Paper Mario: The Origami King

Still, not everyone is meant to be like, an important NPC or something. When it's, you know, a random guy you really don't have a concrete reason to give them a design. I'd argue that you do need it to some extent when it's someone you're establishing as an important side character, but the guy whose wife left him is just a random toad, so I think it's justifiable to not give him a name or unique design.

It's good that this game will not be another Sticker Star. Sticker Star is the game that sucked shit from a straw like Mega Man X7, Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness, the Lords of Shadow games, and Metroid Other M. Color Splash is okay and a bit better than Sticker Star but not as great as PM64/TTYD/SPM.
TTYD and Super Paper Mario are like Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night tier to me.

What are you looking forward to when playing Paper Mario: The Origami King?

For me I just want to see new things
(and hopefully references from the other Paper Mario Games.) I searched up it on YouTube and I saw a new type of gameplay. (Yes Moton Controlls will be used). I just hope our partner wont sacrifice herself.

The New Partner name by the way is
Olivia.
From the sneak peek there WILL BE actual partners.

What are you looking forward to when playing Paper Mario: The Origami King?

For me I just want to see new things
(and hopefully references from the other Paper Mario Games.) I searched up it on YouTube and I saw a new type of gameplay. (Yes Moton Controlls will be used). I just hope our partner wont sacrifice herself.

The New Partner name by the way is
Olivia.
From the sneak peek there WILL BE actual partners.
somebody once told me the story doesn't matter
and that gameplay where it is at
he was looking kind of swag with a Bowser avatar
in the shape of a square on the left side

well, the games start coming and they dont stop coming
fed to the wii and i loved paper mario
didnt make sense just to play for fun
your thumbs get smart but your heart gets dumb
so much to play so much to do
so whats wrong with liking the plotlines
youll never like if you dont love
youll never play if you dont feel

hey now youre a gamer, get the game on, go play
hey now you love story, plot, and originality
bowsers gettin kind of old
only cool new villains break the mould

it was a cool place down in flipside, but then it got warmer
the rpgs were cool till the series got older
but the new spd beg to differ
judging by the toads in the modern pms
my temper fuse is getting pretty thin
fawful seems gone so im going for a swim
what i loves on fire, how about yours?
storys the way i like it and i never get bored

hey now, i love story, when the games on, so cool
hey now, im a gamer, and count blecks my fav
new characters are dope
only truly lovers touch my heart

hey now, it's not just gameplay, cause the plotline counts too
hey now theres a fanbase for all sorts of cool plots
and all that glitters is lore
maybe marpgs will get them back

I'm actually looking forward to this game, The gameplay I saw from the trailer looks promising, and I'm genuinely happy that partners appear to be back. Not to mention the graphics look great.

So, was watching the trailer and I noticed that during the part where Mario, Bowser and Olivia are looking up at what I assume to be Bowser's castle, there are shadows of what look like many blocks of some kind stacking up in front of them.

Makes me wonder what they are looking at.

I assumed it was Peach's Castle after it's transported to the mountain, the bit of floor and stairs you see matches it. As for the shadows, could be some blockade coming down to block their way.

everyone seems to assume that but i thought it was the castle just being built right in front of them??? like. entirely reconstructed

everyone seems to assume that but i thought it was the castle just being built right in front of them??? like. entirely reconstructed

Considering that there are chains attached to something (presumably the castle), I'm assuming that the way into the castle is being blocked by Thwomps or some other square thing.

It's gotta be something intimidating because I don't think a bunch of normal squares would make Bowser freak out so much

Even with the possible advent of partners, classic turn-based battles and a somewhat dark story, I can't shake off the feeling that the game is exaggeratedly self-contained in the Mario universe. All the idiosyncrasies of the first three Paper Mario games maintained a sort of stylistic continuity by merely being strange, unfamiliar, and had formed the distinct universe that the series became known for.

When Sticker Star happened, this continuity was broken by a huge reality-bending event that wiped out all of the unique stuff and the memories of already established Mario characters, and the void had to be filled quickly with dull, second-handed figures from an alternate reality. Origami King's (and even Color Splash's) attempt to establish new settings in spite of the boringly familiar faces that populate them feels like it desperately wants to do the same thing that the past games did, but can't seem to pull it off correctly. It all comes across as uncanny and forced--which Color Splash tried to compensate with parody--and it's a sign that the series, unfortunately, has lost its identity.

Last edited:
It's gotta be something intimidating because I don't think a bunch of normal squares would make Bowser freak out so much

The impression I got was that he was more raging then freaking out.

Here's the combat gameplay in the English version, in case some of you might look for it. Seems like Jump and Hammer attacks are no longer "consummable" like with the stickers and cards from the previous two games.

When Sticker Star happened, this continuity was broken by a huge reality-bending event that wiped out all of the unique stuff and the memories of already established Mario characters, and the void had to be filled quickly with dull, second-handed figures from an alternate reality. Origami King's (and even Color Splash's) attempt to establish new settings in spite of the boringly familiar faces that populate them feels like it desperately wants to do the same thing that the past games did, but can't seem to pull it off correctly. It all comes across as uncanny and forced--which Color Splash tried to compensate with parody--and it's a sign that the series, unfortunately, has lost its identity.
I mean, just like M&L titles, these series continue because there are passionate core fans. It'd be nice to give some notable tributes to early titles and fanservice. The later PM titles, aside from new enemies and aids: are just a pure "typical Super Mario in a different artwork", that's a big shame. Even the mainstream Odyssey and LM3 manages to bring more diversity to the universe.

Not sure how much difference Origami King is willing to make, just hope that they're willing to learn and change.

I mean, just like M&L titles, these series continue because there are passionate core fans. It'd be nice to give some notable tributes to early titles and fanservice. The later PM titles, aside from new enemies and aids: are just a pure "typical Super Mario in a different artwork", that's a big shame. Even the mainstream Odyssey and LM3 manages to bring more diversity to the universe.

Not sure how much difference Origami King is willing to make, just hope that they're willing to learn and change.
i sure hope it gets back on track

Back