Paper Mario: The Origami King

YEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!! Just as I got Sticker Star and it comes out right before my birthday!!

Why do I have the feeling that the Toad partner isn't actually a "partner" in the same definition as the first two games but another companion character entirely? Still, I like the explorer Toad.

I like how this game came out of nowhere though and it has a close release window. Going to remain skeptical of it, though.

I want a paper Wario and Waluigi to show up, but not getting my hopes up. Looks interesting though.

The most they ever got was recolors. But then again, Toadette was the most exotic we got from the Paper cast and that was like, what, almost 20 years ago now? I really wish we got characters like Paper Diddy Kong or Paper Wario, but those characters don't really appear in core Mario titles so...

I'm skeptical about this game. The combat system looks a little grand for my tastes, and I fear it may be too complicated if they keep the sticker/card formula along with this new system. But I think as long as the overworld is interesting and the characters have good dialogue, then I think I'll enjoy this (those two features are what makes me love Color Splash so much). It may not have as many interesting new species as the OG games, but I'm honestly used to that now.
And after watching the Gamexplain videos on it, I can honestly say I am hyped for this game, and will probably preorder it (gotta have something to do in July when quarantine maybe will still happening).

So like, is King Olly a beefed up Shy Guy or was he masquerading as a Shy Guy?
Masquerading. DEFINITELY masquerading.

Yeah, we got glimpses of Goombario being mean towards Kooper in his Tattle logs in Paper Mario, I would love to see partners interact with each other than make one-line quips about others that don't go anywhere.

Until Mario is given a chance to actually interact with their bantering I see little potential to have them continue what they do after the chapter they're introduced in

Eh, they're going to keep Mario a shell since that's his character in the Paper Mario games.

Some takeaways for me:
  • I'm very concerned by the lack of information on the new wheel battle system. It could be fun and interesting and it at least has my attention but why did they not show any combat for a fucking turn-based RPG?
  • There seems to be giant open worlds to explore though, like that desert area where Mario is riding in a car or that ocean area where he's riding on a boat. I think this could replace the world maps present in Sticker Star and Color Splash and be the way you go between areas but that's just speculation on my part.
  • I saw one scene where Mario, Olivia, the travelling Toad, and the Bob-omb are all on a boat going down a waterfall. Maybe this means we get interaction between partners for some scenes?
  • The intro cutscene is very unsettling, and the origami world taking over the paper world could be a good story if they play their cards right.
  • That being said I still don't like the arts and crafts artstyle. Shit's not creative or charming anymore and has been in at least 10 Nintendo games the past decade.
Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic for this game, and at the very least it looks like a major improvement over Sticker Star and Color Splash. We might actually have a legitimately fun game this time around.

That being said I still don't like the arts and crafts artstyle. Shit's not creative or charming anymore and has been in at least 10 Nintendo games the past decade.
Maybe those Yoshi games have little business to be crafts based and are contributing more to the saturation of arts and crafts games on top of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Kirby's Epic Yan (to be fair the Yoshi platformers also tend to be that style even the original, and Yoshi Story predates Paper Mario), but I don't see how this should be docked at a long-running game series that has "Paper" in its name. That doesn't seem fair.

i mean

if you don't want paper mario to look papery, what DO you want it to look like

there's not really any options that aren't papery, even as early as TTYD there was a lot of scene transition and gimmercky that involved the paper stuff

anyhow i hated sticker star for several reasons (writing was bland, gameplay was unfun, boss fights were a straight up waste of time) but color splash looked from what i saw (never played it) to be pretty good so i'm placing this into the Cautious Optimism camp

might get it depending on reviews

Maybe those Yoshi games have little business to be crafts based and are contributing more to the saturation of arts and crafts games on top of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Kirby's Epic Yan (to be fair the Yoshi platformers also tend to be that style even the original, and Yoshi Story predates Paper Mario), but I don't see how this should be docked at a long-running game series that has "Paper" in its name. That doesn't seem fair.
I've just never been a fan of the artstyle in general, and that does include the older Paper Mario games to a small extent even if I enjoy the games. Doesn't help nowadays it's oversaturated

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the game sort have some "partners" but they're in a more supporting state than "party member". Interesting in the promo they highlighted "the characters will have personalities" and the designs are pretty much out of populairty.... I know the game focus on the origami works and I do like the new style, but it's not really persuasive for Nintendo to claim they are gonna work hard on the characters.

