Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Linus van Pelt

Shadow Prince
I've been playing through Sunshine in 3D All-Stars and I think it's pretty good in terms of platforming, I miss the long jump and backwards somersault though. It makes the FLUDDless levels a lot harder when your only option to cross a large gap is to dive (and risk bonking your head on a platform instead or landing but sliding off the edge).
To be fair sometimes the camera is way worse in 64 than Sunshine

Redshift

Eats Lunch at 4:00 pm
Wiki Patroller
Okay here it goes.

I really like Yoshi's New Island. Like a lot. I came into the game having low expectations and how everyone has perceived the game as mediocre, but I actually found myself wanting to play through more, enjoying it a lot myself. I'm in the process of 100%ing it, and I've done it for the first two worlds, including their special levels. I like how the game is generally on the easy side, but it also mixes up with the challenge to find all collectibles and especially 100%ing the special levels, which are designed to be short and sweet while also challenging (since they have no checkpoints to speak of) which I prefer over the overly long and drawn out special levels (hello Yoshi Tower enemy spam from DS hello the ridiculously long and convoluted endless world of yoshis from gba). One of the things I prefer the most was the collect-a-thon system: in the original and DS, you had to get everything in one go and I mean everything (stars, red coins, flowers) and if you missed one, then you're scull-fucked and you have to do the level over again. New Island, however, is more merciful and allows you to either focus on red coins, stars, or flowers and revisiting the level later to get the other ones you didn't get and you also have the option to get everything in one go too.

It is true that the game doesn't innovate much from the original but the quality of life improvements (such as the option for pausing to exit a level and the improved aforementioned collect-a-thon system), as well as an easier time collecting red eggs as opposed to sitting there attempting to bounce eggs off walls multiple times in an attempt to collect them) is something I welcome. I also found those 1-UP minigames in both the original and ds a huge waste of time since the game gift wraps you lives every second, so I also prefer the egg medals over them. One thing I do miss from the original are the items, though, and if it was included, it would be better. The original also feels more fluid, quicker, and more responsive to play too, but it's a minor thing.

The soundtrack is hit and miss, though and easily the worst aspect of the game because it's very polarized but that's easily fixable by modding with a lot of stinkers. While character graphics leave a lot to be desired, the environment design is actually very nice, and I like the backgrounds. Like this level for example looks like it took inspiration from traditional Chinese art and I'm a fan of it.

So yeah, this is a type of title where I actually don't mind the by-the-numbers lack of innovation, because I'm busy having too much fun to care. I also guess it was originally released in a time of platformer fatigue where we got a whole slew of them, but playing this in 2020-2021 when I originally had a general lack of interest in the games (collect-a-thon being my biggest annoyance with the original), I can safely say my opinion has changed for the better for the Yoshi's Island series.

Koopa con Carne

Cockroach Koopa
While I think the original is better, I agree with you that New Island is not a bad game.

Have you played Woolly World? That one doesn't force you to collect everything in one go either.

Redshift

Eats Lunch at 4:00 pm
Wiki Patroller
Yeah as far as platformers on the 3DS go, it's not a bad choice at all. I'd really rather play this over New Super Mario Bros. 2 honestly, which compared to Yoshi's Island, felt even more dull and uninspirational because we already recently got Wii and U was coming up very shortly. Probably isn't good as Kirby: Planet Robobot which is probably the 3DS's best first-party platformer (the rest of the first-party 3DS platforming entries are ports like Donkey Kong Country, Wooly World, and Captain Toad) but I have zero regrets playing this game right now.

I haven't played Woolly World because Yoshi himself still somewhat bothers me, Baby Mario was in New Island to redeem that (though they really need to give him a proper voice like Touch & Go did) and resucing Baby Luigi was a pretty strong motivation to keep me going. That's kinda why I want another Yoshi's Island game rather than another solo Yoshi game, go back to its unique time-based mechanic and maybe make Baby Mario be more than just a stupid prop that acts like a kitchen timer, and also go back to the island setting. Kinda weird the games bring Baby Bowser there but neglect the other babies. I'd like to see Yoshi and Baby Mario/Baby Luigi actually interact with each other in some capacity. I remember DS had brief cutscenes but they were just characters sitting around just talking. Baby Mario saying "Thank you" to Yoshi in Touch & Go when Yoshi catches him was the most interaction we ever actually got out of those two.

I want to make Baby Mario likable rather than annoying. People kept him around because he was annoying if he didn't. People should keep him because they want to, not because they're forced to, and honestly if Baby Mario acted more of a character and less like an object, saving him would feel more like a player's part rather than the game forcing you to.

Renjamin

Yellow Gooigi paisano
They NEED to be called Mario Mario and Luigi Mario, otherwise it makes Mario a massive egotist and the last thing we need is more ammo for the Mario is a bad brother argument

ENA

These are the utmost grand of days!
While I think the original is better, I agree with you that New Island is not a bad game.

