Paper Mario: The Origami King

I love how you adventure with bowser. That is me favorite part.

I am mildly miffed that once again the new badguy is just stealing Bowser's stuff to make him look all the badder.

But unlike other games that doesn't seem to be an afterthought and you'll actually be interacting with them a fair bit. So thats something at least.

I am mildly miffed that once again the new badguy is just stealing Bowser's stuff to make him look all the badder.
though i don't mind this, I'm in agreement here just because he doesn't seem to have his own army. All the other villains who stole Bowser's minions didn't do it because they had no army (aside from maybe Cackletta but she didn't do it till she became Bowletta), they probably just didn't want opposition and "the more the merrier"

I think they have their own reason to not have unique partners this time: I'm thinking that the Koopa Troop will help Mario this time, so his partners are generic enemies BECAUSE they're just Bowser's foot soldiers. He has no one else to turn to.

I think they have their own reason to not have unique partners this time: I'm thinking that the Koopa Troop will help Mario this time, so his partners are generic enemies BECAUSE they're just Bowser's foot soldiers. He has no one else to turn to.
I do hope that the idea of common enemies joining Mario is a more permanent thing, instead of just working in one battle and expiring even if they survived. It's such a nice idea.

Thank you for reading.

Also, just watched the combat trailer and I honestly cannot tell if they're using stickers or not.
There's only two options in the trailer: Boots and Hammer, so who knows what's up with that. It's all in Japanese so Idk what it says.

I don't care whether or not the game uses consumables, I just need there to be motivation for battling.

Also, just watched the combat trailer and I honestly cannot tell if they're using stickers or not.
There's only two options in the trailer: Boots and Hammer, so who knows what's up with that. It's all in Japanese so Idk what it says.
A link to a quick translation was posted before, basically it says the type of jump attack that it's going to be performed, indicating that there will be the possibility of changing it as the game progresses

This looks totally dope.

That's it. That's all I gotta say. I'm hype, needless to say. It seems like it's going somewhat in the footsteps of Sticker Star/Color Splash in terms of overall tone and style, and honestly I'm happy they're keeping the Color Splash artstyle because this is gorgeous.

It also looks interesting on a gameplay level. I have a feeling I'll really love this game but I'll be cautiously optimistic like I've always been.

ok i just shot a live recording of my reaction to this, i don't feel comfortable sharing my face or voice publicly at this point but here's a transcript:

Umm Hello this is MiracleDinner
And umm... Paper Mario: The Origami King, Paper Mario 6, for the Nintendo Switch, just got announced.
And i'm just really excited, cause, let me start by saying I am a HUGE Paper Mario fan
I've loved the series ever since I played Super Paper Mario, I was 8 years old, well I was 9 at the end, but I was 8 years old when i started it
And... it was, it was magical, it was freaking magical, I loved the story so much, I never thought Mario could exist as anything like this
And frankly like, that game always has a special place in my heart, Super Paper Mario has always been my favourite game of all time since then
It was a while until I got to play the first two but they're also amazing
I haven't played Colour Splash or Sticker star but given how much I liked story in the first three I think I'll be dissappointed
And then Paper Mario: The Origami King was announced and I was like "Oh my god, is this real, is it happening?!?" yes its real yes its happenning, the rumours are all true
And I don't know what to think going into it, because I loved the first three, but "origami" - it sounds like they're doing papery gimmicks and everything, and it looks like it's...
I mean like I've heard Bowser's going to team up with you just from like people on Mario Boards - oh Mario Boards, by the way, I love that community so much, shout out to all of you.
Umm so yeah
I've heard some pretty good stuff but I've also heard some pretty bad stuff but whatever it is....
Don't let me down Nintendo, please don't let me down, I love Paper Mario so much. I know you can inspire me again. In fact if they do a good enough job of returning Paper Mario to form, it could even be my new favourite game of all time, well admittedly I do have a lot of nostalgia for Super Paper Mario, but that doesn't mean they can't top it. It's still not untoppable, if they do a really good job and pull it off.
Without further ado, I'm going to start
Oh my god, I can't believe I'm actually doing this now
[Video starts]
Oh my god
IS THIS THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR OH MY GOD NO
Is that... is this for real Paper Mario just going to be looking like this, it's terrible
Oh my god Peach's Castle from Super Mario 64 Oh my god oh my god oh my god
Is this... am I dreaming? Is this for real?
Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! What?!?
No... no... no... is this real? is this for real?
Is this it? is this my favourite game of all time? Right here, staring at me from behind the screen?
They're teaming up with Bowser!
Looks like there's some original characters....
Oh no please don't tell me it's just Bowser Jr.
Please no
OK
Umm OK
No, there's so many vanilla enemies, no
Teaming up with Bowser is pretty cool though
Ninjiiis...
Hmm that was pretty cool
July 17, 2020
Oh OK so the way things work out I'm not going to have a Nintendo Switch until a year after that, but that's fine
Just...I don't want N to let me down
OK that looks pretty funny

