Unpopular opinions about video games in general.

on a second playthrough ill rewatch the cutscenes sure but if you get stuck on a section its just irritating and it especially must be painful for speedrunners too
the chad harry potter and the chamber of secrets havig the vast majority of its cutscenes skippable besides, like, 2 (and one only lasts like 3 seconds)

I like how Mario Kart 64 has an overly long drawn out unskippable trophy cutscene EVERY TIME you win Grand Prix, and that cutscene isn't even remotely interesting to begin with, the only time it has ever been interesting is if you get 4th.

on a second playthrough ill rewatch the cutscenes sure but if you get stuck on a section its just irritating and it especially must be painful for speedrunners too
the chad harry potter and the chamber of secrets havig the vast majority of its cutscenes skippable besides, like, 2 (and one only lasts like 3 seconds)
yeah i think this is my thoughts too. i may remember most of superstar saga's plot but that isn't going to stop me from enjoying the cutscenes a second time because it's still charming to go through (and i won't be speedrunning the game any time soon). but if i am stuck on a boss i think having a skip option would help and i understand other people have different preferences to me

Reactions: zel
I hate SMO's tutorial. DON'T CARE ABOUT THE STORY, I JUST WANNA PLAY THE GAME.

I'm not even thinking of buying The Last of Us part 2.

I like how Mario Kart 64 has an overly long drawn out unskippable trophy cutscene EVERY TIME you win Grand Prix, and that cutscene isn't even remotely interesting to begin with, the only time it has ever been interesting is if you get 4th.

The 4th place cutscene is still one of the most brilliantly written in Mario history 🧐. The decreasing in pitch music followed by the Bob Omb straight up assassinating the player still gets me.

Last edited:
The majority of video game music isn't all that notable.

I mean the main theme of very popular games, yeah, people know them, but I don't find most vgm impressive.

The majority of video game music isn't all that notable.

I mean the main theme of very popular games, yeah, people know them, but I don't find most vgm impressive.

It's probably a me thing but I feel like 90% of modern games have like atmospheric/orchestral music in the background I barely hear or don't care about at all for finding it forgettable.

smash ultimate is a particular offender since its bgm is drowned out. the volume mixing is pretty bad. at least they offer an option to adjust that, unlike a weird amount of other nintendo games.

Earthworm Jim 3D is an actually good game with lots of charm, and I'd say on the same level as its predecessors, EWJ and EWJ2. Not a masterpiece, mind you--it does have the occasional jank that was displayed even in highly regarded games of the same era, such as Mario 64, with the camera being a bitch to juggle around at times and boss battles being... useless? For the most part, however, I can only voice good things about this title: the playable character is very responsive (no delayed animations like in Banjo-Kazooie), platforming is extremely tight (to illustrate, you don't become briefly uncontrollable when you bonk into a wall, like a certain polygonal plumber does in his starring title) and there is a decent amount of exploration in a world filled with cow warriors that you have to decapitate, exploding leperchauns, baby Wild West sheriffs, kitchen aliens, possessed vacuum cleaners and many, many others. The writing is very funny too.

Yet is has mostly bad to mediocre reviews, scoring a 3,2/10 on GameSpot and 6/10 on Steam. Like, I like the first two EWJ games as much as the next guy but there's no need to act like a nostalgic wreck when the character evolves into a new dimension. It is indeed shorter and more linear than the similar classic 3D sanbox games, but that doesn't make it awful.

While I understand why none of three companies will release their games on their competitor's systems, I think all console-only games should also be made available on PC. If for nothing else but to guarantee that you won't be required to keep your old hardware if you wanna play a game some years down the line when the original system has long been discontinued. I get that the PS5 and Series X/S both have varying levels of backwards compatibility (PS5 having nearly all PS4 games and the Series X/S having all Xbone games, 26% of 360 games, and 4% of original Xbox games), but that isn't really a guarantee that future systems will also have backwards compatibility nor is a guarantee that, even if they have it, it will be multi-generational backwards compatibility.

