Luigi 64DD's attempts at art

Czario

Rightful ruler of the kingdom of Russia!
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
Updates - Newest to Oldest
Scribbles, Awards, Splatoon stuff, and more
Rosa
Mizu & Akai (MaddyTheTrashcan's OCs)
Chun-Li
Zero Suit Samus and Pikachu
Squid Sisters
Momohime, Lakituthequick, Marioshigi, and more
Koops & His Bros.
Marie and Plague Knight
Portrait of a Pirate Goomba (Art Contest entry)
Yoshi the Space Station Manager, Lefty Green Mario, and Plague Knight (Uncolored)
Luigi 64DD Christmas edition
Luigi 64DD 2nd edition

So I've been thinking of drawing my OC for a few weeks and last night I actually got started on it. I finished it today. Here it is in all it's glory:

EHFzTTY.png

I did it in four steps:
1. Draw it on paper and scan it
2. Digitally retrace it
3. Color it
4. Add shading
I used MS Paint of all things, which made it take a rather long time to color and shade. I used several artworks of N64 Luigi as reference and some of my sprites made by other users for choosing the right colors to use.
Af7mjUk.png
in1f1aH.png

So, what else am I going to draw? I was thinking of drawing other users from here, so I'll update this whenever I finish another drawing. I may also draw characters from games or really anything I feel like drawing. BTW I'm probably mainly gonna draw other users who I feel like drawing rather than taking requests.

Last edited:
That left arm looking tiny and all.

LeftyGreenMario said:
No, you're looking at it wrong. The left arm is viewed at an angle, making it look more thin. You can tell by the way the fingers are drawn that it's at an angle compared to the right arm. Most of the time I look at it, I see it right, but I was afraid it would be misinterpreted...

If that's your first attempt at art, I'd say it's good for a first try. And do you have Adobe Photoshop? That is what I use to make the shading for my art.

Koops said:
If that's your first attempt at art, I'd say it's good for a first try. And do you have Adobe Photoshop? That is what I use to make the shading for my art.
Well, it's my first try at digitally enhancing physical art. I've drawn on paper plenty of times before, but this is the first time I've done a digital drawing that was actually supposed to look good. If I do say so myself, I'd say it looks about as good as your avatar. :evilgrin: I don't have Adobe Photoshop. Perhaps I should get it if I'm gonna keep doing digital art.

Luigi 64DD said:
LeftyGreenMario said:
No, you're looking at it wrong. The left arm is viewed at an angle, making it look more thin. You can tell by the way the fingers are drawn that it's at an angle compared to the right arm. Most of the time I look at it, I see it right, but I was afraid it would be misinterpreted...

If that's the case, I recommend aligning the arm behind Luigi's torso. Maybe angling Luigi to the right would help as well. At this angle, it just looks like a shrunken arm, sorry, as Luigi appears (to me) to be facing forward. Maybe look at this image for reference:

LuigiMPDS.png

To give the illusion of Luigi's hand being far away, practice with foreshortening techniques. There has been some attempt, but the hand also follows foreshortening roles, and you should probably have it partially covered by Luigi's pelvis.

Oh, and don't forget the overall straps hands, and Luigi's forehead (which should have shadow casted by the brim of his hat), they follow light logic too. Make sure they are shaded too.

It was supposed to be that his left arm was tilted so the viewer sees the arm from the side, making it appear thinner than the right arm which is seen from the front. However, I guess I exaggerated how thin it would be realistically. I suppose I could edit it when I get on my computer. About the cap casting shade, I did put some of the darker skin color below his cap. Do you mean I should put more, LGM? Not sure what mean by "overall strap hands" though.

I forgot a comma. I mean the overall straps and the hands need shading too. Yeah, I see the shadow too, but if you have a Luigi figure, you should point a light similar to the light source in your drawing, and the shadow casted by Luigi's cap should extend more, like going on to his eyes, like in the render Alex95 showed you.

I actually did shade his hands, but it's kind of subtle. How I did shading was using the "Edit Colors" option to make a lighter and darker version of each color. For the hands, the light shade is pure white while the main color is off-white. Do you think it should it be more obvious? Because if you look closely at the right hand, you will see that it is shaded.

EDIT: Oh and thanks to everyone who complimented the art, namely Yoshi the SSM, Koops, and Mister Apple. :D

Yeah, I notice now. I think the shading can be more explicit though.