OK I'm sorry about the infinite face thing earlier, I'm going to switch to my wallpaper
Uhh Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga I also like Mario and Luigi not quite as much as I love Paper Mario just doesn't have the same charm
But uh... what are my thoughts on that
I'm going to go with a mixed reception, start of it looks like it has a dramatic plot but then... I mean it does look incredible graphically, I'll give it that, I think the start of the plot looked interesting and apparently we're teaming up with Bowser which looks like it's confirmed here, so I'm pretty hyped for that.
But just... it looks so much like Colour Splash, gameplay, and there's so many vanilla enemies who've just been translated into paper.
Is this going to be as good as Paper Mario 64, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and Super Paper Mario? Maybe not. But... I'm going to see what's to come of this game, crossing my fingers, I might well enjoy it.
So thanks for watching, leave a like if you do like it, subscribe, unsubscribe if you want, it's free, lol, I'm such an unsucessful YouTuber, but thank you all, have a good day.

these photos of Peach are references to the older games. There's her PM64 sprite, and the parasol photo has Lineland in the background!

You'd think the more obvious thing you'd latch onto was Peach's Parasol as SPM was the only game in the series that ever appeared in. :P

You'd think the more obvious thing you'd latch onto was Peach's Parasol as SPM was the only game in the series that ever appeared in. :P
1589474926990.png

I stand corrected, forgot she had it in colour splash

So finally this game is going to be like PM64 and TTYD. This is actually the first great game since both TTYD and SPM. It's a nice return to form after the Sticker Star mess and Color Splash.

i have to question if story and character are returning to form. i've not played colour splash but the gameplay and graphics look pretty similar

We're starved for Mario games so this is a welcome surprise and also I will never trust Nintendo Directs again

I don't know if its already been covered, but whatever.

It seems that the battle system has a time limit (look at the top right corner of the video).

Also, from someone's comment on this video (Lyon Cobalt) from GameXplain (look at 0:03), there are those button prompts (translate from Japanese):
+ "Extend with coin(s)" (perhaps to increase the timer?)
- "Help"
X "Hint" (with Olivia's icon, perhaps it is something similar to "Tattles" from previous entries.)
Y "Cheer" (I suspect this is similar to TTYD, taking into consideration there's an audience.)
B "Run" (Well, run away from the battle. coward)
L/R "Slide change" (likely rotating the wheel)
L stick "Ring selection"
R stick "Camera"
A "Decide"

If someone who knows Japanese could confirm that this is indeed it, it would be appreciated!

Also, in the English trailer, you could see "Shiny Boots" during a battle, and some feared it was stickers or cards from Sticker Star/Color Splash, but it is quite possible that it is an improvement you can get in the game for Mario's shoes (as in TTYD).

In any case, the game looks really good and I'm really looking forward to learning more about it.

Back