Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
I like to get artistic sometimes, so I made this thread to share my Mario-themed artwork. I will showcase several forms of art - drawings, pixel art, origami, and polymer clay sculptures.

To start off, here's a drawing of Goombuigi.

IMG_20200528_172428.jpg

Last edited:

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Here's a digital drawing of Bobby from Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Untitled32_20200805003941.png

I decided to experiment a bit with the style. This version is based off of the style of Bob-ombs from Paper Mario: Color Splash...
Untitled32_20200804211156.png

...and in this version, I tried to replicate the "rough" style from Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Here's the SNES clay controller.
IMG_20201205_135143.jpg
IMG_20201205_135248.jpg
IMG_20201205_135317.jpg
I thought about whether to make the American or PAL version of the controller. I thought about making both, but I didn't have enough white clay, so I made the different button schemes, and used sticky gum to attach them to the controller.

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
I may not be posting as much in here (mainly because of other things in my schedule, plus I have a project planned for Mar10 Day 2021), but in the meantime, I have something else to show. Back in October - November 2019, I had this "phase" where I used to make a lot of sprites from Mario games with perler beads. I made quite a few of them, so I'll show them all here:

I divided them into categories below:

Untitled154_20201218194258.png

Here are emblems of Mario characters, based on their design in Mario Kart Tour. I made these on a circular base, hence why I can't exactly make straight lines with them (such as in Waluigi's emblem).

Untitled155_20201218194323.png

Here are various characters that I made. They're based off of the Mystery Mushroom sprites from Super Mario Maker, though some have minor modifications (such as Luigi's face, which is based off the Mario Party 8 sprite).

Untitled156_20201218194427.png

From here, I based the Kart Mario sprite from the SMM costume, and for the others, I made them mostly from scratch, using their standard sprites and the Super Mario Kart sprites as a basis. Lazer, I made Luigi in the Poltergust 4000, and I originally planned to make other special karts. (Also, ignore that one dislocated bead on Yoshi, that was an error in ironing.)

Untitled158_20201218194520.png

Here are special versions of characters. They're all made from their SMM costume sprites (besides Builder Luigi, he's from Super Mario Maker 2). With Golden Mario, I had to adjust the color palette because I the beads that I had didn't have as many colors.

Untitled160_20201218194630.png

Here are some enemies from the Mario series. They are based off their Super Mario Bros. sprites, with the exception of Boo, who's from Super Mario Land 2 for some reason.

Untitled161_20201218194649.png

Here are various items and objects from the Mario series. Some of these are based from their modern appearances (such as the Super Bell), others are from sprites from older games.

Untitled159_20201218194602.png
Untitled162_20201218194821.png

The last category consists of Mario and Luigi's sprites from various games, specifically SMB, SMB3, SMM2, SMB2, M&L:SS, and SMO. Despite the fact that I had to reduce the color palette for the M&L sprites, I really like how they turned out.

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
It's been a while ... I still plan on making something for Mar10 Day, I just don't know what yet. While looking for inspiration, I stumbled upon something else I made back in 2019.

I was planning on making a Mario calendar, with a different picture and theme for each month. I planned a different game style for each month (January - Space, February - Snow, March - Grassland, April - Forest, May - Sky, June - Underwater, July - Beach, August - Desert, September - Airship, October - Ghost House, November - Underground, December - Castle), but only ended up completing two. Here they are:

Untitled202_20210307211743.png

Untitled203_20210307211808.png

I based these off of NSMB DS, Wii, and U screenshots, combining what I considered to be the most distinct, fitting, or unique enemies and landscapes for each style (such as the pyramid in August and the Jack-O'Goombas in October). Looking back, I'm quite proud of these, and I partially want to finish this long-abandoned project. The problem is, I remember starting on the other months, but can't remember where I put them.

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Happy Mar10 Day! To celebrate, I have several things to show.

First, I made something out of clay. I wanted this to be my big project for Mar10 Day, and I wanted it to highlight the evolution of the Mario series. I decided to make one power-up/item from every mainline Super Mario game, since I noticed that most of them highlight or focus on a specific power-up or item (such as the Super Leaf in Super Mario Bros. 3, or the Super Hammer in Super Mario Maker 2). Unfortunately, I only made 10 of them by today. I still plan on making the rest, hopefully by this weekend. Here are the ones that I've made so far:
IMG_20210310_191208.jpg
IMG_20210310_191343.jpg

Second, I made a remix of the File Select theme from Super Mario 64. It's my first Mario remix, and I'm thinking about doing more of them in the future. I uploaded it onto YouTube, here's the link.

