30 day video game music challenge!

Day 20: music from a racing game

im definitely going with a mario kart song. im not interested in other racing games, much less their music. i guess i like excitebike arena from mk8. it's a nice song

Day 21: Music you associate with frustration

i've never really been frustrated by a song in general, but i guess the danger theme from super paper mario kinda frustrated me as a kid so.....

Day 21: Music you associate with frustration

This level sucks. I hate it. I have absolutely no regrets replacing this music in Super Smash Bros. 4 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Also, a YouTube commenter said this:

If you play this in perfect sync with the original Gusty Garden, it's probably one of the most terrifying things you'll ever hear.

Probably the best use this music has.

Day 21 - Music you associate with frustration

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wart) - For one, I don't like this music much, it gets repetitive after a while, and two, Wart is a hard boss battle. He takes six hits! SMB2 is a game that I generally associate with frustration, because I find it difficult and it took me ages to get through some of the levels.

Day 20: Racing Game

As much as I tried deviating from Mario, well, um, I had to flock back to Mario Kart for this one, but it's a good song. And I think SGoW agrees with my sentiment, because this comes from Mario Kart Wii.

Mario Kart Wii (Koopa Cape)

I actually almost went for Daisy Circuit or even Mushroom Gorge but this is the one.

Day 21: Frustration

This

Castlevania Dracula X (Dance of Illusions)

Not a bad theme by any means but this fight is just... really not my cup of tea. It's more boring and disappointing than outright hard but it still frustrates me to hear this over and over because Dracula just likes to teleport that much.

Day 21: Boss - Sonic Advance

This song is actually inducing panic in me right now please help.

For the longest time I couldn't get past the boss in Ice Mountain Zone without using Tails' flight, and I think that's why I associate this song with panic and frustration. This is my equivalent to the iconic drowning theme, a good choice for this day in it's own right, but one that doesn't quite provide the same feelings that I associate with this song.

And I think SGoW agrees with my sentiment, because this comes from Mario Kart Wii.
You are right in the assumption that I think Mario Kart Wii has a great Soundtrack, because it does, however I'm not too big of a fan of Koopa Cape music-wise. It used to like it, but it just kind of feels a bit generic and mediocre to me now. Daisy Circuit is great, though that might just be because I think of the Sochi 2014 arrangement of it when I think of the song.

day 22: town/village music
uh oh another predictable mario choice lmao. i think tostarena town and mount volbono town both count i just like how cheerful they are. good vibes

alright, time to get the days i missed

day 20 (music from a racing game): Toad's Factory from Mario Kart Wii
...i dont play racing games ok

day 21 (music you associate with frustration): ok so i've been sorta writing things down as i think of them, trying to plan ahead so i dont screw myself over later by choosing something that'll limit my options later on, but this is one of the first ones where i just couldn't think of anything. i know there are songs out there which i associate with frustration but i cant bring any to mind (probably my brain trying to repress those memories to save me from pain). BUT it just so happens that today i took a trip down memory lane and i was playing Crash Twinsanity, which has a boppin' soundtrack and i've found a song that i am very much associating with frustration, which is from the level Slip Slide Icecapades, which is a Cortex snowboarding level. listening to it on youtube its actually a pretty good bop, too bad i can only listen to the first 20 seconds over and over when im playing because i keep dying trying to go over a stupidly designed ramp jump afdegfrgoihrdgohdgi

day 22 (town/village music): this is an interesting category to answer, since its not about genre of the game or a type of feel (e.g. relaxing), but is more related to a location within a game, which i find interesting. the first thing i associate town themes with would be rpgs, and then the second thing i think of is shovel knight's town theme (which i believe someone else used for another category earlier in the thread). but with that being said, i'm gonna go for something of an unconvential pick that still fits the parameters of the question, which is Town of Water ~ Misthallery Day from Professor Layton and the Last Spectre. Professor Layton games always have an exceptional soundtrack, and this one is no exceptions. As you can probably glean from the title, this is the song that plays as you go about exploring the town during the daytime. It's a really peaceful and relaxing song, and to me is really evocative of that quiet little water town, far removed from the hustle and bustle of life in London

Day 22: Town

So that theme from way back then was just hub areas? Well that's kinda dumb. Whatever, it's of little consequence, for I have something for today anyway!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Zora's Domain)

The zora storyline is the first divine beast I went after so I have some preference for it. Even so, this is pretty good stuff.

I am waaaaaay behind, so it's time I catch up with five days a post.

Day 2: Opening level music
Choice
: Puyo Puyo Fever - PuyoPuyo Match, Here I Go!
In Puyo Puyo Fever and its sequel, this is the first theme that plays, but I have a sort of nostalgia for how cheery and upbeat this theme is, compared to the other theme that plays later in the game (Fun Puyo Puyo Hell). The GBA/DS versions of this theme sounded different that I appreciate both the standard versions and the lower-tech versions. It also gets me pumped in popping those Puyos and is a great fit to how differently Sega portrayed their versions of Puyo Puyo characters.

