30 day video game music challenge!

Day 6: Relaxing Music

Kirby's Return to DreamLand: Chilly Area

Even as a kid, my jaw dropped when this theme started playing. It's an astounding, yet simple composition that perfectly captures the emptiness, yet beauty of the snowy, frozen lands of the south-western corner of Planet Popstar. Love it. Too bad it lasts for half a level only.

You could say this theme is very... chill

hmmm, this is a tough one... there's a couple i can think of but i want to save those games for later on in the month... ah, screw it, i'll just find something else to fill in rpg battle music
my pick for today is Cerulean Woodlands from Etrian Odyssey IV. It's such a peaceful, gentle theme... it makes wandering the lush forest and mapping it out a nice, quiet and enjoyable experience (well, until you face a random encounter). this track has a huge part in selling the game and giving a sample of the soundtrack, and is definitely one of the reasons i bought the game. an honourable mention also goes to A Brief Respite, which plays when you save the game (meaning it only really plays for like 3 seconds at a time), very relaxing and was the initial pick i was gonna go with before i realised that Cerulean Woodlands is even more chill. this is actually my phone ringtone which would be great if my phone wasn't always on vibrate 100% of the time.
anyway the whole soundtrack is great so check it out here and especially check out Battlefield - Storm cause that was probably gonna be my pick for RPG Battle music

I personally think EOIV had the weakest soundtrack and it's still great, EO music is just amazing and I love it all. My opinion on the music in each EO game is probably consistent with how much I enjoy each game though, like if I was hard-pressed to choose the worst EO game I'd say IV but then IV is still an 8/10 game that's also a good gateway for newcomers because its not quite as difficult as the others. But then I guess which starting game is best depends on the person, EOIV (more like a standard jrpg and eases you in), Untold (story mode and pre-set party + people who want to start at 1) or EOV (most up to date gameplay and qol features) are all good starting points.

I'm usually against teasers well in advance of a games release or development but I'm glad Atlus did show an Etrian teaster two years ago because with the death of the 3DS the future of the series was really up in the air, at least now I know while I'm being blue balled there is going to be a reward at the end.

day 7: music from an indie game
minecraft count? if so GOD i love dreiton i remember firts hearing it in like? 2017? and it just amazed me. i dont know how to explain it why i love it a much as i do
if not then starbound music i guess! this ones just really nice i do be havin slight nostalgia from this
god i miss starbound

Day 7: Music From an indie game [Hard Mode]

Minecraft's Sweden.

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker 1
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Minecraft

Reactions: zel
As most of the posts from this thread featuring an indie game have, I'm choosing a game with Knight in the title.

Hollow Knight

Day 7: Crystal Peaks - Hollow Knight

This was less of a question of what game, and more which song. I was considering City of Tears, or one of the boss themes (Hornet or the White Defender), but I chose this as it's always been a song that's stuck out in my mind ever since I first heard, and was the song that made me want to listen to the soundtrack. I actually prefer the in-game version to OST Version, as despite being four minutes long it doesn't manage to include every variation of the song, just the main part of the song, the chimes, and the action separately. The specific of variation I like the most is the main, and chimes together (this video is the best example I could find). The chimes and glistening capture the sound of the crystals, and the clanging of metal reminds of Weapons Factory in Super Mario RPG, it's subtle, but a nice touch.

Day 7: Music from an indie game

was thinking of going with yet another shovel knight song, but if theres one other indie game that has truly amazing songs, that's cuphead. my favourite song from that game is botanic panic. floral fury was close to being the best, and im proud that they chose it for smash, but i like botanic panic better

Day 7: Music from an indie game
Geothermal - Cave Story
What I like about this song is that it evokes two different feelings both instances it plays. All of its later versions are great as well (a lot of people didn't like the WiiWare soundtrack but having played that version first, I personally liked the takes on some of the songs, this one included), and I should also mention this sick fan cover.

This one's a hard choice. I've played a bunch of indie games. So ultimately, I went with...

Day 7: Greater Good - Iconoclasts

I've always really liked industrial themes. Themes that represent artificial and mechanized areas, and this one is a great example of that. It really fits the aesthetic of breaking into a factory and forcing your way through it whatever stands in your way. Iconoclasts was a good game! Surprisingly dark, but definitely a good game.

three for one special because i have not had any time the last two days

Day 5 (Hub world or overworld music): Comet Observatory 1 (Super Mario Galaxy)

So something I didn't learn until the beginning of the week was that the music changes and becomes more extravagant as you unlock more areas in the game. But the first rendition of this piece is the best, even with how simple it is. It's just very peaceful.

Day 6 (Music that makes you feel relaxed): Dire Dire Docks (Super Mario 64)

This song honestly makes me feel like I'm just floating, not having a care in the world. If the dictionary definition of 'vibing' was a song, it would be this.

