In Which The Masses Answer Magolor04726's Questions About Smash

Yeah, the retro characters are cool. Though I feel like they could run out of interesting choices eventually.

i Love retro reps. this is gonna sound weird but a lot of it is because i feel weird playing as a character from a series im not really familiar with, even if i enjoy playing as them (like pit/dark pit iirc?), but retro reps are exempt from this! i have never played a game & watch but i sure as hell do main mr game and watch

I still want Stunt Race FX cars playable.

I love that the older characters are acknowledged, because they are usually not that popular, so to see them the spotlight is a real treat. In addition, if an older character acknowledges their actual origins, like Mario, then I also like that. Mainly because the Super Mario series hardly acknowledged that Mario debut from Donkey Kong (I felt that Super Mario Odyssey's case is a rare exception), as Mario's anniversaries never seem to celebrate his birth game (only Super Mario Bros.).

Thank you for reading.

Next:
Are there too many of certain series representatives?
Well, I think the series should top out at eight so you could squeeze all of them into a fight. I could do without Daisy, but other than that, I think they're good. Maybe toss Chrom and get someone else, but...

Fire Emblem for sure. I can get Mario and Pokemon having 10+ reps, but Fire Emblem (which is only about as big as Kirby, which has only three reps) has eight. That's just...insane. There isn't much variety among them either--I've even heard longtime FE fans complain about the fact that more than half the FE reps are player avatars, as well as the fact that there are three reps from a single game. I get that Smash Ultimate has a policy of no fighter cuts, but even Smash 4 had Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin (two of these were DLC as well). I really don't understand it. Next Smash game should cut at least half of them; Fire Emblem really doesn't warrant more than four reps.

And speaking of which, it could be argued that Mario and Pokemon are overrepresented. Yes, they're iconic to Nintendo, but do we really need...Piranha Plant? Or Jigglypuff, or Incineroar, or Pichu, or even Daisy or Rosalina. And honestly, to think that Toad is sorely lacking from the roster while these guys are smashing it up just fine. I mean, I can respect people who like playing as these characters--I find Rosalina quite interesting to play myself--but in a large-scale game crossover like this, are they really necessary? Outside of Fire Emblem, it would be these fighters that I would cut first.

one would say fire emblem and even as someone who likes the series i can agree with that. I don't hate fire emblem, but I do gotta say that it has much more presentation than franchises that deserve more presentation, like kirby, sonic and FRIGGIN FINAL FANTASY. I don't have problems with the fe characters, heck i was happy with byleth's inclusion, but if i made my own smash game i would definitely cut a few of them like corrin and roy, who didn't really impact the series in any way or aren't really fan favorites, unlike characters like lucina.

i feel like there are this many fe characters because sakurai (or whoever picks the fighters) wants people to experience fire emblem, yet i know a lot of people who never did. i mean tbf fire emblem is incredibly popular, especially in japan.

Last edited:
Much as I love the series... there is a lot of FE characters. Yeah.

BUT. Many people who says that have no idea how characters even work in FE. Every game has a new cast. The characters in Smash are the main characters of their own game, and not characters that come from one single game, and almost none coexist together (exception being Chrom Lucina and Robin).

I've probably said it before but the problem with FE representation in Smash imo is not at all the number of reps. The number is actually very low for FE (although of course we're not gonna try and make the number higher than the Mario reps obviously). What's wrong is the variety. Coming into smash, you'd think that the FE series only has sword-users, which is horribly wrong. As demonstrated by our favorite professor, Byleth, there's also Lances, Axes, and Bows, yet... it took us this long to get those in Smash. And Byleth is still primarily a sword-user. But even then, we should have gotten some unique sword users, like say, Sigurd, who has horse! And although Leif fights on foot, his fighting style is different (demonstrated by his crit animations) and can be made a moveset of. Or Lyn!

The reason why I want Ephraim in Smash is because he exclusively wields lances. He can be the guy to prove Smash fans wrong. That FE has more than anime sword bois. A lot more. Alternatively, Micaiah also exists, as a Light Magic user and staff wielder. It bothers me that no one is ever willing to look into FE before complaining, and it's even worse when they actually have merit to do so because of how bad the FE Smash representation is.

Oop. Looks like I got carried away. Anyway tho, although FE has a lot of characters and I'd be willing to cut some of them, although... Pokemon's got a number of characters close to FE, and about as many reps, so I'd say the number is still justified, and I don't want to hear the "FE is not relevant because I know nothing about it" excuse because times have changed and like it or not, FE is now one of the most important franchises to Nintendo at the moment. It's been alive for 30 years now for a reason. It's popular and is here to stay and you gotta accept that.

That said Kirby deserves more reps and I understand the frustration if my favorite series has more reps than yours.

Rant over. You can carry on with your lives now.

pokemon gets a ton of characters because its like one of the biggest media franchises in the world in general of course it does.. same for mario. fe is way more obscure in comparison so its a bit unbalanced

Still undeniable that it is gaining relevance. Sure, maybe it shouldn't have as many reps as pokemon, but I still stand by my point that there's not "too many fe characters". In the grand scheme of things, there's around 80 characters in the game, I just find it really bizarre to complain about a series getting too many when it's not even 10% of the total roster (no series has even reached that number so far).

I'd have far less of an issue with all the FE reps if a certain other RPG series by Intelligent Systems could at least get one. And no I mean specifically Paper Mario, not Mario in general.

I think lack of a reps from Zelda is much more of a problem than Fire Emblem having too many reps (though you could argue it's a bit of a balance problem). I know that Zelda isn't exactly a series with a stable cast, but I'd still like to see Tingle and Impa playable, both are recurring Zelda characters who were playable in Hyrule Warriors as well. And I think Zant or Ghirahim as playable fighters would be interesting additions. Hell, maybe even throw in Epona as a playable WTF fighter, they did Piranha Plant, why not have a WTF from the Zelda games.

Oh yeah, Zelda desperately needs some reps. The fact that its cast isn't stable is not an excuse as demonstrated by FE.

Talon & Ingo for Smash, who's with me.

I personally want Kass. Right @Kass?

Everyone already said this... but yeah, Fire Emblem. However, it doesn't really matter at this point as long as they don't add more. I think Byleth fixes the representation problems to an extent, so if you ignore the clones then the representation is fairly good. Also, Kid Icarus is very slightly over-represented, or at least it was in Smash 4.

I personally want Kass. Right @Kass?
Yes siree. Though I could also go for Midna, Tetra, or Skull Kid.

Humm… (I really use "..." too much.)
If you could customize, say, a Mii with any special abilities (Neutral, side, up, down), what would you customize them to have? (You can use the alternates from 4 and old variations if you like)
Neutral: Inhale (Kirby).
Side: Hammer Flip.
Up: Rolling PK Thunder.
Down: Tie between a counter attack (Mii Brawler variation) and the Dire Hydrant.

ig thats basically saying whats our favourite of each special move. anyway:

Neutral: Piranha Plant
Side: Banjo & Kazooie, but youre not invincible and you have unlimited uses (basically flare blitz but you dont take damage)
Up: R.O.B, and ig it also has a hurtbox on top of the fighter
Down: Mix between a random counter and Incineroar's side b

welp, i created a monster

Did the last question not interest enough people or are the usual contributors unaware there's a new question? I don't want to start a new question until the others are ready...

All right, what does Smash need more of as fighters: Robots or animals?
Robots, definitely robots.

Back