Day 3: 8-bit music
Choice
: Solstice (NES) Title Theme
It's admittedly a bit of struggle to find the best 8-bit music if I don't touch on anything Mario-related (one song from DK 1981 would be my choice), so I settled for a no-brainer one, which is one song from the legendary Tim Follin: Solstice. It started out mellow, but then goes all out in a booming way that makes it quite a memorable and melodious tune.

Day 4: Music from a console-exclusive series
Choice:
Plok's Title Theme
The definition of a console-exclusive series leads me to believe that it's only released for that specific console, which is a bit tough since Splatoon is not a console-exclusive series any more. Therefore, I picked Plok, which is indeed only released on the SNES. Similar to Solstice, it's composed by Tim Follin, and the unique thing about this song is how it used every channel to great effect.

Day 5: Hub world or overworld music
Choice:
Banjo Tooie - Isle o' Hags
My choice would be one of Grant Kirkhope's overworld themes, which incorporate instrument-switching when going to different parts of the overworld, and the different ways the song is played gave it a catchy vibe when the possibilities are thoroughly explored. This is chosen mainly because Donkey Kong 64 is practically a Mario-related game, so this is the next best thing.

Day 6: Music that makes you feel relaxed
Choice:
Bejeweled 3 Classic Mode
I picked this music because, in essence, it's a medley of different tunes that play in the same order, but those different tunes felt natural when they are played one after another, and each theme gives off a nice medieval vibe that this game is largely about, coming from Bejeweled 2's space vibe.

Thank you for reading.

Day 22: A Settlement in the Red Bluffs - Octopath Traveler

Octopath had a real good soundtrack, but what did you expect from this team at this point? I originally considered discussing battle music from it, but I ended up siding with the town theme because it was the first thing to come to mind for today. The Cliftlands town music has a really good jaunty beat to it, and it was a shame in my mind that I didn't have any stories set there for Chapter 3 - it would have been nice to come back there during that chapter and listen to that theme then as well, rather than just twice in Chapter 2. Some of its best town themes were tragically underused, but I'm glad this wasn't one of them!

Day 22: town/village music

usually in game these kinds of locations are the hub world or something, like roqueport in paper mario ttyd. however i'm not going with one that is the hubworld of its game.
i like the music in outset island. it sounds homely and perfectly shows that this is the main character's home. it sounds like a hubworld music even if it's just the starting area in wind waker.

Day 22: Town/village music

crap i should have picked Song of Healing from Majora's Mask for songs that made you feel sad it was pretty perfect

Anyway I went with this theme from Ocarina of Time. I like how cheerful and energetic this piece is, and it's the first you hear in this game, so it has the nostalgia value going for it.

Day 21: The True Arena - Kirby: Triple Deluxe

Anyone who's played one of the last four (five counting KSSU) mainline Kirby games knows how infuriatingly painful it is to even hear the name The True Arena. This theme is not only the title theme for the True Arena in some games, but also that mocking music that plays when you lose. Just hearing the words "the road is long" brings back horrible memories of frustration, and this music certainly doesn't help.

I'll post day 22 when I think of something.

Day 22: Town/village music

Paper Mario 64's Toad Town theme. Has a nice homely feel.

Rogueport and Flipside are both amazing and way better than PM64 Toad Town but that's hard mode for you.
Also BIS Toad Town is probably better.

Day 23: Underrated music

Super Mario Land 2's Graveyard theme. This theme to me really pulled off being creepy and still has the SML2 vibes and does especially well for 8 bit and all restrictions.

Pretty much most of the Super Paper Mario soundtrack is underrated imo, but Soft Light would have to be my pick. Other ones I'd consider very underrated are promise, proof of existence, bowser battle, the tile pool, fort francis, king croacus battle, overthere shrine, destruction of all worlds, tilt island.

day 23: underrated music HELL YEA BABEY
origins music NO CONTEST!!!!!!!!! THESE
fire when wetty is just so super cheerful im just
661528404926922764.png
steampunk suspense is like my single favorite song from the game and god why does no one talk about it. god why is moody clouds music so good like theres also the mosquito one and the mecha factory
i never see anyone talk about either of these which is extremely unfair. ya only ever hear about chasing a dream and treasure chase and yea theyre great but like . Moody Clouds Music

Day 23: Not My Shoes! - Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure

Henry Hatsworth got some level of interest at the time it came out, I remember that. But it never really picked up afterwards, and it just became a relatively obscure footnote. Which is a shame, because it's really good in a bunch of ways! Fun platforming, fun concept, very fun silly story, and excellent music. The pre-3DS handhelds were all good for weird obscure games in a way I don't think the 3DS itself was, which I think is a combination relating to the eshop and the rise of Steam... but that's for another time.