Day 7 (Music from an indie game): Dance of the Decorous and March of the Profane (Crypt of the Necrodancer)

Two songs is kinda cheating but in all technicality, these are the same song, just arranged differently. The former is techno, much like many of the other songs in the game, while the latter is more like rock. In game, it switches between the two arrangements depending on where you are in the level that these are from. It's the coolest thing ever and the whole zone that this level is in is like that.

Day 7 - Music from an indie game

This was hard for me to pick, as I barely know any indie games. While going through some soundtracks on YouTube, I came across this:

Shovel Knight (The Adventure Awaits - Map Screen) - This tune caught my eye (or should I say ear) because of the vibe I get while listening to it. The tune seems to be urging me forward, wanting to unleash some cool melody, but waiting for me first. This fits well, considering that this plays on the map screen, which could be interpreted as an intermission between the action. Or maybe I'm looking into this too much.

Day 7 - Music from an indie game

I forgot I had this game after I dug around my head for indie titles I have played, and this little game resurfaced, and I often confuse this game with Runbow as they're both competitive runner games that use items to screw others over, but I honestly prefer this one than to Runbow as it plays more fluidly and has less annoying items iirc. Game's a competitive sidescroller runner and you use items to hinder your opponents similar in the vein of Mario Kart. I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit, and its soundtrack is no different from it. I could have picked any of the intense, jazzy, superhero-like tunes from the game but this one stood out to me being more emphasized on the tension more than the fast-paced nature of the game.

alright this one was a really hard choice, cause theres a lot of good indie games i could have chosen from. there's a lot of other options i've considered, like hat in time, 100% orange juice... i think zange already took my top pick with crypt of the necrodancer, so for the sake of doing something different i won't go with that. so today i'm gonna go with an old classic, Positive Force from VVVVVV. VVVVVV has a great chiptune soundtrack, and this is probably one of my favourites. it really gets you pumped up and ready to go, and i love how it increases in intensity as the song goes on

as far as honourable mentions go, i'm gonna shout out the Fields theme from Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, which I'm pretty sure is an indie game despite being a psuedo-sequel to the Wonder Boy series. not a lot to say about it, it's a good, upbeat field theme which really suits the feel of starting an adventure, which is fitting since this track plays once the story introduction parts are over and you start the game proper

Day 8 - Music from a shooter game (first or third person) [Hard Mode]

N/A. I play no shooter games, I have played Call of Duty: Ghosts before but that was only once and for like half an hour and I seriously do not remember what it sounded like. And I generally only listen to VGM from games I have played so yeah I have nothing to put forth for today.

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker 1
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Minecraft

Day 7: Indie

shit, I already did Shovel Knight... uh...

Megalovania?

Listen guys. It's an inside joke with my irl friends and I cannot not mention it at least once.

I'll think of one for day 8 now.

day 8: i really havent played any rooty tooty point n shootys but splatoon has some good ones ??? which i just know of thanks to smash. the only one i have downloaded is acid hues i think but isnt it a remix

Day 8: music from a shooter

I don't play shooter games, so i barely know any shooter games, much less music from those games. i guess if megaman counts then im picking the megaman 2 main theme even though i dont have a lot of attachment to this song. i couldve gone with a cuphead song but i already did and dont wanna put the same song twice.

I suspect a majority of posts today will be from Splatoon, considering that is the only shooter outside of Metroid Prime that Nintendo has made, and I doubt many people on this forum have played Metroid Prime due to the fact the last game in the series released at least ten years ago, and that Metroid is considerably different from a majority of Nintendo's other offerings. I'll personally stick to trying to avoid Nintendo games for this, which means I have an opportunity to post a song from a game I like, but never get a chance to talk about.

Character Select - Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2

A slow paced rendition rendition that takes inspiration from Electronic music, and Rock with the usage of Guitars.

Thought I was gonna pick Metroid for this day? You thought wrong!

Day 8: At Doom's Gate - Doom

I might have never played Doom, but this track is a classic and a headbanger for a reason. It's enough to make me want to play some incarnation of the game, or at least find some incarnation of hell and then storm my way through it with a big gun. Rip and tear, until it is done.

Optional: linking one of the many meme covers of the song instead.

Day 8: Music from a shooter (first or third person)

This piece is pretty well-known and iconic from anyone who has played Goldeneye on the N64, which in of itself is extremely influential for shooters on console games. Oh, and I guess this also doubles as music from a licensed game as well. From my experience with shooters, Left 4 Dead 2, Singularity, and Half-Life don't really employ very heavy soundtracks, focusing more on ambient pieces.

like a lot of people here i dont really play shooters, but once again my childhood with a ps2 has saved me. todays pick, for music from a shooter (third person in this case) is Metropolis, Kerwan from Ratchet and Clank 3. I played this series, and 3 in particular, a lot when i was a kid, and i think this track is probably one of the most iconic, especially considering it's been in multiple games. i picked the ratchet and clank 3 version mostly because it's what i heard the most, but i do like some of the musical additions they made to make it sound more appropriate for the different story context of this game (i.e. metropolis being invaded)

Back