It's like the generic teammates in Mario Strikers, they're sort like your companions but.....

It always make wonder it's NIntendo don't want to pay attention to what fans want or they just intentionally ignore the needs. I mean, the "Luigi and Mario brotherhood lacks development" statement from LM3 interview was really stunning in a negative way.

I would still miss the glamor original Paper Mario games had and question why NIntendo still want to keep this series while they don't want to keep the merits from the originals.

It does seem like the partner system is going to be different from the original three. I think these are unnamed partners that are going to help Mario fight the origami versions of them. The neat thing it appears is that there's a good chance there's a bigger variety of potential partners to have compared to the first two games. The box art for the game seems to suggest Bob-Omb, Toad, Goomba, Shy Guy, and Spike as these partners, and we've seen a Magikoopa following Mario. I'm also going to guess from this that Bowser Jr. and Hammer Bro. will end up as Mario's partners.

I might be optimistic and say the bigger potential variety of partners can prove to be superior to the original Paper Mario at least in the gameplay department, that they trim the already shallow talking tool aspect of these partners and focus more on strategizing them to fight enemies.

I mean, the "Luigi and Mario brotherhood lacks development" statement from LM3 interview was really stunning in a negative way.
Never heard of that interview but now I need to know about that.

I forgot to mention this, but this is the first Mario game to be announced for this year. That's a very long period of calm between Mario games!

Even though there are high profile Mario games that have short periods between announcement and release, including Super Mario Maker 2 having a 4-5 month period and Super Mario Party's 4 month period, this feels incredibly short because it's practically 2 months instead. It's really fine, even if I had the impression that it felt more like a throwaway game compared to the likes of higher profile releases like Zelda, Metroid and Mario Kart.

On the bright side, the virtues of Colour Splash are now shining through in this game, since many people really liked it. I suppose an intriguing battle system goes a long way in giving the game a very positive impression, since the former has a lot of meritorious elements already. Still, I like to think that the advertisers took note of the things people liked about that game and put them in the forefront in this trailer, plus the new way of battling.

I suppose it's a natural evolution for the Paper series to have origami. Now I am wondering what is the best parallel for origami in real life if papery characters are considered normal. Would real life characters have an otherworldly form (like monsters) that resemble the real life counterparts?

It does seem like the partner system is going to be different from the original three. I think these are unnamed partners that are going to help Mario fight the origami versions of them. The neat thing it appears is that there's a good chance there's a bigger variety of potential partners to have compared to the first two games. The box art for the game seems to suggest Bob-Omb, Toad, Goomba, Shy Guy, and Spike as these partners, and we've seen a Magikoopa following Mario. I'm also going to guess from this that Bowser Jr. and Hammer Bro. will end up as Mario's partners.

I might be optimistic and say the bigger potential variety of partners can prove to be superior to the original Paper Mario at least in the gameplay department, that they trim the already shallow talking tool aspect of these partners and focus more on strategizing them to fight enemies.
The ability to have a wide variety of partners in Colour Splash is something I liked, but I thought that its implementation could be much better since in that game, they only work for one battle (even if they survive). I do hope that we can have any partner we want, without the drawback of expiring because I would love to "catch 'em all" (assuming that this is the plan).

Thank you for reading.

I'm generally of the "wait and see" approach for this game, because right now I don't think we have enough info for anyone to make a firm judgement... but I will say this: the marketing for this game so far is fucking bizarre.

There's hints that this game is indeed trying to hew closer to the first two games, such as the partners following Mario in the overworld and the battle system getting rid of one-use stickers and cards... but the trailer shows off very little of both the partners and battle system. The only hint we have to partners being a thing in battles is a brief clip from the Chinese version of the trailer, and our only substantial showing of the battle system itself is from a 20-second gameplay clip that's completely separate from the trailer. Since the lack of partners and a poorly-built battle system were problems that fans were very vocal about, it would be very easy to drum up hype by showing off these details and how they were addressed... yet they don't show them?

I'm keeping an open mind about this game, and I suggest everyone else do so instead of just angrily jumping the gun... but I have to admit, the marketing so far isn't doing this game any favors.

Granted this game is coming out in two months so maybe I'm just being dumb

Reactions: zel
Back