30 day video game music challenge!

You know what?

Shovel Knight: No Weapons Here

Really cool theme. My favorite theme from this game is actually the Treasure Knight stage's theme but for this specific day I'm gonna have to answer with this.

BRUHH i wanted to say starship mario too like one of the previous posts. its just good vibes. i like both the first and last versions even for different reasons. reminds me of the sims sometimes for some reason a lot of songs just Do That and I Dont Know Why
now id like to answer something for overworld too if i even got what that means exactly

5. Favorite Hub World Music - Rougeport - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Yes, I'm going to be the boring one today and go right to one of my favorite Mario games, and my honorable mention for the day is going to be just the same - Delfino Plaza. I think what unites both themes is the fact that both Delfino Plaza and Rougeport are interesting, evolving hubworlds. They offer plenty to do (or, well, in the latter's case, it offers a space to jump around and waste time), and they change over the course of the game. If you're like me, and you constantly return to talk to NPCs and see if their dialogue has changed, then that's an easy, easy way to make your hub world more engaging.

Overall, I'm sure there's a bit of a nostalgia factor, but I think this theme represents a very well-crafted and engaging hubworld. Rougeport feels familiar to this day, like a town I know well, from all of its shops to its residents both unsavoury and respectable. The music itself is good, too, which doesn't hurt. It reflects Rougeport's shady culture, its town of pirates and thieves nature, but it doesn't go overboard with it and make them town seem horrible.

Honestly, I'd put Rogueport too. But sacrifices must be made for Hard Mode. Besides, doing some digging into my own memories solved the problem, so...

Day 5: Warp Room - Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex

You know, I can never remember the name of that one sports theme when I'm trying to remember it. Regardless, this theme was catchy enough that when kid me played Wrath of Cortex, I'd sometimes just fuck around and idle in the hub level without actually entering any of the levels, for the sole purpose of hearing the music. It basically had me jazzed from the start of the game even if I was going to go try the same levels over again and fail miserably, so I'm happy to put it here!

Day 4: Upper Brinstar - Super Metroid

It took me a while to think of an answer for this category, but I've finally decided on one. The song has a funky feel, yet it still manages to retain some of the more ambient aspects of Metroid music. It wouldn't say it's the most fitting song for this game, I guess you could argue it works it has a more upbeat tone to help the player push onward and explore at an early point in the game? I'm not sure, I fully agree with that, but what I do know is that it's good song and that's why I've chosen it.

Day 5: Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger

I'm pretty sure this plays during the Overworld of 600 A.D., so it's going to be my pick for today. The song itself is rather calm, yet it has a mysterious aspect to it, which I feel is a good choice for how early in the game this plays, it's not solemn or dire to show how high the stakes are, just mysterious, as you're trying to figure out a way to get back to the present. I described the mystery of the song as an aspect, and I feel this helps to make this feel less urgent, as it's not an overwhelming feeling.

Day 5 - Hub world or overworld music

The instant I saw this day with the favorite hub world music, I thought of this theme from Diddy Kong Racing, so I love this especially based on its nostalgia. I love the different areas in this game, I'd spend a lot of time simply wandering around this hubworld on a plane, even today, as I like how all interconnected the worlds feel and how open the world is. And I love hearing all of the different variants of the theme as you go in different areas, fully taking advantage of multiple streams, so it's so cool. Oh and you hear Taj blissfully humming to this theme as you approach near him, so that's nice and all.

I really wish there was a sequel to this game, the hub world feels small by today's standards and I would love to see a larger, expanded versions of it which I think would be swell. Don't think CTR's hub world can quite compare to this one, it feels more corridors and restricted compared to DKR's.

day 2(opening level): Silver Surfer - Level 1

for favourite overworld theme, i'm going with The Cold Morning Star Passes By from Tales of Vesperia, which plays on the overworld during the second act of the game. it's a very grand sounding theme, and it only starts playing in the overworld after you finish up a huge part of the narrative and essentially start on the next chapter of your journey with new goals and destinations, and i feel like this piece really captures that feeling well

if i were to go for a hub theme, the first thing that comes to mind is the Comet Observatory, i guess

Day 6 - Music that Makes you feel relaxed [Hard Mode]
Soft Light
The Excess Express at Dusk

Well I don't believe I've given one from the two galaxies so far so I'll say Cosmic Cove Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy 2.

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker 1
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Reactions: zel
day 6: am i already starting to repeat myself you can tell im not doing hard mode
i answered this a few days ago in another thread funny enough but if i hafta give shoutouts to one of these,
its just beautiful it even stood out to me when i first played the game back in 2013! its unusually serene for the super goofy tone the game has and even some other songs in sea of serendipity
and it makes me think to the level you hear this the most prominiently in, freaking flipper, where in the last area you go out of underwater cave into a beautiful open ocean that looks like nothig else in the game. ok so basically stan this game stan the music in this game stan the music in sea of serendipity

I am legally required to post Minecraft.

Day 6: Aria Math - Minecraft

This song was intended for creative mode, so it has a different feel to it then many of the other songs in the game. It's not eerie like The End, depressing like the songs in the Nether. It does provide a peaceful quality to it, similar to the songs that play in the overworld, yet it's doesn't provide the same feeling that those songs do, and I think I can bring this down to a simple reason, it has an ethereal quality to it. Many of the songs that play in the overworld feel rather grounded, making use of instruments such as Pianos, and having rather simple melodies. Take the iconic Sweden as an example, it's slow paced with the leading being played on a Piano, and not much else goes on in the background. Dry Hands and Wet Hands are good examples as well, both being played on a Piano and nothing else.