Just to get this out of the way here, I am well aware that not every game will run perfectly on modern computers (I am referring to Windows PCs here, obviously) due to 32-bit vs 64-bit stuff, features that are no longer supported in modern versions of Windows (Hello SafeDisc and SecuROM DRM, you don't work on Windows 10 at all!), or just differences in how a game was programmed based on the hardware at the time VS how hardware actually evolved (See: 90s games that, by default, had a max support resolution of 1024x768 and an aspect ratio of 4:3 or why the original Crysis still struggles on modern PCs because it was programmed with the expectation that CPU power would increase with faster clock speeds not by adding more cores), but there can be workarounds to that stuff, you know? Lots of games have no-CD cracks available, there are often fan-made guides (or even tools) to properly set your fave game from 1999 or whenever to play well on your modern machine, and then you've got rereleases of lots of old games on things like GOG or Steam.

And honestly, I'd much rather deal with the above when it comes to wanting to play an older game on PC vs 'Lol you wanna play this game from 2004 on your modern console??? Hahahah go buy/dig out a PS2/Xbox/GameCube!!!'

I'd actually like minecraft if it were Lego instead. It's really just the blurriness that turns me away.

Last edited:
While I understand why none of three companies will release their games on their competitor's systems, I think all console-only games should also be made available on PC.
god i TOTALLY get that and also. i find pc ports a blessing because my only console is a switch lmao and it doesnt have everything but i do happen to have a pc. i couldnt find a better way to articulate this but yeah its just good to make them more available in general

pc games also have better mod support too

god imagine buying your retro nintendo games on pc like you would for the classic sonic titles, so much more people would have legal options to access them

pc games also have better mod support too

god imagine buying your retro nintendo games on pc like you would for the classic sonic titles, so much more people would have legal options to access them
tbh if you could by old nintendo games on pc from nintendo, it would fuckin awesome

It's nice but think about withholding access of legacy games and charging too much for them once you do release them, while proclaiming that piracy is bad m'kay.

It would be nice to acquire games on a legal storefront rather than dig up ROMs at sketchy sites (or just hope the sites you do trust don't go down and get inconvenienced by Nintendo or ISP trackers), but I kinda like the options emulation provides.

Don't know wheter that's unpopular or not, but I believe the second game of the Pac Man trilogy was better than the first one. And the third one, well, is kinda lackluster if compared to the previous two.

there's a pac-man trilogy? unless you're talking about pac-man world in which case I'm pretty sure popular opinion is that the second one is good and no-one talks about the rest.

My unpopular opinion is that SEGA's take on the universe of Puyo Puyo is the definitive version, based on what I have heard from others who preferred what Compile did to the series (outside gameplay). I don't know if this is unpopular, now that SEGA handled Puyo Puyo longer than Compile did. My reason for the preference is how Compile has a rather generic art style for their characters, and when SEGA redesigned the characters they stood out so much that you can tell it's from a Puyo Puyo game. It's the same reason I preferred Magical Drop's first game's artstyle compared to its sequels.

there's a pac-man trilogy? unless you're talking about pac-man world in which case I'm pretty sure popular opinion is that the second one is good and no-one talks about the rest.
It is indeed the Pac-Man World games, and if what you said about the first game not being talked about is correct, then maybe that's the issue with only being released on one platform (it was a Playstation exclusive) even though it's an anniversary game (remember: it was released in 2000, the 20th anniversary of the character). I do like the first game, and I thought that its incorporation of classic mechanics and music are nice even though they overuse the classic themes remix.

The thing I find it amusing in the third game is that not only did it references the first game in that one of the characters reappear there, but it introduces a villain that is really unusual in design. Then again, Pac-Man introduces characters that are rather out-there for the IP. Such is the life of a character who doesn't have much of an established cast but wishes that there is one.

Thank you for reading.

I was indeed talking about the Pac Man World trilogy. I had read many YouTube comments praising the original for its variety of bosses and its larger cast - but tbh the second game has a charm the first one does not have.

Heh, funny I came into this thread to give my own unpopular opinion about games with realistic graphics and look at the above post.

Anyways, I find most modern games with 'realistic graphics' a significant turn-off entirely because, for as good as modern hardware is and can make games look, it's still not good enough to avoid falling into the uncanny valley and more realistically detailed games fall HARD into that because it makes the little subtleties that games don't have that real life humans do much more noticeable, even in screenshots.

I don't mind realistically looking games existing but with how many games are doing this they're starting to all look same-ish, which is where I start having a problem lol

Speaking of realistic graphics, why do they always gotta be FPS or Horror.. Okay there's also sports but like.. where's the other genres

Back