true origin instead of the Super Mario games that lasted very long. If that is the case, it would be cool to see Donkey Kong acting as a Mario adversary once again.

Thank you for reading.

Inb4 the "new DK game" actually just turns out to be a port of Donkey Kong Country Returns.

And to add more fuel to the fire, it's the Wii version with the required motion controls.

I feel the Switch itself has a lot of 2D platformers already that aren't ports, so I'm sore that the rumor is about another 2D platformer rather than a 3D one especially when it comes to first-party titles.

If they're making a DK game and it isn't part of the DKC series then it should be 3D, or at least not in the Country style.

Assuming it's a real and it's a 2D game, I expect EPD to go the Jungle Beat route and give the gameplay a refresh nevertheless. They're always on the lookout for some form of innovation, so even if it's a 2D game, it would strive to be its own thing rather than 100% DKC-inspired.

oh thats a good point, and we could still get another dkc by retro! at some point in the fututre! i know about metroid prime 4 its taking a whilw!!
still do wonder what this one will be

I know most probably want something more akin to Odyssey but with DK, but I've been thinking, given the DKC series are largely linear platformers that focus on precise platforming, gimmicks and tough challenges and what not, I feel like a 3D Land/World inspired approach could work well for DK. Not so much in an aesthetics sense, but more its design and what not. A largely linear and fast paced 2D/3D hybrid approach with more emphasis on speed, gimmicks and pure platflorming than the traditional 3D collect-a-thons and what not, but still incorporating some exploration and secrets and what not. I think that could be an interesting approach to go with DK in a 3D space and a way that stays true to the spirit of the DKC games, while still being different.

Last edited:
Back