Wii U and 3DS eShops to shut down in late March 2023

I can't really say much about how it's shitty from a preservationist standpoint because everyone else on the internet already has. What I'm more interested in is how it will throw off the Wii U modding scene. You need the DS game in order to install Haxchi, so will they find a new way to run exploits like that?

I can't really say much about how it's shitty from a preservationist standpoint because everyone else on the internet already has. What I'm more interested in is how it will throw off the Wii U modding scene. You need the DS game in order to install Haxchi, so will they find a new way to run exploits like that?

There are other exploits to be used such as the loadiine method, which is one I personally use.

There are other exploits to be used such as the loadiine method, which is one I personally use.

I must not have read about that one as a way of actually initially modding your console. I did via the browser exploit but I only know of loadiine as a way of installing mods.

I get that the eShop for these systems probably wasn't making enough money to justify keeping it alive, but the least they could do is put some of their classic titles on Switch. There's so many retro Nintendo games stuck on 3DS and Wii U. There's no good reason why they can't be available on Switch as well.

On a better note, Nintendo released a thing on their website that lets you look at your most played Wii U and 3DS games. But it only shows playtime between 2011 and 2019. Since I got my New 2DS for Christmas of 2019, my stats look like this:

stats.png
I played my 2DS more than anything in 2020, and played it a fair amount in 2021. I even started building a game collection, and spent dozens of hours in some titles. They could've at least shown data up until January 2022. But no, instead I get to appreciate the 2 minutes I spent playing fucking AR Games.

I mean if we are JUST arguing the preservationist standpoint.....what even is there on the wii u thats not accessible (albeit illegally) on the internet?

I mean if we are JUST arguing the preservationist standpoint.....what even is there on the wii u thats not accessible (albeit illegally) on the internet?
It's not about how much of it is obtainable illegally, it's about how Nintendo cracks down pirates so hard yet they do nothing to compete with them.

not everyone is morally okay with or wants to pursue piracy as their first option, as well

some people would prefer legal purchases even if illegal obtaining is an option, there's a reason mother 3 localization still gets traction. like, yeah, it's an option, but it shouldn't necessarily be the only option when it's an active downgrade from before where gb/gba games and other nes/snes/n64 games were available legally on modern systems and now just. aren't.

additionally it's entirely probable obscure eshop-original games didn't get uploaded to the internet at some point. stuff still falls through the cracks, after all.

Last edited:
not everyone is morally okay with or wants to pursue piracy as their first option, as well

some people would prefer legal purchases even if illegal obtaining is an option, there's a reason mother 3 localization still gets traction. like, yeah, it's an option, but it shouldn't necessarily be the only option when it's an active downgrade from before where gb/gba games and other nes/snes/n64 games were available legally on modern systems and now just. aren't.

additionally it's entirely probable obscure eshop-original games didn't get uploaded to the internet at some point. stuff still falls through the cracks, after all.

I get that people don't want to pirate. I rarely pirate anything these days (I used to do it a lot) but I'm purely talking about preservation here. Not the morals of how one acquires it.

I get that people don't want to pirate. I rarely pirate anything these days (I used to do it a lot) but I'm purely talking about preservation here. Not the morals of how one acquires it.
Honestly, that's fair. But I still really wish Nintendo would at least try to preserve their own games.

Honestly, that's fair. But I still really wish Nintendo would at least try to preserve their own games.
I mean, they do preserve their own games. Remember the Nintendo Gigaleak and how it uncovered the source code for games going back to the SNES, prototype and cut content from games, firmware for systems going back to the N64, documents for unreleased GameCube models, etc.

You also have the case of the arcade game Sky Skipper, which was poorly received at test markets in both Japan and the United States and never received a wide release in either country and Nintendo decided to convert the arcade cabinets to Popeye machines. One of the North American Sky Skipper cabinets avoided being converted to a Popeye one and was put into storage at NoA's headquarters and later had its ROM image copied and released as part of the Arcade Archives series. (And according to an interview, one of the ROM chips in the single surviving unmodified Sky Skipper machine was dead and yet Nintendo still has the original files for the game in the archives, so the machine was able to be repaired when it was borrowed by Factor 5 for use in their company's arcade as part of a deal the founder had with Nintendo)

I think the problem is people think tend to conflate 'preservation' with 'publicly available' when something doesn't have to be made available in order for it to be preserved. I know this a bit of a morbid example, but the six minute audio recording from the fatal bear attack on Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend is preserved in a bank vault without having been publicly released. (And yes I know 'recording of someone being attacked and killed by a bear' is not in the same league as 'video game' but it's the first example I could think of)

Might as well post my stats

my_3ds_memories.png

my_wiiu_memories.png

Not surprised at my top 2's since they're built around replayability, but Fates is only there because of the three storylines. I'm glad to see MP Trilogy cracked my top 3. Kind of confused about my top 3DS genres; I would have thought FE would count, otherwise those are literally the only two RPGs I remember playing (both not good), and I've definitely played more Zelda than Luigi's Mansion...

"Most Unforgettable Game" would be a toss-up between Awakening, New Leaf and 3D Land for 3DS and Pikmin 3 for Wii U, not counting remakes/ports.

Last edited:
1645151711325.png

Literally 460 hours of "WAAAAH!!!" and "EEEEYYY!!!"

