Paper Mario: The Origami King

Toadgamer

Marioboards' biggest (maybe only) bup connoisseur
thankfully i scrolled quickly so i didnt see the spoiler

anyway i need this game more than how much i need oxygen, so i'll answer the question when i.........eventually get it (probably gonna take me years)

Elijah Guy

A Shy Guy who Hates Pink Gold Peach
I've seen a Ton of spoilers, and I'm okay with that, atleast I know what to do If I get the game (I have JUST a Wii U)

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
I think you're looking too deeply into this bruh
Welp, that comment's deleted and that user was banned.

Anyway, to anyone who has played and liked the game, is the ring-based battle system and the expansive overworlds the direction you would like the series to continue going in, assuming that the game series will not ever go back to its roots?

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Petalguy99. Not surprising in the least. He got banned in both the wiki and the Discord too, under different names there.

Uh game looks super nice. Still hoping my sister and I buy it at some point so we can leave our own opinions in this thread. For the time being, stare at an image of the Shangri Spa.

Hint Toad

Wanna buy a hint?
Poll Committee
Anyway, to anyone who has played and liked the game, is the ring-based battle system and the expansive overworlds the direction you would like the series to continue going in, assuming that the game series will not ever go back to its roots?
I would love to see one big overworld in the next Paper Mario game, as I think that it fits the style more than a string of individual areas like in Color Splash, and to me, the areas feel more natural and part of a bigger environment that compliments the story.
As for the ring system, I don't expect it to return, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't want it to return. It was a cool thing for this game, but I would want them to try something different for the next game.

Tanline666

Goomba
I love the large overworld in this game! The worldbuilding seems more natural that way.

I have to admit, the ring-based battle system gets repetitive after a while. But I do like the boss fight system!

Doomhiker

Bob-omb
Wiki Patroller
Core 'Shroom Staff
I've just started playing the game today, and I do like the ring battle system. What seems to be so far an improvement from Sticker Star is that you actually have to battle more even without exp, as it doesn't seem like you can run from enemy encounters (correct me if I'm wrong), there's a good amount of required non-boss fights, and sometimes you need to fight to save a Toad, so while I would prefer the game to have exp the battle system at least never feels pointless. While I don't know if I would want the ring-based battles to return (I do enjoy them, don't get me wrong) having the game make you use the battle system more often is something I would like the series continue.

I definitely do prefer the expansive overworld over what was in the last two games.

Blue

Plumbing my way into your hearts since 1985
I’m about halfway through the game and I do appreciate how the developers realized the battles are starting to get boring. So they toned down how much battleling you need to do. This is where the coin system shines. They need you to battle a lot so you’ll have coins for buying stuff and using in boss battles. But as the game gets closer to the middle section they toned it down. Definitely a step in the right direction where other RPG’s fail.

Doomhiker

Bob-omb
Wiki Patroller
Core 'Shroom Staff
I've just started playing the game today, and I do like the ring battle system. What seems to be so far an improvement from Sticker Star is that you actually have to battle more even without exp, as it doesn't seem like you can run from enemy encounters (correct me if I'm wrong), there's a good amount of required non-boss fights, and sometimes you need to fight to save a Toad, so while I would prefer the game to have exp the battle system at least never feels pointless. While I don't know if I would want the ring-based battles to return (I do enjoy them, don't get me wrong) having the game make you use the battle system more often is something I would like the series continue.

I definitely do prefer the expansive overworld over what was in the last two games.
I made a mistake - you can run from normal enemy encounters, though there's still the required fights.