Smash Ultimate tips

Well, practice is your best friend, that's the meat of it. But try to develop a feel for your character's movesets. First, turn off tap jump. U-tilt (the strong up attack while ground, not your usmash) and u-air tend to useful move and it took me years to use u-tilt properly with tap jump on. You CAN technically use a c-stick or another kind of stick to augment u-air and they also can help you perform smash attacks if the control stick is kinda finicky. But I think you should also get a feel for how to perform smash attacks reliably without relying on c-stick, it'll help with you're forced with other control schemes or if your c-stick somehow gets broken. But c-stick also helps if the analog is broken or drifting.

Learn to dodge. You didn't mention this but roll dodging is very important. It helps you space from your enemies or you can roll behind them to start punishing their moves. You can also dodge projectiles that way.

Learn to short-hop. You can tap the control stick, but with tap jump off, you have to apply less pressure to the button to perform this. It takes practice too to get a feel for it. But with short hops, you can easily use your aerials as an extra option against a grounded opponent.

You can grab while shielding but there's also a grabbing shortcut key, such as a shoulder button on the Switch or the Z button on the GCN controller. Both kinds of grabs are useful, such as grabbing after you shield an attack.

Some characters have ways to extend coming back to the stage. Mario can wall jump, Toon Link can bomb himself to get another up special, Samus can tether to a ledge with a grab, Fox has side special, Marth has side special, Greninja can wall jump and wall cling, Diddy has side special, Wario has his bike and his waft. Usually u special is your recovery move, but some characters like Fox and Luigi rely more on their side specials to recover.

you should learn how to use aerials better. they're incredibly useful if you wanna edgeguard, and they can also come out as fast attacks. plus some of them like mario's forward air or k rool's down air spike, so you should get better at using them offstage.

if an opponent is going to hit you with an attack, shield it to leave them wide open to attack. however don't do that if the attack is too strong or your shield will break.

also try to get good at several characters so that you don't get good with only one; i have a few mains that i can easily win with now. it's nice to study some characters, like seeing all their potential combos, studying specific moves to determine when it kills or its ending lag, or just watch montages on youtube to see everything the character can do

if an opponent is going to hit you with an attack, shield it to leave them wide open to attack. however don't do that if the attack is too strong or your shield will break.
Eh it's pretty basic advice. Instead try to anticipate when they're going to attack and what attack they'll use. Slower characters are more easily telegraphed but they tend to have other tricks up their sleeves such as their specials or surprisingly quick aerials that can lead into a slower, stronger attack combo. Also instead of shielding, you can do side-stepping or roll dodging. This also dodges their attempt at grabbing you. But if they anticipate you shielding or dodging, they CAN grab you or try to manuever themselves around your shield to try to hit you, especially if the shield is weak. Additionally, if you try to dodge, they can follow through with a quick attack and catch you OR downsmash can grab you if you try rolling behind them, like Wario's dsmash, Ganondorf/Captain Falcon's dsmash designed to punish rollers.

you should learn how to use aerials better. they're incredibly useful if you wanna edgeguard, and they can also come out as fast attacks. plus some of them like mario's forward air or k rool's down air spike, so you should get better at using them offstage.
True, but you should also incorporate aerials as part of your ground game too, not just when the opponent's airborne. Again, short hops are crucial to learn. As a Mario main, I like to use short-hops plus neutral air since neutral air comes out so quick, but also d-air's another good anti-juggle move.

Press B to inhale.

Press side B to pull an ink roller out of your back pocket.

Press up B to torture yourself with lightning.

And of course, press down B to make wind.

At your level of play, it doesn't matter how good a character is, only how much you enjoy them, tier lists only start to matter at the highest levels of play, so you'll probably not have to worry about them ever.

Rumble doesn't affect gameplay, so you'll be fine.

as someone who plays quite a bit of mario in smash, i can tell ya a few tips, like practicing his forward air so that you can spike (it's really satisfying to land one, even if youre good at it). it's important to learn the spike hitbox for the forward air, because hitting someone with it doesn't guarantee a spike.

i know of a few mario combos, like down throw>down air or up throw>up air>midair jump>up air>up b. i guess you could look up other ones.

also the cape could come in handy. not just to reflect projectiles, but also to cape opponents, meaning that you make them face the opposite of the direction they're facing. even if it doesn't deal knockback, it can kinda help to edgeguard or ruin your opponent's combo.

Does anyone have any tips for me? I can't seem to clear the challenge of against 4 lv 9 CPUs KO 3 opponents with a meteor smash, this must be done within 3 minutes, with spirits off, and without handicaps, And its called donkey kong and its in the top right corner of the first challenge category. I need to know who to play and who would be the best opponents. Any ideas?

2.0 damage ratio is your friend, that mode can easily net you KOs as it's the best way to bypass handicaps and lack of spirits.

I recall playing a 8 player game to get this one, when one cpu goes over the edge, a lot of them tend to follow them off and it's much more likely you can spike at least one of them

Large opponents are of course the easiest to spike, and I would recommend just using your main and practicing landing a spike properly in training mode for a bit

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. Do you guys have a tip for getting a sunday sale in the vault shop? I keep checking often every sunday but nothing happens.
And

no idea, but if you just play the game enough you should have more than enough cash for anything you need very quickly

I think you can sell surplus snacks and other items for gold too? Maybe thats just spirit points, I'm not sure

You can also play betting on spectate mode and earn some gold that way

Yes i have done those things.

Do you think maybe its cause i haven't had a system update yet?

Do these things to get a lot better quickly:

1- Set C-stick to Tilt attacks and use A+Direction to smash, Set your R button to jump and learn to instant turn around back air.
2- In training practice Tilts and B moves out of dash both forwards and backwards
3- From shield practice Up-B, Upsmash, grab, roll, spot dodge and jump.
4- Learn the true combos your character has, either through guides or in training mode. Then use them often.
5- Practice edge guarding
6- Play people online and take your losses as a learning experience, every loss is an opportunity for improvement. Record the replay if you got destroyed.
7- Watch your opponent 75% of the time, not yourself, guess what they are going to do.
8- Subscribe to me on youtube FrozenFresh. (Just kidding, but I make funny smash vids :P)

so uh, about the spiking challenge, i remember it being really hard (i eventually pulled it off, but it was probably the last challenge i completed). one tip is picking a character who is easy to spike with. dk definitely works, but if you need other characters, i used k rool to do it. you could also search the best ways to spike an opponent, like, studying some hitboxes, and checking which characters have spikes, so that you find the best character for the challenge.

about the sunday sale thing tho, i have no idea. i remember getting the achievement pretty early on, and i don't remember how the sale works

Anyone else plays against level 9 computers? If yes, then I have to congratulate you for playing against them. I think I'm still not ready for Elite Smash, but I'll be training to get there as soon as I can. In my vids you'll see replays of me fighting level-8 CPUs and I recently started playing against Level-9s, and I've surprisingly won a lot of matches against them. Pikachu's my main, and my main way to get KOs is using his D-Air. This move is an incredible spike, and it's so easy to hit on the sweet spot half of my KOs are thanks to this move.

I play against 7 level 9's all the time, usually in teams. It's amusing how much they kill each other in the same team lol

Level 9s tend to not do well at all in free for alls in my experience. They tend to leave themselves exposed when trying to edge guard.

Back