Paper Mario: The Origami King

bob-omb looks chill tho

Considering how Bowser seems to be taking the backseat to another badguy (he never will be as good as his original game self) it's probably the actual Kamek.

According to the website, the badguy's name is "King Olly"

Well there you go new villain fans, you can add another to the list.

That's pretty clearly the intention.

Which is fine with me, don't need any BS melodrama.

Thread's cynic reporting in.

It's going to have great visuals, dialogue and story, but also retain sticker/card battle mechanics from the previous two games, ultimately bringing the game to shit. The "Shiny Boots" thing gives it away, as it doesn't seem to be a badge.

edit: ok so apparently THIS IS NOT THE CASE. it's good to be pleasantly surprised for once :P

Last edited:
Something tells me that the game happens right after color splash. I mean luigi has his kart from that game, and it's likely that he's bringing mario from prism island back to the mushroom kingdom, where the game happens,

If nothing else it doesn't look to be taking itself too seriously.

I've said I never want another game like SPM ever again, thankfully so far I haven't gotten that.

ok so the game mixes old and new elements

If nothing else it doesn't look to be taking itself too seriously.

I've said I never want another game like SPM ever again, thankfully so far I haven't gotten that.

wdym SPM was great

I'm not going to derail this thread, I'll just say I think it is very boring game and leave it at that.

My feelings are still mixed, idk what to think. Original villain is such a relief, but does he have any original minions or just a bunch of brainwashed Mushroom Kingdom enemies? I don't mind that, but the other original villains in the series who brainwashed Bowser's troops also had their own troops.

Bowser on your side again is HYPE. I just hope he's not stuck as a folded napkin the whole time as he appears here. Getting to fight alongside Bowser's minions though, that's still such a step up from using them as stock badguys in the 2 recent titles. Battle system looks iffy though, it definitely doesn't look like the one most people classify as a 'return to form' and while i can't tell if it's bad or not, i think reinventing the wheel a third time puts them on thin ice.

King Olly huh. And Olivia as your partner. Both themed after the gimmick of the game. It's definitely a step up from SS and CS but I hope it's not just another "Kersti/Huey, but one is a villain"

I'm glad it's an original game and not yet another Wii U port. Anyway, I had this thought that the next Paper Mario game would have a grid mechanic in battle (for positioning purposes) since the developers did Fire Emblem, so to see it taking the form of a wheel is an interesting take on this concept.

When I see Mario gains stretchable arms, I immediately thought of another Nintendo series where stretchable "ARMS" are involved, similar to how Colour Splash reminded me of Splatoon. Funnily enough, Splatoon eventually get a painting Hammer (Ultra Stamp) but too bad nobody made a joke about it.
mario-1000-fold-arms.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Thank you for reading.

With how the fans usually treat any Paper Mario game that's not a return to the traditional RPG style, I think it's a miracle that the trailer of this video is overwhelmingly positive. I guess despite not being back to the RPG style that a lot of fans like, certain elements are a welcomed surprise as to allow one to overlook the lack of elements that fans positively associate with the older games.

1589467264318.png

One more thing: I hope it has an extensive gallery like Colour Splash had.

Thank you for reading.

I just realized a small change they made to the promo art between Color Splash and this game, a change I'm personally not a fan of-
PMTOK Mario.png
PMCS_-_Mario_and_Huey.png

They removed the gradients. That was one of my favorite parts of the Paper Mario art style, rip

Reactions: zel
Back