1645151730815.png

Literally 2100 hours of "DON'T LET ME LAND ON ME WALLET! NOOOOO!!!!" and "I AIN'T DONE COUNTING ME MONEY! NOOOO!!!!"

Sure, Smash for Wii U is...quite the unforgettable experience.

I can't post my 3DS or Wii U stats because my parents threw away the former and gave away the latter

It was bound to happen someday. In a nutshell, I'd say it makes business sense but not regular sense.

That does remind me, my 3DS is almost 10 years old (Year of Luigi, came with M&LDT!) and it's starting to fade. If I bought a new one, what wouldn't transfer over if I signed in with the same account? You know what, I'll just make a thread in the Help Desk about this.

But yeah, noticed it when I went to redownload the Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. demo to grab some data for the full game. A real pain.

Your save is stored in the cartridge rather than the system unless you digitally downloaded it which in this case, yeah it stays with the system.

I think the problem is people think tend to conflate 'preservation' with 'publicly available' when something doesn't have to be made available in order for it to be preserved. I know this a bit of a morbid example, but the six minute audio recording from the fatal bear attack on Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend is preserved in a bank vault without having been publicly released. (And yes I know 'recording of someone being attacked and killed by a bear' is not in the same league as 'video game' but it's the first example I could think of)
I have much negative to say about Nintendo, but I'm of firm conviction that they're excellent when it comes to archival, especially when you compare the rest of the industry losing their compilers or source codes and whatnot, which is generally unheard of when it's Nintendo (worst I can think of is Donkey Kong Country shenanigans... which isn't a mistake from Nintendo). I think when people mean preservation, it means accessibility with legacy content, and that's what Nintendo is bad at doing.

I pirate stuff, but yeah, almost every video game I've pirated, I've already bought (Sims is a glaring exception though I'd spend money on it if the costs weren't so prohibitive AND it didn't require an EA account and another game launching client, AND that I do not trust EA as a publisher even though Maxis as a company I like a lot). I generally prefer buying over pirating, though what lies at the heart of it is convenience to be quite honest. There's a satisfaction owning the physical or even digital copy of the game, using your own money to acquire something, it's not really there when you download a game. Also, downloading stuff requires jumping through several hoops and always taking a risk with your computer and requires identifying scam sites (and you're bound to come across some weirdass obscure foreign file hosters that almost always seem to throttle your download speeds unless you subscribe to something you otherwise won't use), using an adblocker, and using an antivirus.

The thing is though, I don't want people to go through illegal means to get something they want, especially risking computer security and downloading potentially bad files or browsing shady websites. I wish Nintendo cared about the safety of their customers that they don't have to go through this just to enjoy Nintendo's products. Krita, a free content-full art program, I recall, explicitly cut to the chase about the real issue about artists doing piracy and other illegal means to be able to art, which was pretty refreshing to see validating acknowledgement about why some people do illegal things. Either way, correct, and I'm confident to say MOST people would buy rather than pirate.

Anyhow this cancellation of the service sometimes gets me worried. What if Steam shuts down one day? I don't see it happening in any foreseeable future since Steam makes enough money, but this situation should highlight the fragility of digital storefronts. People also seem too comfortable that physical copy is somehow more protected, but no... you still require a means to play them, which hardware failures exist (scratched CDs, failing disk drives, power failures, etc) and repair services for that hardware isn't always going to be available through official means. I still think digital files and a means to use them AND storing them in constant copies and backups, as long as the means to use them continue to be able to be compiled, maintained, ran in official PC OSes and infrastructure whatnot) will outlast physical copy. It just reminds me how fragile digital content can be despite the huge benefit of instant and easy duplication, but I guess that's another discussion.

Oh and I'd like to add about Internet uploading... there's no guarantee any given game will even run well on emulator either. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles remains pretty elusive to play for a while (the Switch port also stinks) despite all means of emulation technically existing. There's just a serious save problem early in the game that you can't progress without save states. I think it was fixed in subsequent updates, but there probably remains several GCN/Wii games that have serious issues. Mario games from Camelot also tend to have visual emulation issues.

It's on the Nintendo website, I think. As long as you can log into your account, you can access your stats.
I don't think I can do that either because my dad deleted my email account I had my Nintendo Network ID on. Even if somehow the Nintendo Network ID wasn't deleted, if I don't have the password I probably won't ever be able to access it again.

I don't think I can do that either because my dad deleted my email account I had my Nintendo Network ID on. Even if somehow the Nintendo Network ID wasn't deleted, if I don't have the password I probably won't ever be able to access it again.
Dude you need to ditch your parents.

Here's my stats:
3E44D345-7F1C-4626-A835-B3351AF02B00.jpeg

I hate how it doesn't keep any data for Extra Epic Yarn, The Top 100, or any of my DS games. I know I obtained the former two much later than other titles on my system, but it makes me feel like the list should be bigger.

Last edited:
Alright bumping this thread as there are only ten days left until the eShop closes. Right now I've been buying some themes, such as Sonic character and later Ace Attorney game themes. I have bought all the games I need as well.

I was really opposed to the 3DS and Wii U eShops closing at first, but now I strangely don't mind as much. It feels like the feeling of closure one can get from something that's been around for a long time.

Back