Have you played Woolly World? That one doesn't force you to collect everything in one go either.
omg I spent hours on that game. 200+ to be exact. one of my favorites. i have it 100% and have used all three save files for different custom yoshi costume slots. very proud of my Mr. L and shadow the hedgehog yoshis

the only game to come even close of that playtime is tomodachi life or maybe dream team.

Waluigi Time

VOTE SUPER ARROW
Wiki Patroller
They NEED to be called Mario Mario and Luigi Mario, otherwise it makes Mario a massive egotist and the last thing we need is more ammo for the Mario is a bad brother argument
Mario already is his last name, his first name is Super

Mario Party X

🎊Party over here, f🎆ck you over there!!🎊
Uh, this is still an ongoing problem right now.

Here is their house.

And inside the house, they're arguing over changing the nameplate

Last edited:

Larry Koopaling

Cruel, composed and bland
I do like New Super Mario Bros. 2. It is a strangely satisfying game, with all the coin thing going around, it's pretty serviceable as far as a New Super Mario Bros. game go, and it can be funny even for a novice. Actually, I like the whole New Super Mario Bros. series: they're good games, with a catchy soundtrack, well designed and well rounded stages, and a great lighthearted approach to the whole Super Mario concept. Ironically, my least favourite game of the series is the first one, which is actually the most loved one by fans. I would have loved it had it looked as a slighty tweaked beta version (I mean, look at the awesome night time city background below - I have a soft spot for night time stages, don't know why), but the final product looks a bit... empty, random and dull, at least if compared to the later entries of the series. Still a good game tho.

BlueShelledKoopaTroopa

The Procrastinator
When just casually playing the game, I prefer Mario Sunshine. But when 100 percenting the game, I prefer Mario 64.

I liked NSMB on the DS and Wii, but the Wii U and 3DS ones felt unnecessary, although they both are fine games.

Fordsy

A ♥Bill Cipher♥ fan
I don't like mario sunshine because i don't like my mario characters talking like real people.
Its ok when mario says things like 'Mama mia' or ' WOOHOO i got it' or when Peach says things like 'I'm the winner' or something but that's different than the way they talk in sunshine.

Larry Koopaling

I don't like mario sunshine because i don't like my mario characters talking like real people.
Its ok when mario says things like 'Mama mia' or ' WOOHOO i got it' or when Peach says things like 'I'm the winner' or something but that's different than the way they talk in sunshine.
I get your complain. I mean, Bowser went from *angry roaring sound* to a full voice acting in the span of one game. I believe games like Odyssey nailed perfectly how a character is supposed to talk by giving him both funny noises and fully - yet only transcribed - speeches.

Fordsy

A ♥Bill Cipher♥ fan
I believe games like Odyssey nailed perfectly how a character is supposed to talk by giving him both funny noises and fully - yet only transcribed - speeches.
That's nice, i don't like Odyssey either because i don't like goofy things like Bowser in a wedding suit or Mario in a wedding suit or the other suits he wears.

Larry Koopaling

That's nice, i don't like Odyssey either because i don't like goofy things like Bowser in a wedding suit or Mario in a wedding suit or the other suits he wears.
Well I don't exactly like Odyssey either for a few reasons, but I admit having Bowser in a wedding suit was an unnecessary yet goofy touch!

On that regard, talking about unpopular opinions, I'm not fond of the huge amount of Moons in Odyssey. It adds a lot of replay value to the stages, and I appreciate that, but some of them feel just very random and are way too easy to get.

Waluigi Time

VOTE SUPER ARROW
Wiki Patroller
I can understand not liking the goofy cutscenes but there's just so much more to the game than that. In terms of gameplay, FLUDD provides a lot more interesting and fun movement than Mario's moveset in 64 which is pretty basic honestly. (I know there's a lot of interesting glitchy movement you can do in 64, but I never really got into that) I also feel like the missions in Sunshine are generally more creative and interesting than 64's. Finally, it feels like an actual living, breathing interconnected world, which I'd argue is something that none of the 3D platformers ever managed to recapture, even Odyssey - the individual worlds are very well made but they don't feel all that connected. So that's why I think Sunshine is much better than 64.

Mariomaniacs

Helllooooo Dr.!
Ah yes, as early as SMB1, Bowser turns the Toads into bricks, Mario smashes the bricks unaware of what (or who) they truly are. A morbid dark fantasy indeed.

Waluigi Time

VOTE SUPER ARROW
Wiki Patroller
Ah yes, as early as SMB1, Bowser turns the Toads into bricks, Mario smashes the bricks unaware of what (or who) they truly are. A morbid dark fantasy indeed.
actually it's canon that only the blocks that have items in them were toads

Fordsy

A ♥Bill Cipher♥ fan
How did you ever get into Mario? Honestly? Mario is by it's very nature goofy.
When i was 6 or so and i've never....in my whole life seen something so silly as him in different suits....like that....its different with....like....the penguin suit or tanooki suit or things like that but...
And Bowser too, i like my Bowser regular.