Poll Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for a new poll! Throw yourself back to the old days, because we're going down to an arcade for this one.

Recently, the Mario franchise has had varied but inconsistent arcade releases. What direction would you like to see taken with future arcade Mario titles?
  • I would prefer Nintendo-developed arcade titles featuring gameplay closer to console releases.
  • I would like to see more third-party developed arcade titles that feature gameplay experiences unique to the arcade format (e.g. Mario Kart Arcade GP).
  • I would like to see more physically-based arcade titles such as slot machines and claw machines (e.g. the Mario Party arcades).
  • I would like for Nintendo to reproduce their classic retro arcade titles with new machines (e.g. Donkey Kong and Mario Bros.).
  • I would like to see more arcade titles and would be open to any of the above varieties.
  • I do not want more arcade titles and would prefer Nintendo focus on their console and/or mobile offerings.
  • I have no opinion on this subject.

For myself... I'm going to be selfish and go with option six because I'm nowhere near an arcade and I wouldn't get to play any arcade games anyways.

No opinion. I haven't played any of the arcade offerings myself, so this is the only logical choice.

Option 6. Unless you're somehow able to purchase one of the arcade machines, you don't get ownership over the game. You have to go somewhere else to play it, and when you get there, someone may already be using the machine. You're also at the mercy of the establishment since they may take down the machine or even close down entirely at any time.

I'm also in the same situation as Pitohui but that's beside the point

arcade games are neat but theres isnt anything they can do that consoles cant do tbh

i can understand this from a software standpoint, but if im being honest, i dont think you're quite right here, and the major reason i say this is completely from a hardware standpoint. the cool thing about arcade games is that you can make unique control schemes and immersive control schemes that are too impractical for a home console experience. i played a mario kart arcade gp 2 cabinet once and it had the expected arcade racing setup of steering wheel, pedals, chair etc to simulate feeling like you're in an actual vehicle. the F-Zero AX cabinet next to it took it a step further and had a chair that actually tilted left and right as you steered the wheel! to look at non-racing genres, you have classic rhythm games like dance dance revolution which has the directional dance floor, and taiko no tasujin which has giants drums to simulate the experience of... drumming! and of course, things like light gun shooters have been around for ages too.
now, can you get accessories to emulate this experience? in the examples i gave, yeah, you probably can. but they're almost always going to cost extra, and in most cases it won't be as high quality as the actual arcade experience (e.g. getting a usb steering wheel set will cost a pretty penny, and you'd have to pay even more to get a moving chair; taiko has a drum controller for home use, but it looks like a little baby's toy compared to the actual arcade machine). and that's not to mention all the arcade games out there that are unique and don't have any home console equivalents, which i'm sure at least a handful of exist (i havent been to a genuine arcade like, ever, so i dont have any offhand examples soz).
i'm not someone who particularly cares for arcade games, since i do think they're generally not great value (paying $2 for a single race of mario kart was a bit lame), but i think there's room for a certain kind of unique and valuable experience to be provided by them that you can't get on console, something unique that actually is worth paying that $2. creating experiences that are too expensive or impractical to do on console/pc/handheld seems like it would be a good way to move forward if the arcade industry wants to continue to be relevant, even though i know that will still have limitations in how many people will be able to experience it compared to console games.

to answer the poll question, i guess i would be along the lines of option 2, although im not really sure why it specifies it has to be a third party? at any rate, using nintendo ips to create experiences unique to their given hardware is already a very nintendo thing to do, so to see nintendo or their third-party partners making arcade games with mario that have fun and interesting mechanics only practical with arcade hardware sounds like it would be pretty neat, even if there's a 99% chance i'll never experience it for myself

It's time for a new poll, and this one has a pretty unique question. F.L.U.D.D. kicked off the trend of Mario having unique companions that expanded his moveset, but, unlike Luigi and the Poltergust, he hasn't used it that much since Sunshine. Do you think he should use it more?

Mario has only used F.L.U.D.D. in one Super Mario game. Would you like to see more games featuring Mario using F.L.U.D.D.?
  • I would like a new platformer with F.L.U.D.D. as the main mechanic, either as a follow-up to Super Mario Sunshine or another platformer.
  • I would prefer a spin-off game that repurposes F.L.U.D.D. in a different way from Super Mario Sunshine.
  • I would settle for F.L.U.D.D. having a minor focus (e.g., Super Smash Bros. series) or for a reference (e.g., Super Mario Odyssey's Gushen).
  • I would prefer Mario continue to receive companions or use inventions similar to but distinct from F.L.U.D.D. (e.g., Cappy)
  • I would like to see Mario and F.L.U.D.D paired together again, but only in non-game media.
  • I prefer it if Mario stopped using F.L.U.D.D. in any capacity.

As for myself... I think that I have to go with option five here. I don't think F.L.U.D.D should be entirely abandoned in the Mario franchise, but I do think it's best to keep experimenting with the games - so, give him more spotlight in the non-game parts of the franchise!

Option 5. As much as I would like to see F.L.U.D.D. again, it's better for Nintendo to keep experimenting with the series instead of bringing old features back.

