30 day video game music challenge!

Day 2.

Okay, I'm going to play with the definition of this one, here, because it's... kind of hard to talk about the first "level" if you aren't looking at it from the perspective of a platformer or something. (Is the first "level" of TTYD Rougeport or Petal Meadows, for example?)

First, I have to give an honorable mention to the original poster's choice of Greenhorn Forest, because that's seriously an incredible piece for an opening level. I also have to give special mention to Bob-Omb Battlefield, which, while it never really made it high enough in the rankings for me to consider it as a favorite but is still pretty iconic.

Ultimately, though, I'm going to go with 2. The Cipher Lab from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.

So, okay, yes, this is the fifth location you visit in the game, so I'm definitely stretching the definition, but I consider the first "level" because it's the first dungeon you actually work your way through in a game with a narrative arc defined by and broken up by its major dungeons. Alas, it also means I won't be able to use the Agate Village theme, or the Relic Forest theme, or the Miror B. Battle theme, or the Pyrite Town theme... Actually, you know what? Please, everyone, go listen to the XD GoD soundtrack right this instant, it's great, and I might even go so far to call it some of the consistently best in the series.

In any case, so, why do I choose this music? Well, like Greenhorn Forest, it has an incredible energy, a vibrancy that pumps you up. It doesn't go overboard with it. It's not music that makes you want to party, or even to really get up and dance for that matter. But it makes you want to tackle an obstacle. It makes you want to press forward in a metaphorical sense. It may be because the music itself feels as though it's in constant motion, with those continual percussion beats, the shifting of the overlay elements from keyboard to wind to periods with only the percussion, the restlessness of that overlay, which really never settles into a pattern.

I guess this is extra cheating, in a sense, because this track and location actually appeared before, in Colosseum, as the last major non-boss rush dungeon. Yet, I feel like the music didn't really... work? It didn't work as final dungeon music, in my opinion. It didn't have enough gravity. It didn't have ominousness for this laboratory where cruel biological experiments were being carried out, and it didn't have the weight to feel like you were finishing off a threat you'd been dismantling all game. As first dungeon music, though? It works much better. You're easing into a threat, one you don't even really recognize at this point in the game is as cruel and threatening as they appear. I mean, there's even a little charm and silliness to Cipher at this point, between the Super Sentai wannabe Hexagon Brothers, the scientists who clearly don't want to bother fighting you, the ever worn down Naps, and the valley girl, almost ditzy personality hiding a vicious intellect in Lovrina. This track has a light-heartedness that matches all of that, and it still serves the job of energizing you to tackle the dungeon and start bursting into the rest of the game.

But, it's not all light-hearted, and that's good. It shouldn't be, given the context. There's still something off about it, namely, it feels... artificial. Not artificial in the sense that it's techno, or has a sci-fi feel. No, it just feels... constructed. That constant percussion in the bottom of the piece gives me the impression of machines humming along non-stop, with its rapid pace. This is probably the part I struggle most to put into words, but it doesn't feel natural. If it felt natural, it would be slower, you'd have less occasional staccato in the piece. I don't really have a good way to express this, but, if you separated this out from its context and asked me to describe where it plays, some kind of concrete world with lots of flashing lights and a constant buzz of activity would be my answer, which isn't too far off from the metallic world where Cipher's research and development happens.

Last edited:
Day 2: Fearless Challenger - La-Mulana

Imagine walking into a complex of ruins for the first time and having this play to welcome you. La-Mulana's one heck of a confusing, difficult, and fun game, but the music really helps carry you forward, and nowhere is that more apparent than in the theme of its opening area, the Gate of Guidance. Every time I listen to this theme, I feel pumped up to go dive in and eventually curl up into a ball going "I'm not stupid!" when the puzzles outdo me and explore the whole thing top to bottom. In short, as befits the name, it makes me feel like a fearless challenger.

Day 2 - Opening Level Music

Super Mario Sunshine - Very relaxing music, and it sets the beach tone that will appear for the rest of the game. I originally wanted to go with another Mario game, but the fact that Sunshine basically just has one theme consistently for the whole game means that the opening level music isn't a grassland theme for once.

Day 2: The Adventure Begins - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

The soundtrack of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is very different from any other Kirby game out there, with a lot of rock themes rather than orchestral ones, and The Adventure Begins (not to be confused with the RtDL theme of the same name) is no exception. I mean yeah, we all love the iconic Green Greens theme, but I really can't think of a better theme than this to start your adventure.

I'm not attempting any hard mode thing or w/e, I'm not going to force myself to try and find different games on purpose but there's enough games that I might end up not having any overlap anyway.

Day 1 - Title screen music: Cave Story - T26: Cave Story (Plantation / Main Theme)

Honestly I don't listen to title screen music and if it's a good one that takes too long to get into its groove then I also probably don't listen to it because the title screen is the place I spend the least time on. Cave Story has a good jam though.

Day 2 - Opening level music: Mega Man X - Central Highway (Opening Stage)

City Escape was already mentioned so I'll add the other one I think of when I consider opening stages. I couldn't really think of any others because it's far too vague for a lot of games, also most stage 1 themes are relatively forgettable or tame compared to the rest of the soundtrack that accompanies them.