Okay, I got around to making the edits to my artwork. I added shading in some of the places LGM said, but I didn't re-shade the hands because it'd would've been a little hard (due to the fill-in tool not being able to color it all at once since it wasn't a solid color) and I thought it looked good enough anyway. Also, I didn't do the below-cap shading as low as the eyes, but I put it lower than it was before, around to the level of this artwork. I completely redid Luigi's left hand and made his left arm wider. I also filled in the white spots that Koops mentioned. Here is the finished picture:
nIqfwQ7.png

I'm hoping I addressed all that can be criticized in this artwork. If you do have any more criticisms, I probably won't edit it anymore because I'd rather move on to a new drawing and I think this one looks good. I also will add a link to this update in the OP shortly.
Next up: a drawing of a user who I've been friends with since before I joined the forum!

Left hand is much better. I won't criticize any more. It'll be pointless otherwise.

Maybe next time when you're making a Luigi drawing, use a reference picture and measure out his proportions. Figure out width versus height of Luigi's head. Block his head in with a simple circle. Also figure out how many Luigi heads tall Luigi is and note the relationships of the components of Luigi's face. Where does the top of his align with? Where does the bottom of the ear align with? Et cetera. Check out how the shadow works in Luigi renders. Where is the light hitting them? How is Luigi's face angled? If it's angled upward, his ears will be lower and if it's downward, his ears will appear higher on the head.

You'll get better with practice.

I used reference pictures, but I didn't try to measure out all the proportions like you said. I just used them to get the general shapes in my head and then draw them. Usually when I draw, I don't really do the thing where you draw the basic outline and then draw details. I suppose that would help to make it correctly proportioned, but I'm more of an amateur at art and I don't really feel like doing that sort of thing. As long as I can get it to look relatively flawless to the average person rather than to someone more experienced with art like yourself, I'm happy. I think I achieved that with this drawing. Nevertheless, I appreciate the advice. :drmario:

It's mainly Art 101 I'm talking about, but just remember you'll get better with practice. The more you draw, you'll probably get better. Just challenge yourself!

Okay so the drawing of the user I've been friends with since before I joined the forum is still coming up. However, it's taking longer than expected to finish it; hopefully I'll get that done soon. For now, though, have this Christmas-themed edit to my avatar's artwork!

EMIqIFb.png

It was originally just gonna be the Santa hat, but I got a little carried away. This will be added to Christmas rotating avatar that I'll have soon.

The white mark I'm seeing makes it look like you attempted to give your Luigi a bag, but didn't follow through.

Oh yeah, that's due to the fact that this was originally scanned from a paper. Not sure what I was erasing, but it wasn't a bag. I think that's there in the main version as well.

This is actually good! I just suggest you to put more color on the middle of the nose, the arms and the body, since it gives a...flattened impression (terrible explanation, yes). Otherwise, everything is good, keep it up!

I understand what you're referring to, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Do you know of any examples?

Sure! Just take a look to this image...

MLPJ_Artwork_-_Luigi_%28alt%29.png

Focus on the arms, the nose and the body. See how it slowly changes to a lighter tone (giving a 3D impression), this is for the arms, so try to avoid making it with just one tone of green. Now let's take a look to the nose, it's almost the same as with the arms, except for that light on the top-left corner, try using it because, without it, the nose looks a bit weirdo-lairdo (I created a word :P). Now for the body, see the angle of the...increment of tones, your character is not inclined, so you may want to change to angle of the increasing (or decreasing, for me it's the same thing, only backwards). And TA-DAAHH!! Your drawing is done. If you didn't understand something, let me know. Hope this helps!

I did an experiment with what you said, but... I'm not sure it turned out so well.
ioEgGa5.png
As you can see, I only changed Luigi's right arm, right leg, and a little bit of his left leg. So, is this at least going in the right direction? Tbh, I'm not sure this is really necessary besides the nose which does look kinda flat. I guess it might make it look better, but I'm not sure it's inherently better so much as a different and more detailed style. To kinda get what I mean, see this random fanart, which has little shading but still looks good. Then again, I could be totally wrong, but I still don't know if I wanna put in that much effort.

I’m impressed with your improvements really! Great job!

If you can make the shading a little smoother, it would be even better, but that’s how I see it, maybe it’s not as good as I’m saying, so it’s up to you. But this is great work nonetheless. Keep it up!

Back