Day 7: Music from an indie game
Choice:
Aquaria - Technique
Indie games are a dime a dozen, so the issue is to pick the song that struck me as a nice song. For this, I picked something from Aquaria, a very old indie game that featured an underwater lady that swims around to explore the sea (this is a Metroidvania game). I felt that this theme is quite calming and majestic, so my choice goes to that theme I mentioned.

Day 8: Music from a shooter
Choice: Splatoon (Wii U) - Splattack
When this theme first played when Splatoon was first revealed, it was a special moment. The music is catchy to complement Nintendo's take on a shooter, featuring squids shooting ink, featuring funky characters. It's also the best representation of the game as this will sometimes play during matches, and given that the sequel doesn't have this them (it does have a remixed version in the DLC but I am not a fan of that), it's one point for this Wii U game.

Day 9: Music from a licensed game
Choice: Asterix & Obelix (SNES) - London
I decided on something from Asterix because some of those games have really nice tunes, and among these, I picked the SNES game that is titled after both characters. This game featured an overall somewhat calming soundtrack so to pick a song can be a bit tricky. Ultimately I picked the one that practically cemented my affection for this soundtrack, which first played in the London level.

Day 10: RPG battle music
Choice: Dragon Quest VIII - War Cry
Even though this theme plays throughout the whole of Dragon Quest VIII, it's still quite lovely to hear, especially the orchestral version. In fact, if I didn't really get tired of a battle theme, that is a very good thing. My other choice would be Final Fantasy 5's battle theme for how simple yet effective it is.

Day 11: Puzzle game music
Choice:
Mr. Driller Drill Land - Boku no Chikyu Bokura no Chikyu
For this, I can't help but pick a Mr. Driller song, mainly because this game has a surprisingly majestic soundtrack for a cutesy puzzle game, as it preferred not to just settle for being merely catchy. Thus, I picked the one that makes me pumped, which featured children singing a song about the earth.

Thank you for reading.

Day 22: Jolly Roger's Lagoon - Banjo-Tooie

Winstein posting Isle o' Hags from Banjo-Tooie reminded that game had a soundtrack, so I've decided to post a song from that game for today. It's a nice and rather jolly (I'm not sorry) song, which feels fairly fitting for a small seaside town. Not much more for me to say about it beyond that.

Day 23: Pole Shift - Border Break Airburst

I don't know much about this game, but it has mechs, and it's by SEGA, so it must be cool.

Day 23: Underrated music

No one talks about Mario Sports Mix's soundtrack and here I am talking about it. There's a lot of great options to pick such as Toad Park, Peach Gardens, Waluigi Pinball, Daisy Garden, Western Junction, Feed Petey, Bob-omb Dodge, the Flower Cup music, Starship music, and so much more, but I'm going with Smash Skate version 2. And look at the views, not much for a VGM which is unfortunate.

Similar to the Mario Kart 7 battle course music, there's a special wacky bar fight-like quality to the music and that makes it zany and enjoyable for me to listen to, especially if it's on the radio in games like GTA V where I'm going on a rampage and spawning tornadoes in that game or in the Sims 4 where I torture my Sims.

Day 23: underrate music

so crowned from kirby return to dreamland is a really nice song. it's epic and sounds threatening. it's a good final boss song. however there's a song that i like more and that people don't really talk about......i think you know where this is going
People always talk about how epic crowned is, while i think this song is way better. it sounds much more epic and it fits the boss even more, mostly because it's more fast paced. i wouldve been perfectly fine if this was the final boss theme, but I honestly think it fits the "boss you think is going to be the final boss but it turns out you fight the final boss right after" really well.

Day 23: Underrated

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (Expedition)

Despite FE12 being my least favorite FE among those I've played, it still had some good things. And one of these good things is its soundtrack. And the best one in there is Expedition, a map theme that plays in various locations: A desert, a magic school, a dragon graveyard, a volcano, and a snowy wasteland, and it fits all of them amazingly well, which pretty much sells the theme. Yet... people everywhere I go claim that the SNES version is superior, which is something I just cannot agree with. This piece is incredible. The original version was alright but like, not on this one's level.

I should play FE3 someday tho. As a game I'll probably like it more than this one, even if its ost may be inferior.

Day 22: Port Village 1 - Super Kirby Clash

Ah, Port Village. Even when you unlock the ability to go to Castle Village from the 3DS installment, I still prefer Port Village. It's calm, has beautiful scenery, but above all, I just love the music. It really evokes this feeling of peace, encouraging me to enjoy the time I spend there. There are two more versions of this tune that play as you buy more Gem Apples, adding more instruments to the melody, but I still really love the calm and peaceful feel of the initial version.

Day 23: Under My Control - Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Yes. I get it. CROWNED is an amazing masterpiece and one of the best final boss themes ever invented. But...Under My Control, the Phase 1 final boss theme, is unfairly shafted as a result. That medley in Star Allies basically had every theme revolving around the final boss...except this one. What is with that? CROWNED is still spectacular, but I still love the action-packed feel of Under My Control just as much, and I wish it got just as much recognition.

Back