Paper Mario: The Origami King

I think I know why Nintendo's doing this, notice how series like Pokemon aren't really popular or skyward sword wasn't? Or NSMBU? It's because it's burnt out. So Nintendo is trying to keep the series fresh.
I find it strange you deem Pokemon as "not really popular" but piece of trash Sword and Shield broke sales records while Pokemon has been stagnating as a series for a really long time, which makes me feel concerned for humanity! Gamers make for horrible boycotters and it seems like they don't give a care that these developers have been whittling content away while demanding more money. As my sister said, if Madden can get away with being an even more content-sapped and more exploitative disease masqueraded as game, Pokemon certainly can.

I wonder if Peachette might appear for the good ole lookalike Peach to fool someone gag

Sure, that only happened in Superstar Saga and NSMBW but now we have a actual Peach lookalike, it might be a good time to use this gag, besides, Toadette seems to be appearing in every Mario game lately

I wonder if Peachette might appear for the good ole lookalike Peach to fool someone gag

Sure, that only happened in Superstar Saga and NSMBW but now we have a actual Peach lookalike, it might be a good time to use this gag, besides, Toadette seems to be appearing in every Mario game lately
Hell no. There is simply no way they are gonna do that

so gamexplain uploaded this video 2 days ago and noone posted it here so i thought i would. it's pretty long, but i found it interesting

wow that Mario artwork actually gave his hand the proper amount of fingers at that angle, making Luigi's even more perplexing

oh yeah i just realized that the luigi artwork im using as my pfp rn only has 4 fingers on his left hand. that's pretty weird cause usually paper mario always has the right amount of fingers in his artworks
1592337768244.png

1592337822388.png

1592337902484.png

I think it's an oversight since the hand is directly derived from the one in the TTYD sprite. Luigi even has all his fingers in his SPM art:
472px-Luigi_SPM_artwork.jpg

which, the perspective on the hand is basically the same, just rotated. Which makes them missing that detail on the TOK art even more jarring- it seems like with this game most of the artwork is traced from the in-game sprites, which in turn appear to be traced from pre-assembled TTYD sprites. So that error just managed to get through every time.

edit:
I just noticed one of the images you posted is a fan-made one shopped together from pieces of others. I've seen this shop all over the place and it seems to get mistaken for official art a lot. As someone who used to make those kinds of crude Frankenstein artworks, it's very glaring to me lol. Look at the outlines around the front of his face, they did a poor job cutting that out.

Last edited:
I just noticed one of the images you posted is a fan-made one shopped together from pieces of others. I've seen this shop all over the place and it seems to get mistaken for official art a lot. As someone who used to make those kinds of crude Frankenstein artworks, it's very glaring to me lol. Look at the outlines around the front of his face, they did a poor job cutting that out.
That's also not getting into the pose. Awkward, and the silhouette has a bad pinch where the extended arm meets the body and face. Also the hand holding the belly is just... who makes that pose?

I mean for all we know Mario may not be holding his belly but actually be putting his hand on his hip, which is a more natural pose. Paper Mario's body is just so round that the hips are not discernible.

North American site has been updated:

Several things to take away from it.

• Mario and Luigi receive an invitation from Princess Peach to attend an origami festival and excitedly hurry to Toad Town…but something's amiss. After investigating the eerily empty town, the duo finds a fearsome (and folded) Princess Peach—she's been turned into origami by King Olly, self-proclaimed ruler of the Origami Kingdom! With five giant streamers under his control, King Olly binds Princess Peach's Castle and transports it to a distant mountain as part of his plan to re-fold the world.
  • These dicks always wait until a festival starts to cause some sort of havok don't they?
  • "Bobby" is called Bob-omb. He introduces himself "for real" after some further interaction with him.
  • Explorer Toad is called "Professor Toad"
  • A captain Toad is called "Captain T. Ode" which I don't like the name of.
  • There are bosses called "Vellumentals" where you use their powers after they are defeated, which reminds me of a lot of traditional JRPG mechanics such as Shin Megami Tensei or Chocobo Mystery Dungeon. The phoenix and turtle bosses are the Vellumentals.
  • The game has a forced motion control gimmick when you use the 1000 arms ability and I'm not looking forward to that.

I really like the open world environment design I've seen so far by the way.

I wouldn't care about the forced motion controls were it not for the fact that BOTH OF MY JOYCONS HAVE DRIFT AND I SPECIFICALLY BOUGHT A PRO CONTROLLER SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THAT

I hope this still works in handheld mode...this would be a pretty garbage excuse to make this unplayable on Switch Lite over an arbitrary motion gimmick
i strongly agree, whilst i don't intend on buying the lite version myself several other people will and i'm against making a game unplayable to those players unless it's absolutely necessary which i doubt 1000 fold arms is

yeah hopefully this game doesn't force an OG switch. if the motion controls can work with the Lite, that's better but still having optional button controls is the best possible solution

Reactions: zel
Back