Lastly, here's something I made for last year's Mar10 Day, before I joined the Boards. This was during a time when I into sprite making a lot (I was mostly doing recolors, which was actually what inspired me to make the character of Goombuigi).
Happy Mar10 Day 2.png

(And before you ask why I didn't include anything past 1996, it's because due the size of the sprites from games like Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy, they wouldn't be able to fit in the picture.)

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Today I continued my quest to make a power-up/item from every Super Mario game, and I made six more today!

I'm especially proud of Cappy, because I had to make five layers for the eyes, and since I worked at a small scale, I was surprised how well he turned out.

IMG_20210311_212600.jpg

IMG_20210311_213027.jpg

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
I finally completed all of the power-ups and items! Here are the remaining six.
IMG_20210314_173203.jpg

Out of all of them, FLUDD was definitely the hardest to make. Whereas the others took 20-30 minutes to make, FLUDD took about an hour, due to the sheer amount of detail he has.
IMG_20210314_173230.jpg

Here is the full lineup - one power-up or item from each mainline Mario game, from Super Mario Bros. up to Super Mario Maker 2. For most of these, I used their modern 3D designs, but for the Superball Flower and the Mystery Mushroom, I made 3D models of the 2D sprites.
IMG_20210314_173555.jpg

Super Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.)
Fire Flower (Super Mario Bros.)
Poison Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels)
Turnip (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Superball Flower (Super Mario Land)
Super Leaf (Super Mario Bros. 3)
Cape Feather (Super Mario World)
Super Carrot (Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins)
Wing Cap (Super Mario 64)
FLUDD (Super Mario Sunshine)
Mini Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros.)
Bee Mushroom (Super Mario Galaxy)
Propeller Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Cloud Flower (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Boomerang Flower (Super Mario 3D Land)
Gold Flower (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
Super Acorn (New Super Mario Bros. U)
Super Bell (Super Mario 3D World)
Mystery Mushroom (Super Mario Maker)
Coin Rush Star (Super Mario Run)
Cappy (Super Mario Odyssey)
Super Hammer (Super Mario Maker 2)

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Here's a new drawing of me. I tried to make this one as polished as possible, so that 1. I could potentially use it as an avatar, and 2. so that I could use it as a reference point for whatever I need to.
Untitled219_20210416231207.png

Here's another drawing I made. I've been thinking about my OC design a bit lately, especially since it isn't very creative, and I came up with it and did the sprite in about 5 minutes. While I do like my OC as a parallel to Goombario, I was thinking about how I would design him if I didn't restrict myself to him being a recolor of Goombario, so I decided to try this experiment with him. I allowed myself to use more creativity and try to make a more unique avatar. To make this clear, I'm not intending for this design to replace my current one, but rather to be an alternative, experimental design.
Untitled220_20210417003304.png

I might adjust or add a few things later, but for now, I added a "G" on the cap, gave him the socks that Luigi has in Superstar Saga artwork, green eyes, and a Luigi medal-thing. I think this design is a lot more lively, but at the same time, I think I prefer the simplicity of my standard design.

Booguette

Wannabe shroomfest judge
I finally completed all of the power-ups and items! Here are the remaining six.
View attachment 10426

Out of all of them, FLUDD was definitely the hardest to make. Whereas the others took 20-30 minutes to make, FLUDD took about an hour, due to the sheer amount of detail he has.
View attachment 10427

Here is the full lineup - one power-up or item from each mainline Mario game, from Super Mario Bros. up to Super Mario Maker 2. For most of these, I used their modern 3D designs, but for the Superball Flower and the Mystery Mushroom, I made 3D models of the 2D sprites.
View attachment 10424
Super Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.)
Fire Flower (Super Mario Bros.)
Poison Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels)
Turnip (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Superball Flower (Super Mario Land)
Super Leaf (Super Mario Bros. 3)
Cape Feather (Super Mario World)
Super Carrot (Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins)
Wing Cap (Super Mario 64)
FLUDD (Super Mario Sunshine)
Mini Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros.)
Bee Mushroom (Super Mario Galaxy)
Propeller Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Cloud Flower (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Boomerang Flower (Super Mario 3D Land)
Gold Flower (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
Super Acorn (New Super Mario Bros. U)
Super Bell (Super Mario 3D World)
Mystery Mushroom (Super Mario Maker)
Coin Rush Star (Super Mario Run)
Cappy (Super Mario Odyssey)
Super Hammer (Super Mario Maker 2)
Man that F.L.U.D.D looks right out of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse Mario edition