Paper Mario: The Origami King

That's a thing? It's a pretty common trope that in almost all cases doesn't mean anything.
Eh, just because it's common doesn't mean it's good or inherently harmless. I recall a critique on that trope, but don't exactly remember where. We're fine making a tape dispenser be called a tape dispenser.

i take it you liked color splash and federation force? cool. i and a large majority didn't. he produced those. (and had an encroaching influence unlike in dkctf's production where he was mostly shut down by the team at retro studios.)

he's just very stubborn. or perhaps he's simply not fit for his job; his talents are more welcome elsewhere. and it's not any job he has, he's a producer for a multi-million dollar gaming corporation with a fanbase and huge expectations. this was the meaning behind my original snarky "toddlers" comment.

You'll excuse me if I don't feel any sympathy.

ok edgelord, chill, we're talking video games here, not politics.

i take it you liked color splash and federation force? cool. i and a large majority didn't. he produced those. (and had an encroaching influence unlike in dkctf's production where he was mostly shut down by the team at retro studios.)

he's just very stubborn. or perhaps he's simply not fit for his job; his talents are more welcome elsewhere. and it's not any job he has, he's a producer for a multi-million dollar gaming corporation with a fanbase and huge expectations.

ok edgelord, chill, we're talking video games here, not politics.
I mean didn't he also help with Luigi's Mansion 3

ok edgelord, chill, we're talking video games here.

i mean with extremely condescending comments that call for resignation of staff members such as this:

can we please, PLEASE, kick Tanabe out of the office and leave him make his stupid little web games for toddlers?

how about you take your own advice before you call people "edgelords"?

I mean didn't he also help with Luigi's Mansion 3

i haven't played it yet but i've heard people complain about it in certain regards, don't know if it's because of him

i mean with extremely condescending comments that call for resignation of staff members

i have an issue with the content he helps create, and it's controversial indeed. i feel in the right to say so. again, his talents may be more valued elsewhere.

the "no sympathy" comment can't be interpreted in any other way than "you're human garbage". i find that more insulting.

Last edited:
Video game development operate on committee.

i.e. @A Hungarian Mushroom is willing to pin blame (or even suggesting blame) on a single person for perceived problems of a game (even in something great like Luigi's Mansion) when there's an entire team and tons of discussion involved making a game

i don't want to disrespect the staff at nintendo as even for games which are generally reacted to negatively there is still lots of work from many people just... the first three games for me are really good and i want paper mario to feel the same again

i.e. @A Hungarian Mushroom is willing to pin blame (or even suggesting blame) on a single person for perceived problems of a game (even in something great like Luigi's Mansion) when there's an entire team and tons of discussion involved making a game

this is a well-sourced reddit post that details the problems with tanabe:

the post explains that the projects he takes complete control over, such as in the case of paper mario, turn out disasterous/against people's general expectations. unlike dkcr, dkctf and (probably) lm3

i don't want to disrespect the staff at nintendo as even for games which are generally reacted to negatively there is still lots of work from many people just... the first three games for me are really good and i want paper mario to feel the same again
This is sort of where I'm at too. That said The Origami King still looks like it'll be fun in its own right, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I'm going to tell everyone here to take a chill pill. We've got some people going too far in this thread, and I'd like everyone to drop the argumentiveness and try to discuss things peacefully. If we can't have that, I'll have to start deleting posts and kicking people out of the thread.

And no, nobody is allowed to say "but I wasn't being argumentative" in an effort to justify getting the last word in. Consider discussion restarted from here.

so yeah anyway, havent posted here after the new trailer.

it looks fucing amazing and i cant wait to get this game

I think I'd like to elaborate why I like the "mundane objects as bad guys" a lot.

I'm a sucker for stupid concepts. Like a lot. It's probably the main reason Baby Luigi is my all-time favorite character, since his inclusion as a playable racer in a Mario Kart game as a baby racing at the same time as Luigi is incredibly stupid. To me, the Mario series is always something you laugh at, something you make fun of, something you don't take seriously, as their first games had you grow from mushrooms, flowers make you shoot fire, and stomp on evil turtles, and I strongly prefer the Paper Mario games to continue going in that direction, since I believe it runs in spirit to what Mario games are and it's consistent with the rest of the series. And because it stands in such a stark contrast to prior Paper Mario games, rather from being a designed, named organic fictional character with a face, you get pretty much the opposite, with a mundane, everyday, faceless, real life object presented as a threat to the characters, and yet the characters react the same way to this boss as they would any other boss. To me, that's what makes it stand out more than yet another big, differently colored Mario enemy in a different outfit with a name that I will forget.

Hell, a lot of my appreciation of the mundane being turned into this runs parallel to my appreciation of the anti-art movement in modern art history in general such as turning a urinal into a sink or the Pollock abstract expressionist movement where all he did was splatter paint all over the canvas. It makes you relook at innocent harmless everyday objects such as a tape roll, and honestly, I can think of all the ways the developers are thinking, "how can we make a tape roll dangerous to a flat character in an RPG system?" and limiting the developers to a mundane object really helps people get creative rather than the other way around by being just "generic".

Yeah, there is a line of being too absurd for Mario (look at Wario games) but the game also mixes up boss fights with more..."serious" designs for the lack of a better word such as the fiery phoenix and turtle bosses as well, so you don't suffer from overuse of the same types of humor throughout the entire game.

According to the UK website Luigi gets to do stuff.

Not with Mario but he's doing stuff.

It's something at least. I mean he's on the website so maybe he's of importance.

On a different note, Olivia gains the ability to turn into various monsters, I swear if the final boss isn't King Olly turning himself into various forms (none of which are Bowser like) I'll be disappointed.

Like you got a badguy whose gimmick is folding things and himself into various forms, take full advantage of that please.

I'd really like it if those familiar objects, which aren't used at all in origami, are used because King Olly is such a talentless hack, he improvises with these objects and makes Frankenstein origami monsters.

Aight so I think the game looks amazing, and way better than Sticker Star and Color Splash. Color Splash was already good imo, but this will hopefully surpass it. If battling has some kind of benefit, then I think I'll enjoy the game even more. That was a big problem with the previous two games: battling was an annoyance, not something that helped you.
Even in Super Paper Mario you leveled up, getting more and more powerful. Even if it's just that again I'll be happy. I'd rather not just have Zelda's heart containers after every major battle.

Even if all of this doesn't happen, I think I'll still enjoy it; I liked Color Splash, so I think this one will be good.

Back