Paper Mario: The Origami King

I would have like to have seen Wario and Waluigi be some of the companions that follow you around. That would have been interesting.

I would have like to have seen Wario and Waluigi be some of the companions that follow you around. That would have been interesting.
That would be cool. Hmm....What if they had you pick a character? Like instead of playing as mario you could play as Luigi, Wario, or Waluigi?

After rewatching the trailer I'm still not seeing any evidence of EXP being a thing, which is concerning. They're still probably withholding information from us but if this game has no EXP like Sticker Star and Color Splash that's going to bog down the battle system no matter how fun it is.

After rewatching the trailer I'm still not seeing any evidence of EXP being a thing, which is concerning. They're still probably withholding information from us but if this game has no EXP like Sticker Star and Color Splash that's going to bog down the battle system no matter how fun it is.
There is no way they would take that away, that's the whole point of Turn Based Combat, they probably arn't showing it because there is little reason to.

There is no way they would take that away, that's the whole point of Turn Based Combat, they probably arn't showing it because there is little reason to.
And yet there was no EXP mechanic in the previous two Paper Mario games, which makes it more concerning.

you can make good rpgs without exp; it has been done before. it wasn't the inherent lack of exp that sticker star and color splash suffered from but no reason to battle plus consumables for attacks that made pointless battling a detriment to your moveset.

you can make good rpgs without exp; it has been done before. it wasn't the inherent lack of exp that sticker star and color splash suffered from but no reason to battle plus consumables for attacks that made pointless battling a detriment to your moveset.
Well so far The Origami King hasn't shown us a reason to battle either to my knowledge.
The fact you now have expendable weapons (which seem to be handled much better than in previous games) doesn't help matters.

i mean you probably battle for the good loot drops and money for better equipment. you skip easy battles (which you also do in the first games too may I add) and or you just use your regular attacks that don't consume what you have. it looks like a step up from the previous one there, but we'll see how they'll handle the lootdrop.

i mean you probably battle for the good loot drops and money for better equipment. you skip easy battles (which you also do in the first games too may I add) and or you just use your regular attacks that don't consume what you have. it looks like a step up from the previous one there, but we'll see how they'll handle the lootdrop.
If there are loot drops I hope they're at least substantial. Color Splash had a problem where the Coins, Paint, and Cards it gave you for battles weren't that useful because the game practically showers you with Coins, Paint, and Cards. Your consumable attacks didn't help matters either, so fleeing from battle was legitimately the most effective strategy against enemies. I just hope The Origami King fares better in that regard because the new battle system actually looks fun.

I think I'd like to elaborate why I like the "mundane objects as bad guys" a lot.

I'm a sucker for stupid concepts. Like a lot. It's probably the main reason Baby Luigi is my all-time favorite character, since his inclusion as a playable racer in a Mario Kart game as a baby racing at the same time as Luigi is incredibly stupid. To me, the Mario series is always something you laugh at, something you make fun of, something you don't take seriously, as their first games had you grow from mushrooms, flowers make you shoot fire, and stomp on evil turtles, and I strongly prefer the Paper Mario games to continue going in that direction, since I believe it runs in spirit to what Mario games are and it's consistent with the rest of the series.

[...]

I can see where you're coming from, and indeed the Mario franchise works best when approached in an absurd way. With mushrooms and flowers that give the characters powers, or adults co-existing with their baby selves, as you said, the entire premise of Super Mario Bros. is absurd by design. It thus allows the universe of Mario to be versatile and easily adopt something as silly as paper to define its reality.

That said, within this realm of absurdity, older Paper Mario has shown to be able to handle some depth in its worldbuilding. It wasn't just about Shy Guys, or Koopa Troopas, or Tape; it was also about various other species, such as anthropomorphic dogs, crows, fleas, many of which were (rather cartoonishly, I must admit) presented as societies. Heck, even the usual Mario species had distinct traits that didn't necessarily amount to, say, Toad wearing a hat; the traits were more intrinsic, like hair and mustache. Characters of diverse flavours and origin have instilled an air of separation from the mainline games, and have somewhat turned Paper Mario into its own smaller franchise with a special identity. You look at the first three Paper Mario games and you see it, they are undeniably different from regular Mario. The characters may have worked on absurd principles, such as being able to fold into a paper airplane, but it's something they mainly took for granted while otherwise interacting and co-existing just as we do.

