Mario Kart Tour

God forbid they bring back Toadsworth and it's in this game of all things

God why does Mario Kart Tour have to be so shitty and a game I refuse to support, I could be playing as Funky and Dixie right now

Am I the only one who think it's ridiculously funny they just had to shoehorn Noshi in that thumbnail?

(Can we get a Diamond City tour next? :0)

According to the history (MK Arcade, Super Sluggers}, a Wario-themed event and course might not ensure any big new entry, so I don't give high hope.

Well, I can endure Wario-Man costume which is just a little salt to the current situation. It'd be a really huge revolution for NIntendo to add Syrup/Mona/Ashley together.

funky kart returns......probably not

I'm afraid that Mario Kart Tour will be the "Mario Kart Ultimate".

Now that all of the MKW roster (besides Miis) are now in MK Tour, thanks to the return of Funky. I bet that Honey Queen (evidenced from her emblem in a badge) and Wiggler will return to complete the MK7 roster, as well as Paratroopa and Petey to complete the Double Dash roster.

And surprise us with ROB, to complete the MKDS gang.

Am I the only one who think it's ridiculously funny they just had to shoehorn Noshi in that thumbnail?

Shoehorn
MKT_Jungle_Tour.png

Y'all shouting 'n' crappin' on the game because of the two in the foreground, but you know who is the real star

MKT_317CB.png

Apart from being a thing of beauty, this badge is the second artwork of Noshi we ever got, the first one was in the logo of the original Dino Dino Jungle, like 17 years ago:
DinoDinoJungleLogo-MKDD.png

Well, if anything, Noshi was luckier than another species introduced in Mario Kart that only had a black and white drawing 3 years after their introduction:
Bouncing_Note_stamp_MK8.png

I didn't realise that Funky Kong always shows his teeth, unlike Donkey Kong who only shows his teeth at certain times (although I love his expressions with teeth shown).

Thank you for reading.

Fucks me up how they waited until this crappy mobile game to add Dixie Kong.

How much you wanna bet she won't make it to Mario Kart 9?

No need to bet--she won't make it in. They're only adding these fantastic characters because they constantly need to push something for revenue, less so because they're fan favourites.

Funky Kong became especially demanded because of his popularity in Mario Kart Wii, but back then he was only added because they were running out of time to actually model a new character, so they got a ready-made model from Barrel Blast. Nintendo is often not very eager to experiment with new additions otherwise.

So don't expect to see Dixie and Funky in further Mario spin-offs. They take more effort to make than simply slapping a metal texture on Peach. At least at this point it's guaranteed that Mario Kart Tour will be joined by the likes of Wiggler, Petey and Honey Queen. Maybe even K. Rool. It's bittersweet.

Last edited:
To add salt to injury, Funky Kong was added in Mario Kart Wii because they were running out of time to actually model a new character, so they got a ready-made model from Barrel Blast.

Uh I hate to be that guy, but I don't think they reused his model from Barrel Blast

DKJungleSunset_DKBB.png

FunkyKongSelectMKW.png

I mean it is possible to decimate a model but I need to take a look at the textures and UVs themselves before I can say they're recycled.

They baked a high poly Funky Kong model onto DK's model. How about that, eh?

What I can say about MKW Funky Kong is that for him they resused DK's trick animations. A lot of characters in that game have shared trick animations, mind you, the most funny being perhaps Yoshi and Birdo since a lot of Birdo poses make little sense until you see the corresponding Yoshi poses with the tongue out.

In this sense, Mario Kart Tour also has the distinction of having given birdo her own unique trick animations not shared with Yoshi lol

I'm afraid that Mario Kart Tour will be the "Mario Kart Ultimate".
Now that all of the MKW roster (besides Miis) are now in MK Tour, thanks to the return of Funky. I bet that Honey Queen (evidenced from her emblem in a badge) and Wiggler will return to complete the MK7 roster, as well as Paratroopa and Petey to complete the Double Dash roster.
And surprise us with ROB, to complete the MKDS gang.
At this point it's really hard to compare mobile apps to traditional console titles. If anything, what matters would be how many DLCs MK9 is willing to do. MK8/MK8DX loses simply because it didn't have long period of DLC plans.

I guess we won't have costumes return in MK9 (depends on whether they can be recycled or not, and whether this would ruin the Tour sales), hope that they can focus on more new characters than skins or clones. I don't think they must have everyone return (the same obsession from some Smash fans who want to stick to Everyone-is-here slogan), but hope that MK9 not only has a bigger roster than MK8, but also have a better quality of roster and new additions.

It's weird, I feel like mobile games would do better in weird crossover or collaboration like how MK8 DLCs did. Maybe in a further future it's possible to have Zelda, Animal Crossing, ARMS and FE3H Tour, while Mario lands in FEH.

Last edited:
Wow, the Dixie and Funky fans are gonna be pissed knowing they are stuck in a freaking mobile game. Maybe they will be in Mario kart 9?

Smash did the everything is here purely to please fans, considering you'd have to work with copyright holders and update over 50 characters models along with redesigning stages, updating move sets and animation, it was a labor of love for fans of Smash.
Mario Kart Tour is only doing this to stay alive, otherwise, they could have just added them to 8 DX, Fire Emblem Heroes has the most characters in Fire Emblem history, they look out for fan favorites to get the most bucks, despite the cynical tone, I like these games, but listen to my pal T.O.M when it comes to criticism

Honestly, my ideal for these mobile games is a combination of Mario Run, ARMS/Splatoon and FEH Grand Hero Battles, you pay a low price to get the whole game, then you get some characters gradually with updates, with some you have to test your skills and beat them to get them.

Dragalia is probably Nintendo's best gatcha and it has a different dev team from FEH, Pocket Camp and Tour, make of that as you will

Mario Kart Tour is only doing this to stay alive, otherwise, they could have just added them to 8 DX
I mean, it's not like other Mario console titles don't have to raise their sales. So same inclusion can benefit them as well.

I wouldn't agree "big is good". I see MK9 sure needs to have a bigger roster than MK8DX, I would think "quality" is what newcomers in Mario spinoffs often lack in past years. Tour hasn't been giving much fanservice in terms of new characters, so hope that we will see more things as big as Dixie in the following journey.

bold of us to assume mario kart tour staying alive is a good thing

It's funny how every time they announce good characters in this game it just makes me dislike it even more. I'll just hold out hope that the next console Mario Kart will have a super awesome roster with all of the characters Tour brought back/introduced. I don't even really care about the variants (though they'd be cool), I just want to play as Birdo, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Pauline, etc. in a game that actually lets you play its characters without extreme luck or exorbitant amounts of money. Hey, since they already have the models in Tour, they can just upscale them for a new game and it wouldn't be much effort (hopefully).

Hey, since they already have the models in Tour, they can just upscale them for a new game and it wouldn't be much effort (hopefully).
I mean people have been upscaling Tour assets for Mario Kart 8/Deluxe. They transition smoothly too; their facial expressions correspond nicely, and even their occlusion texture maps work for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and are at a resolution that works too. Heck, Tour even provides UI stuff that fits the Kart 8 UI decently.

5eb0fc4438171.jpg

These mods are made for Mario Kart 8 but it's ridiculously easy porting those mods to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe through use of Switch Toolbox.

The only thing that the MK8/D modders needs to work on is port the non-MK8D characters and its animations.

I've seen MK7 mods which added Waluigi and R.O.B., along with their own unique animations.

Baby Luigi was ported to Mario Kart 7 as well with his own unique animations :>

Though the thing is with MK7 is I think you can't reuse bones so modders are forced to make new bones and animations.

Back