I'm going to make my own option, I think it would be cool if FLUDD returned but wasn't necessarily the main gimmick of the game. Have several different gadgets that Mario can utilize throughout the game instead of relegating the entire game to a single special ability like FLUDD or Cappy. Basically, bring FLUDD back as one of many powerups rather than the game's main gimmick.

I'll say Option 4. I like F.L.U.D.D. and Cappy, so I would like to see a companion similar to them, but with a different theme and gimmick (like the focus on water with F.L.U.D.D. and capturing with Cappy).

It's time for a new poll, and, this time, we're interested in knowing how you treat Donkey Kong when it comes celebrating Mario's anniversary and the anniversary of the Super Mario franchise.

Should Nintendo use Donkey Kong (1981) as the basis of the anniversary celebrations for the Super Mario franchise over Super Mario Bros. (1985)?
  • Nintendo should recognize Mario's Donkey Kong origins, and use the date of Donkey Kong's release as the only anniversary date for the Super Mario franchise.
  • It is fine to use Super Mario Bros. as a reference for the Super Mario franchise's anniversary, but there should also be official anniversary acknowledgements of the Super Mario franchise's origins in Donkey Kong.
  • Super Mario Bros. should strictly be considered the start of the Super Mario franchise for anniversary purposes, but Donkey Kong should strictly be considered the anniversary of Mario as a character
  • There is no need for official acknowledgement of Donkey Kong for anniversary purposes, but continued references to Donkey Kong in the Super Mario series are appreciated.
  • Super Mario Bros. should be the only basis for anniversaries of Mario and the Super Mario franchise, and Donkey Kong should be considered separate from the Super Mario franchise.

For me, I have to go with option three. I think it's a bit odd to say Mario didn't debut until Super Mario Bros. when Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. exist, but I do think the Super Mario franchise really started with SMB.

Option 3. While the first Mario game was Donkey Kong (Arcade), a lot of people like SMB better because it has more depth, relies less on luck, and just feels better to play in my opinion. That's why Donkey Kong (Arcade) should be restricted to Mario's creation.

Honestly, the Mario franchise isn't strictly the platformers so I'd appreciate its anniversary being the actual game that started it, rather than the one that started the particular style of game that became the main series. Any timeline of games starring Mario should include Donkey Kong- it's dumb that anything Mario was in before SMB1 gets ignored in the anniversary stuff.

As an advocate for Mario's origins in Donkey Kong (even being one of the first threads I made), I would appreciate it if Donkey Kong (arcade) gets acknowledged more often regarding Mario's history. It never gets referenced in official materials but there are supplementary materials that do acknowledge this, such as in the Switch News. It's not like Donkey Kong is some unmitigated failure that would garner embarrassment, but in fact, that game was a monumental success and was the birth of Mario, and it paved the way for Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros.

Moreover, the reason I prefer that Donkey Kong gets acknowledged as Mario's anniversary is due to how common it is of a misconception for people to consider Mario's (the character) anniversary in Super Mario Bros., as if Luigi is older than Mario since the Year of Luigi acknowledged Luigi's 1983 anniversary.

Thank you for reading.

i understand why super mario bros is the one they keep celebrating since it was like, the most important video game of all time, but sometimes i feel like they just kinda ignore donkey kong, and that sucks. like, at least as of now, we're not getting anything special to celebrate the games 40th anniversary, and that's an important game for them since it's the reason mario exists. if they wanna make some kinda donkey kong country anniversary thing or whatever, fine, just wait for dkcs anniversary, but the original donkey kong definitely deserves more attention

I mean, a lot of stuff like this is similar in other facets too:

Fortnite? Not even PUBG was the first battle-royale game. But it's absolutely genre defining.
Doom? Not even close to being the first FPS.
Model T Ford? Not the first car.
Edison's lightbulb? Not the first lightbulb.
Pong? Not the first video game.

I think it's reasonable to keep it at Super Mario Bros. because it was the game that codified the Mario series.

It's time for a new poll! And what a fitting time for this one, with E3 around the corner and all these rumors of a Switch Pro floating about.

With the Switch past the fourth year of its life, what next step do you hope to see Nintendo take with their console line?
  • I would like to see a new version of the Switch that improves its power and graphics, allowing it to run more (graphically) intensive games.
  • I would like to see a new version of the Switch that improves its battery life and makes quality of life adjustments to make it even more portable.
  • Nintendo should release a new console which builds on the Switch, but has its own brand and identity.
  • Nintendo should release a console wholly unlike the Switch, with a new focus and core concept.
  • The Nintendo Switch Lite provides the best template for Nintendo to follow, and their future releases should be dedicated handhelds.
  • There's no need for a new console; Nintendo should focus on supporting the Nintendo Switch with new game releases and expanded online services.

As for myself... I must say, I think I simply favor handhelds, but I think the Switch's ability to dock is pretty nifty. I don't think it's time quite yet for a new console, so I think I'll pick option two. Give me a Switch that's even more convenient to use as a handheld!

Also fix your controllers, Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back