Rest in Peace, Nintendo 3DS.

THE END

I am infinite, I am nothing
Officially as of today, September 17, 2020, the Nintendo 3DS has been discontinued. A console that was the childhood of thousands of kids who grew up playing those games, and Nintendo's best handheld,
has come to an end.
Rest in Peace Nintendo 3DS, February 26, 2011-September 17, 2020. You will be missed.
All of these where great games who have to thank the 3DS for being their home console. If I missed any, point them out below.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (2011)
Super Mario 3D Land (2011)
Mario Kart 7 (2011)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2011)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2012)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star (2012)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
Pokémon X & Y (2013)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (2013)
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (2013)
Yoshi's New Island (2014)
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (2014)
Kirby Triple Deluxe (2014)
Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS (2014)
Kirby Fighters Deluxe (2015)
Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World (2016)
Metroid Prime: Fedretation Force (2016)
Super Mario Maker (2016)
Pokémon Sun and Moon (2017)
Metroid: Samus Returns (2017)
WarioWare Gold (2018)

Here's a video to remember.

Goodbye, Nintendo 3DS. You will forever be missed.

All of these where great games who have to thank the 3DS for being their home console.
Paper Mario: Sticker Star (2012)
tenor.gif

Goodbye, 3DS. You will be missed. I hope Nintendo can continue to thrive without you.

Here's some more good games for it:
Mario Party: Island Tour(2013)
Mario Party: Star Rush(2016)
Kirby: Planet Robobot(2016)
Hey! Pikmin(2017)
Kirby's extra Epic Yarn(2019)
Yo-Kai Watch(2015)(never got a single chance to play the sequels, but the first one has a place in my heart)
(this is just a guilty pleasure for me)Mario Party: The Top 100(2017)

Last edited:
The 3DS is the source of some of my fondest gaming memories, and I'm so glad it stayed alive just long enough to motivate me to get a job and buy a new one. My life probably just wouldn't be the same without it, and I still play its games to this day. Rest in peace; may your legacy live on.

Some games you missed:

Kirby: Planet Robobot (2016) - Building on the solid foundation of Kirby: Triple Deluxe, apparently putting the puffball in a mech suit was the recipe for one of Kirby's greatest adventures ever. Who woulda thunk? Boasting brilliant level design, a unique atmosphere, and some of the most tragic hidden lore in the series, I find it hard to state even one thing I don't like about this game. (Oh wait--the True Arena. Although interestingly enough this game still manages to make you enjoy fighting half-hour bosses with OHKO attacks...)

BoxBoy (2015), BoxBoxBoy (2016), Bye-Bye BoxBoy (2017) - A little series of downloadable puzzle platformers developed by HAL when they're not making Kirby, the BoxBoy series is actually pretty brilliant and proves that HAL isn't just for puffballs. Some of the best eShop gems out there, and well worth a download.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (2015) - While it perhaps wasn't as wacky or original as its predecessor, Paper Jam still proves to be a brilliant crossover with its three-person combat and creative use of Paper Mario's papery qualities. A worthy successor to a series of fun and unique RPGs.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (2017), Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (2018) - We all know what happened to AlphaDream, but it's as if after Paper Jam they saw their demise coming, and decided to remake two of the series' greatest games for 3DS. The games themselves are as fun as ever, and the added side-stories proved to have some of the franchise's most genuinely engaging plots and characters. Although we all wish they could have given Partners in Time this treatment as well, it's clear that these remakes had a lot of heart put into them, and were a beautiful way to send off the series.

Kirby: Battle Royale (2017) - It may not the best of Kirby's spinoff ventures, but this multiplayer-oriented party game puts several of Kirby's most popular abilities in full-working 3D. The dialogue-heavy story mode is a breath of fresh air for the series as well, giving us a more in-depth look at characters like Dedede and Meta Knight in addition to giving everyone's favorite Waddle Dee his most prominent role to date.

Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (2019) - Nintendo's final sendoff to the 3DS, being the only first-party 3DS game released in 2019, is a well-crafted port of one of Kirby's most unique adventures to date. Created by the brilliant minds behind Yoshi's Woolly World and Yoshi's Crafted World, Kirby's Epic Yarn has a charm all its own, and this is a fine way to experience it--even if it isn't quite the same without constantly catching Prince Fluff with your yarn whip.

Don't think for a second that you'll be leaving BIS+BJJ out!

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Junior's Journey. (2019)

Also, I wrote this to honor our dear departed friend.

I didn't really want this to happen, but I guess it's time for me to say goodbye to my friend (the 3ds)

3DS has possibly my favorite library of games on a Nintendo system so far, even when not including the backwards compatibility with the DS (if you do include it, that library is massive). It came out when I was having a really hard time with life, and I abused the heck out of my Circle Pad, but I don't think I'll ever stop playing it. Even now, I'm coming back to it for an Icaruspedia project.

Kid Icarus: Uprising, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, Project X Zone 2, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Metroid: Samus Returns, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King in that order are all the best games on the system for me.

Thanks for being a good system.

Press X to pay respects 😔
The end of an era, gentlemen. Rest in peace.

Wow, I have so many nostalgic memories with that thing. Dark Moon, Face Raiders, Sm4sh 3DS, I'm gonna miss this thing.

Man I got thoughts about the 3DS, but I don't really feel like posting them now, so let's just say I overall did enjoy the 3DS as a system, although I feel it was far from perfect when it originally came out, but the New 3DS easily alleviated most of those issues and ( a modded one) is probably my fave handheld of all time.

I wanted one back when it first came out but my interest in the thing diminished over time as I focused more on consoles than handhelds.

What will they come out with next for a hand-held system?

Their next handheld system is the Switch.

Like I'm not gonna say that there's 0% chance they'll ever split their console/handheld development stuff again because, well, this is Nintendo and it's impossible to predict what they'll do, but I think it's fairly unlikely we'll see a 100% handheld separate from their console from them again for the foreseeable future.

Maybe they'll finally perfect smellovision for their next console.

I hope my 3DSXL Mario & Luigi Edition continues to work for my lifetime. It's very worn at this point but is still completely functional.

Back