Aria Math is different in this aspect, the song itself is complex, making use of multiple synths and instruments throughout the song, yet not so complex as to where it becomes overwhelming for a song that's meant to be so calming. According to a comment on the video, the lead instrument is a 'Opsilon Handpan', and it's an instrument that I'm sure is far more obscure then a basic Piano, and that partially helps with the ethereal aspect of this song. It's an instrument that provides a unique sound, and one that I personally haven't heard outside of this song, making it a new, unusual sound to hear. It's a tone that I think suits Creative Mode very well, as you're not restricted by resources in that mode, just what you as a player can build. It's calm and peaceful, leaving the player in a similar state, and it's in the background enough as to where the player has a lot of room to think without the song getting in the way.

time for one of my obscure pulls

Day 6: World 1 - Hina's Fluffy Dream

It's not often that the opening music of a game is something super chill, huh? But it works for a game about exploring and escaping a dream world, and considering the difficulty starts ramping up pretty quickly, it lines up well with how the scaling is (until postgame...) - World 1 is a pile of super easy levels to teach you basic mechanics, and it doesn't need to go super intense. As befits a game all about dreams, this theme makes me want to curl up and take a nap.

Gotterdammerung, I shouldn't have used XD already because the Relic Forest music is absolutely the most relaxing piece of music I've ever encountered in a videogame.

Such is life on hard mode... However, while again Octopath tempts me with some pieces, i'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit that this is the theme I most often turn to when I need to relax...

6. National Park - Heartgold and Soulsilver

I don't think there's even been such a simple theme that has so transfixed me as this one. I've always, since I first heard it in the original Gold and Silver, adored the National Park music. Perhaps it's because the National Park feels significant, to me? There's this very large, open, never-crowded, lush, green park just minutes away from my home with wonderful walking trails that take you by pond, through forest, and up and down hills. Some of my fondest memories are of walks in that park, and so the National Park has always felt to me like a little miniature, digital version of that. Its theme is one that I can just put on and loop endlessly for hours if I need to relax, if I need to provide my body with a cue that "this is a day you can take it slowly, that you can rest at ease and not feel horrible for doing so." And yes, now that I have headphones and have this piece downloaded to my phone, I sometimes even listen to this when I'm on a walk in the park. It's excellent walking music, and while there's a lot of relaxing pieces I probably would call better than this one, there are none I've turned to more often than this simple, calming melody.

Day 6 - Music that makes you feel relaxed

Super Mario 3D World (Beach Music) - Baech music in Mario games are always relaxing for me to listen to, and it was hard to choose one. I went with Super Mario 3D World, because it's cheery and not intense at all. It tells you that the level is just supposed to be fun and chilling. Also, I love the jazzy feel.

Reactions: zel
why did i never post here

anyway since i never posted here imma say all my music choices up until day 6:

Day 1: Title screen music

I love Mario & Luigi Superstar saga. Definitely up there with my favourite games ever. one thing i love is how the game greets you with a song that is honestly such a bop.

I decided to go with the remade version cause it's catchier

Day 2: Opening level music

There are a lot of games that started with a big joy to the ears, but honestly i like the opening level theme in shovel knight. It makes you feel really welcome and basically shows you how good the ost of this game is gonna be

Day 3: 8 bit music

So yeah shovel knight takes another spot here. ngl it has some of the best 8bit music ive ever heard. my choice might be between the specter of torment version of pridemoor keep or the specter of torment version of the lich yard. honestly i think i'll go with pridemoor keep. it just sounds so happy and fills me with joy

Day 4: Music from a console specific series

So it was kinda hard to find the right song to put here. i mostly know about nintendo so im picking a nintendo song. there are so many amazing songs and it's really hard to decide what song is the best one. i guess im going with this one song from kirby return to dreamland cause it's my favourite from that game

Day 5: Hub world music

ok this is just nostalgia bias, but i'm going with the comet observatory from mario galaxy

Day 6: Music that makes you feel relaxed

i was gonna go with space junk galaxy from mario galaxy, but it's more beautiful than relaxing. same for most quiet mario galaxy songs. quite frankly i'm going with this one song from mario odyssey

not sure if im allowed to skip days like that so tell me if its not

Oh fuck I already said The Sims 4 for the hard mode, I would have easily used its Create-a-Sim themes in this day, which I think are well constructed and how they build up within the menus and cycle with a bunch of other songs so you don't get tired of it looping endlessly. Ah well.

Oh my god, what should I go with?

Day 6 - Music that makes you feel relaxed

I was about go with 1 AM from Animal Crossing: New Leaf but some of the responses that used Metroid Prime made me immediately think of this piece. Metroid Prime generally has a great atmospheric soundtrack to go with its beautiful setpieces, and this one stood out to me (though I could easily also go with Tallon Overworld, the first variation of it). It's so relaxing despite you being in a hostile alien environment, and it's immediately the first song I think of when I think of blissful snowy environments. I really wish this was a stage in the Super Smash Bros. series, it would be a gigantic break from the lava-filled levels and we get something more tranquil, we don't exactly have much stages with a tranquil, desolate feeling in them anyway, oh and we have very few ice levels in general, with the only ice levels I can think of in Smash Bros. being both Ice Climber stages.

Reactions: JC.
Back