Post Mario music you're listening to.

Ok I did not expect the combination of Lanky Kong + minor chord lmao. But no lyrics about the handstand and being a balloon?

Shroom Ridge's a great Mario Kart DS song (better than that Pinball/Stadium one imo) and it's why I want Shroom Ridge to return in the next Mario Kart just for this song. I hope they just don't botch the songs like Mario Party Superstars liked doing for too much of their songs.

You also race a car in Mario Kart DS Mission Mode. You can't do this in any other Mario Kart game.

Am I allowed to put something in here that technically isn't by Nintendo themselves but is made from a Mario theme? Specifically, a cover of that theme?

I'm pretty obsessed with this cover and I would love for other people to see it too.

I hope they just don't botch the songs like Mario Party Superstars liked doing for too much of their songs.
I feel like I should note that Mario Kart and Party have two completely different sets of people working on the music. Mario Party has people from outside Nintendo, usually from T's Music for the newer games, while Mario Kart games (with the exception of Super Circuit and the Arcade games) have music by the big name Nintendo composers, the sort of people you'd expect to see on a main series Mario, Zelda or Animal Crossing title (yes there is a large overlap between composers for these four series).

Taking the most recent game (8) as an example, here are some other games that each of the composers worked on:
Kenta Nagata (also worked on 64, Double Dash!!, 7): Animal Crossing (N64/GCN), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Shiho Fujii: Animal Crossing: City Folk, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Super Mario Odyssey
Atsuko Asahi: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Super Mario Maker 2
Ryo Nagamatsu (also worked on Wii): Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch),
Yasuaki Iwata: Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing: New Horizons

I noted some exceptions earlier. Which was the arcade games and Super Circuit, the former are games developed by NAMCO and have NAMCO composers on them. Super Circuit is a similar case, where it was developed by Intelligent Systems, and credits people from Intelligent systems for "sound", well that's two of the people (Kenichi Nishimaki & Masanobu Matsunaga), the other one (Minako Hamano), and the Sound Supervisor (Kenji Yamamoto), are better known for their work on the Metroid series.

tl;dr: unless the game where Shroom Ridge reappears isn't developed by Nintendo, you'll have a good chance that the music will be up to the series standards.

Also yes, I agree, Shroom Ridge is my favourite Mario Kart DS song. I like the disc scratch sounds that used here, and a couple other places in the soundtrack. Also I was playing Mario Party Superstars like, an hour ago, and my first thought upon starting Yoshi's Tropical Island was that I wasn't enjoying the music nearly as much as the original, so I will agree there as well. If I had to try and pinpoint it, I feel like it was moved down a key? Or something like that at least, it makes it feel a lot less upbeat. Also I feel the switch to more realistic sounding instruments removes some of the bounciness from original. They both combine to make it feel a lot less fun then the original, and I really like fun in my music.

I guess that technically counts as what I'm listening to right now: banger alert

I still don't trust Mario Kart 8 developers to deliver on faithful music or even better music. I disliked Mario Kart 8's renditions of the Double Dash circuits nor do I like quite as much what they did to Ribbon Road (where's the xylophones) or Toad's Turnpike, though Cheese Land, I liked that, same with Super Circuit circuit and Moo Moo Meadows and Royal Raceway.

Mario Party Superstars DID trot out better renditions. They added a chorus to one of Mario Party 4's ravine-crossing minigame, which really adds to the tension, so I'm not always disappointed with the new soundtrack.

I like Mario Party 5's "style" and instrumentation that sets it apart from the Mario Parties. Speaking of boards, I think I like the space one the most out of the board music?

But you can also recognize Mario Party 4's style too, which also sets it apart. This one is catchy though also brings back memories of giant idiots slipping on bananas and that stupid cabana getting destroyed.

People adding lyrics to this song!

Now they need a trained opera singer!! Somehow!!!

This rendition of Super Mario 3D World has to be the rarest theme, because it's only played in the trailer and I don't think the game has it, and it sounds very nice after listening to the Overworld variant of the theme. Though Super Mario Odyssey played a unique theme in the trailer, at least that rendition was assigned to the credits, so it's not totally removed.

Shroom Ridge's a great Mario Kart DS song (better than that Pinball/Stadium one imo) and it's why I want Shroom Ridge to return in the next Mario Kart just for this song. I hope they just don't botch the songs like Mario Party Superstars liked doing for too much of their songs.

You also race a car in Mario Kart DS Mission Mode. You can't do this in any other Mario Kart game.
Seems like this course returns in the first pack of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Pass. What do you make of that?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
This was playing in my car today. I wish it was longer. 😭 DDR Mario Mix has such an underrated line up of music.

This one is based on freaking Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka out of all things

Seems like this course returns in the first pack of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Pass. What do you make of that?

Thank you for reading.
I mean they could botch it, so I have low expectations

I actually like this song quite a bit.

Reactions: JC.

Hell yeah they didn't just reuse the Tour arrangement
N64 Choco Mountain's pretty good too but I think this is my favourite of wave 1.

Really hope Vancouver Velocity and Sydney Sprint get the same treatment.

this is THE best Mario Staff Credits theme, I don't take any other answers

I agree with this. It sounds very different from many credits themes from other Mario games, and still sounded very good. As a bonus, it's even got some humour injected into it with the Wario and Waluigi rapping part.

Thank you for reading.

This tune is probably my favorite in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Last edited:

FINALLY A FAITHFUL FUCKING REARRANGEMENT!!111!!1

The shanty-like melody ominously dissolves into hard rock, in a way reminiscing of the original. Most rearrangements I've heard either incorporate the guitar very suddenly and jarringly, or take too many liberties in the instrumentation like the Smash Ultimate remix.

Back