My main concern with the newer games is that the creators are perhaps too keen on making the series all about the absurdity. Along with cutting down on the uniqueness that made up the originals, and embracing the apparent shallowness of the mainline games, you end up with a "Ceci n'est pas un pipe" situation where the world pokes fun at itself constantly and every single encounter is treated as a joke. Nothing attempts to be serious anymore, it's just a big parody because the logic of "hey, wait a minute, this is just Mario as paper" has taken over. Story-wise, while the older games were far from being "deep", I still found the cheesiness to be rather endearing and this was lost in translation with the newer games.

The point is, does Paper Mario really need to be the same as the basic Mario games, just with paper and other handicraft materials? Would it not be nicer to have it treated as a little more distinct than that?

Last edited:
Apparently when enemies are defeated they drop confetti, which is needed to progress, so there is definitely at least one necessary reason to battle.
The evidence for this is near the end of a very long GameXplain vid, but to summarize it basically shows Mario defeating an enemy and moving on; however, confetti dropped from the enemy kinda gets sucked towards him as he moves away.

Cool.

Maybe you also need confetti to upgrade your stuff? Or does that just cost money?

The point is, does Paper Mario really need to be the same as the basic Mario games, just with paper and other handicraft materials? Would it not be nicer to have it treated as a little more distinct than that?

Considering how the "basic Mario games" will radically change themselves from game to game (nsmb series aside) it's kinda hard to make the "Paper Mario was distinct" argument.

Okay, imma be honest, the game is looking amazing. Interesting new worlds, charcacters that seem to have personallity and a unique battle system that doesn't use consumable attacks. I wasn't a big fan of the latest two games' battle system, dispite not playing the fist two pm games. But this time battling seems really fun. Alot of people just want to go back to TTYD, but then it wouldn't be a new game, just a rehased TTYD.
I agree with you. It looks promising compared to the last two Paper Mario Games. And if this game was like TTYD, it would be "unoriginal". TTYD is my favorite game in the series, but I doubt Nintendo will make another one like it. I'm just glad we're finally getting partners back, and a promising new battle system.

I agree with you. It looks promising compared to the last two Paper Mario Games. And if this game was like TTYD, it would be "unoriginal". TTYD is my favorite game in the series, but I doubt Nintendo will make another one like it. I'm just glad we're finally getting partners back, and a promising new battle system.
I think I know why Nintendo's doing this, notice how series like Pokemon aren't really popular or skyward sword wasn't? Or NSMBU? It's because it's burnt out. So Nintendo is trying to keep the series fresh.

personally i don't want EVERYTHING to be 100% like ttyd, i want general originality, and i do want the game to stand out from the first three games as well as the last two, but i think it would greatly improve my experience to have more original enemies and bring back the enemies introduced by the first three games, and just to have more interesting characters in general and all.

My ideal paper mario is one that uses the core gameplay formula of TTYD, but with a new story, new partners and new abilities to fit these changes but that still work within the core formula of PM64/TTYD.

Eh, I read your piece about the music and I sorta disagree with it. Music in of itself is a gigantic genre with VGM generally being a subgenre and there are some genres in VGM that are underutilized, and saying, "No other piece of music in the world holds quite the same emotional power as [Soft Light]." ...well that's a hugely bold claim to make considering its competition, which includes an unfathomable amount of nonVGM, instrumental and otherwise.

Two precisations:

Paper Mario: Color Splash had unique battle rewards in the form of Hammer Scraps, they were indeed an EXP system (with numbered values, too, it wasn't just aesthetics, as the more glittery the scraps were, the more EXP they gave). Its effect was increasing the maximum available paint each time the bar was filled. That said Hammer Scraps were mostly useless because of the game showering Mario with fully painted cards and coins is a different argument on a different part of game design, Color Splash had an EXP system in any case.

Secondly, as controversial and "stale" as Sword and Shield were, these two Pokémon games sold amazingly well. They are a lot popular, they are just disliked by many fans.

Pokemon is like Nintendo's Madden. It will sell no matter how lazy and contemptuous the games are.

Back