Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

sunshine sucks and thousand year door is trash

I agree with half of this

Haven't played sunshine yet so I can't judge that one

My take on Sunshine is that it's a fun game that got a lot of things right - the worldbuilding is fantastic, none of the other main series games have ever come as close to having a world that actually feels real and connected, and FLUDD is a neat gimmick with fun controls. Unfortunately it falls flat with some very very bad design choices that make me question if the designers even played certain parts of the game.

From what I've played of Sunshine I like so far and getting Shines is fun instead of a chore, but some of the design choices are pretty bad like how you have to auto-shoot liquid in order to damage the goop Piranha Plants.

As for Thousand Year Door, out of the two Paper Mario games I haven't played, Thousand Year Door and Color Splash, is it weird to say I'm kind of more interested in Color Splash than Thousand Year Door, not just because I've seen a let's play of TTYD, but because Thousand Year Door is literally that overrated?

my overall opinion of sunshine is that it's good at everything, except for what it actually needs to be good at.

ok so what i actually did intend to say here before writing that giant ramble is
My take on Sunshine is that it's a fun game that got a lot of things right - the worldbuilding is fantastic, none of the other main series games have ever come as close to having a world that actually feels real and connected, and FLUDD is a neat gimmick with fun controls. Unfortunately it falls flat with some very very bad design choices that make me question if the designers even played certain parts of the game.
yeah thats baiscally exactly how i feel. sunshine has such amazing worldbuilding that really is the best in the series but then it proceeds to have a lot of real stinky shines, and a structure that forces you to go through a lot of said stinky shines in order to beat the game at all... like you just cant skip the goopy inferno or red coins on the water or secret of the dirty lake or king boo down below. Nope. you just sit there and Suffer
again i still like the game overall, and i still get excited at seeing sunshine content in official media, but yeah its completely in spite of the structure and a lot of the missions

I will always complain about how they totally fucking nerfed the Zap Tap badge in Thousand Year Door and whoever was in charge of the SFX in that game should be ashamed of themselves.

I will keep repeating myself till I die ttyd's biggest mistake was getting rid of the Spin Dash

Unpopular opinion time!

I don't like Block Fort at all. Maybe it's fun to mess around with friends, but to actually play on when you need to eliminate 4+ players? No. I certainly didn't have fun with it in Mario Kart DS, one of my least favorite stages in that game. It's a pain in the ass to navigate, where accessing higher elevations (a ridiculously advantaged place to begin with, has all of the item boxes you need while the lower elevations are Green Shell bounce hell) requires you drive through the tight corridors, funneling into stairs in the corners of the map. Three elevations is a bit of a migraine to scale and makes it difficult to track people down. The size is also way too big; it would have been sizable even without the extra elevation. And forget about using Stars and Mushrooms to get people, you're going to fly off the "fort" and there goes your chance of getting the guy on the top floor.

Block Plaza is a far superior stage. The second elevation is much better connected, and it gets rid of the third elevation completely, which is fine in my book. It's also far more visually interesting, with differently layouts and character statues, with the last minute having the statues sinking to reveal pits that can further mess you up.

Skyscraper is the best Mario Kart 64 map. Double Deck is also far too large while Big Donut was annoying in Mario Kart 7.

I like him in the sports and party stuff that make a point to show case how much his life is suffering.

Other than that, I'm Wario all the way.

Luigi fans are pretentious, insufferable, and cannot take a joke.
This is something I thought of sometimes, especially in regards to the reaction to the opinion that Mario is better than Luigi. On Twitter at least, there is a tendency to belittle those who thinks that Mario is better than Luigi.

Thank you for reading.

And on reddit.
Say anything negative about Luigi, even as a joke, and watch the ravenous mob devour you.

Luigi is the worse version of Baby Luigi so they're just jealous.

Nah Baby Luigi is just as good as the rest of the Protectors.

Back