For today's pick, Best Opening Level, I'm gonna go with The Gardens from LittleBigPlanet. Like, man, this brings back memories. It's such an upbeat song that perfectly matches the theme of the level and the start of a big adventure, and the fact that it's a dynamic song (i.e. as you progress through the stage, different instruments enter and exit the mix) just adds to the feel. And that flute is just 👌👌👌

Day One (Title Screen): Scarlet Beyond a Crimson Dream (Touhou Embodiment of Scarlet Devil)

Of course I put a Touhou song right off the bat. Anyways, this song really has this dark and foreboding feeling, which I love a lot for this game. It's almost like they're trying to scream "warning: evil ahead" at you.

Day Two (Opening Level): Destiny Islands (Kingdom Hearts Re:coded)

Honestly this is just a really fun theme. It's so summery! I was playing pretty far into this game sometime last year and I got to the part where I had to revisit this level and hearing this theme again made me really happy.

Day 2: Strike the Earth! - Shovel Knight

I don't know what all I can say about this track that hasn't already been said. It's a perfect piece of music to get you excited for the rest of this game, and it introduces you directly to how fantastic the rest of this masterful soundtrack is going to be. I adore the Shovel Knight soundtracks so much, and this track is no exception

day 3: 8-bit music
first thought is super mario bros 2! the overworld theme is pretty famous but i do quite like the ending too
smb3 got some nice ones too like the credits also and the sky land theme BOPS

Day 3 - 8-Bit Music

Super Mario Land - The game has some of the catchiest music ever, and the Muda Kingdom is some of the best 8-bit music I've heard. It's calming, catchy and chiptune-y.

Reactions: zel
Day 3 - 8-Bit Music

SMB1 Ghost House from Super Mario Maker - I love how spooky it is

This one's hard for me, because I have very little experience with 8-bit games! Most of my retro has been 16-bit and onwards, the only NES game I've played much is the original Metroid.

Though, apparently the Game Boy Color counts as 8-bit, so assuming that's true (correct me if not)...

Day 3: Skull Dungeon - Oracle of Ages

The Oracle games have a whole bunch of dungeon themes that still stick with me today - Ancient Ruins, Dancing Dragon Dungeon, Moonlit Grotto all come to mind. But ultimately the one I find myself humming at unexpected times or thinking "wow that fits here" is the Skull Dungeon's theme. It's got an ominous weight to it, but it's still catchy and memorable despite that, and it works well for the depths of a volcano. Man I love the Oracle games.

Day 3: Grape Garden - Kirby's Adventure

When I first started playing video games, my mother had me start with the NES, before working my way up the rankings, so I had a lot of fond memories of NES games. The most prominent one, though, was Kirby's Adventure. There were plenty of tracks I could've picked from the game, especially Butter Building, but I think that Grape Garden is a truly gorgeous piece of music, even in its original 8-bit form.

3. Mega Man II Title Theme

Admittedly, today's pick is heavily, heavily influenced by Brawl in the Family's "Prodigal Robot", which was the thing that first turned my attention to Mega Man music in general and continues to color my perception of all of the pieces remixed in it. Even removing it from my personal context, though, this is just... well, a good eight-bit piece, really. It captures those early days of gaming, and what they were able to do in spite of limitations. It pumps you up and gets you ready for adventure, and it's an interesting tune that sticks in the ear. I don't have much else I can say on this one, really, but I like it.

Day Three (8-bit music): Moon Theme (Ducktales)

Let's ignore the fact that the only reason I know this song exists is because of a meme... but the feeling of wonder that I get when I listen to this song is like no other. It's like discovering something new and fascinating... much like going to the moon! Also, have you heard the remaster of this song, it is absolutely gorgeous.

Day 3: Title Theme - RoboCop (Game Boy)

Now, I have never played this game, or even heard of it prior to hearing this tune. But really...once I heard this, there was really no contest for the Day 3 winner. Even though it's just the title theme for an obscure handheld movie game, you can tell the composer really put their all into this work of art. Heck, you can even read a recent interview with the composer about this song: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...c_game_boy_theme_tune_lives_on_30_years_later

Day 3: Title Theme - RoboCop (Game Boy)

Now, I have never played this game, or even heard of it prior to hearing this tune. But really...once I heard this, there was really no contest for the Day 3 winner. Even though it's just the title theme for an obscure handheld movie game, you can tell the composer really put their all into this work of art. Heck, you can even read a recent interview with the composer about this song: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...c_game_boy_theme_tune_lives_on_30_years_later
wow i'd never heard of this but it's actual real nice

DAY 3: 8-BIT MUSIC
Yogurt Yard from Kirby's Adventure, that's a really catchy one

Scratch that, the Silver Surfer has a way better song. The game itself is featured in an AVGN episode, but goddamn the music pushes the NES to the limit with its complexity, like, I can see it translated to a really good modern game song.

a very worthy mention is Lazy Jones's bgm; it is direct inspiration for the popular song Kernkraft 400 or this variation we hear at sporting events.

Last edited:
Back