Paper Mario: The Origami King

Two gripes with it so far tho, the arms and confetti. These both seem like really boring gimmicks that boil down to: stand here, do that, go on with your day.

Okay okay okay, so I saw a tweet that had a screenshot of the UK Origami King website. The screenshot talked about weapons, and here's the screenshot:

IMG_20200612_114000.jpg

This seems to imply that, while normal boots and hammer don't wear out, the shiny weapons do. If this is indeed the case, then I can finally say that I'm 100% hyped for this game.

i am FINE with paper gimmicks and a battle system that isn't exactly like the first two. but i want doopliss, i want watt, i want bobbery, i don't want toad who is green, and toad who is red

i am FINE with paper gimmicks and a battle system that isn't exactly like the first two. but i want doopliss, i want watt, i want bobbery, i don't want toad who is green, and toad who is red
these characters is dead.

and there's some og designs as well

sick of generic mario characters? do you crave for more originality? don't worry, in this game you can now battle interesting bosses such as:

*pencil
*rubber band
*tape.

i rolled my eyes so hard at that. this game IS a fucking joke. can we please, PLEASE, kick Tanabe out of the office and leave him make his stupid little web games for toddlers?

pencil, rubber band, and tape will be much more interesting bosses than tubba blubba or the smorgs will ever be

sick of generic mario characters? do you crave for more originality? don't worry, in this game you can now battle interesting bosses such as:

*pencil
*rubber band
*tape.

i rolled my eyes so hard at that. this game IS a fucking joke. can we please, PLEASE, kick Tanabe out of the office and leave him make his stupid little web games for toddlers?
I've been asking for Paper Mario to wrestle with a scissor for a literally over a decade and a half now, sorry I got my wish in some form

PM_Mario_Artwork.jpg

and also don't wish for people to quit their jobs and accuse others for being "toddlers" because a game didn't turn out the way you liked; you sound like why I've made my avatar in the first place *taps pfp*

You know a post like this really makes you look more immature then the supposed "toddlers" you claim this game to be for.

i wasn't saying this particular game is for toddlers, the game has some strong points including the battle system which seems to be a step in the right direction. and i agree my initial reactions to things tend to be... a bit unrestrained. but you aren't going to pull in new players with colored pencils, which i find to be really lame, and i personally find the decision to restrict the cast to generic mario stuff with some other gimmicky paper characters to be insufferable.

good job insulting me though.

pencil, rubber band, and tape will be much more interesting bosses than tubba blubba or the smorgs will ever be

lol

yeah i think the game looks too vanilla so far

tell me another rpg where you fight a bunch of colored pencils that shoots missiles at you

idk but there was this game i played long ago on miniclip.com where you're a demon that shoots bouncing bubbles. that's comparable.

and also don't wish for people to quit their jobs

that man is a large part of the reason metroid prime was turned into a football shooter "spin-off" and paper mario sticker star turned out to a sticker-collector with some other things around it.

now, aside of the quality of these games--which is poor--these ideas really give off the vibe of something that could work in a game you play at computer classes in middle-school. and what i saw in the new paper mario trailer, appearance-wise, felt lame. it felt childish, like it's courting the "nintendo is for kids" cliche.

i don't know what happened to tanabe. he directed super mario bros 2, a good game, after all.

Last edited:
sorry mate, but nothing bosses in paper mario did compares to a box of talking colored pencils having a minigun-like attack

sorry mate, but nothing bosses in paper mario did compares to a box of talking colored pencils having a minigun-like attack
at the very least i'm glad it isn't a giant piranha plant or something, but i'd still prefer bosses who have more story behind them and personality (such as beldam and kammy koopa) beyond mwa ha ha i'm an evil pencilcase who shoots missiles that are actually pencils

Then again, this is probably just Intelligent Systems we're talking about. The company behind WarioWare. And a disco pig as an attack. And giant slab of steak.

at the very least i'm glad it isn't a giant piranha plant or something, but i'd still prefer bosses who have more story behind them and personality (such as beldam and kammy koopa) beyond mwa ha ha i'm an evil pencilcase who shoots missiles that are actually pencils

oh, so you mean bosses like the ice king, smorgs, ruff puff, tutankoopa, lava piranha, hooktail who have plenty of compelling back story and a lot of personality aside from "im evil and i need to guard this mcguffin"?

I unironically think that the steak was one of the most memorable bosses in Color Splash because of how bizarre it is. Same with the pencil case, tape etc. They're out-there ideas, and I appreciate it more than giant or more powerful versions of enemies because of how much they stick out.

oh, so you mean bosses like the ice king, smorgs, ruff puff, tutankoopa, lava piranha, hooktail who have plenty of compelling back story and a lot of personality aside from "im evil and i need to guard this mcguffin"?
maybe pm64's bosses could do with a bit more backstory and personality and i guess the smorgs could have been better too but hooktail was actually good with eating koopleys father and being like a scary dragon who'd terrorise the village, sure maybe it's cliche in the big wide world of story but i want plots like this in paper mario, and there's even the history thing that the three dragons were created by the shadow queen and you eventually find gloomtail who revealed hooktail was his sister. i want bosses like that in paper mario

hooktail has no personality, she's a big scary dragon with an arbitrary weakness to things that start with "cr" and end with "icket", that's literally it

I can finally say with certainty this game looks fun, I was iffy on the battle system but now that I see it in action it looks like it can make for some really interesting battles.

EDIT: Also I'm fine with the arts and crafts bosses, I just wish they had more unique names aside from.... "Tape".

Last edited:
modern paper mario pokes too much fun at itself. it's too self-aware. that's what you do when you're out of ideas. well, maybe not out of ideas, though certainly uninspired because it's trendy.

but people shall praise it becuz lol random funny :3 xd

maybe the older games weren't that intriguing for some, but this sure doesn't seem like a good make-over.

EDIT: Also I'm fine with the arts and crafts bosses, I just wish they had more unique names aside from.... "Tape".

"Tape of Death"

there

I actually would keep that as "tape" because I want to refrain from reaffirming the idea that "things with foreign names and mannerisms" = "bad".

Well part of the charm of the tape boss is because of how straight forward and to the point it is. I think it would lose some of its charm if it had a more unique name, but eh, tape is tape and tape roll is still godly no matter what it calls itself.

Back