Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I mean, he's just entertaining. Even his games make you beat him up as a power-up, so I say that my beating him up is me being in spirit of Wario's existence.

Well, winstein is basing his assumptions off the Mario Awards poll numbers which, while aren't representative at all, is the best data he's gotten. He doesn't want a landslide "victory", and besides, I think those characters had it unfairly anyway, it's not their fault they're not used in main series games.
I don't get why people hate them just because they're not in main series games. Seems like a silly reason to me.

Are they really that hated here to the point you don't want to add them on the poll?
The poll's options are based on the Mario Awards selection, which I thought is fine. I am not sure if both Daisy and Waluigi are that hated, but given the overall results of "Worst Character" award, I am inclined to say that there is an abundance of opinions that considered them the worst. I do agree that disliking a character just because a character is far more active in spin-off games is silly. Plus, their practically high participation in spin-offs would have meant that they are quite well-liked among developers, which is something a good number of main series characters can't brag.

If it's of any consolation to you, Waluigi is also one of the most highly-voted "Favourite Supporting Character", and when Bowser Jr. and Rosalina are promoted to "Major Character", he had practically no challengers for the top spot and seems to win that award.

Thank you for reading.

1592489158669.png

Results:
  1. Yoshi Votes: 6 (37.5%)
  2. Donkey Kong Votes: 4 (25.0%)
  3. Wario Votes: 4 (25.0%)
  4. Toad Votes: 3 (18.8%)
  5. Mario Votes: 2 (12.5%)
  6. Bowser Votes: 2 (12.5%)
  7. Rosalina Votes: 2 (12.5%)
  8. Luigi Votes: 1 (6.3%)
  9. Peach Votes: 1 (6.3%)
  10. Bowser Jr. Votes: 1 (6.3%)

It looks like every character has someone who disliked them, and Yoshi got the worst of it, despite being one of the more well-liked characters.

The next poll will be about Mario Kart vehicle types, which was basically an idea since Mario Kart Wii when it introduced bikes, and later on Mario Kart 8 introduced ATVs. It's a simple poll but this time, there is a chance it will be cut short to make way for another poll, to make up for the fact that I missed an update for a day.

Thank you for reading.

I'm glad Bikes are an option for folks who enjoy them, but drifting has always been a core part of the Mario kart experience for me, and I vastly prefer the way Karts handle. Mario Kart Wii somewhat soured me on bikes when it introduced them, considering the overwhelming advantages it gave them that left Karts behind and made it untenable to use them for anything but casual races. I admit, I still hold that against bikes...

ATVs are neat, but for me, the top pick is going to always be the old reliable Kart.

I might go kart, although I'd have to understand what the difference is between the two bikes, although I had a bad experience recently when I attempted MKW after a couple years. I used a bike, and when I tried to drift, it basically turned instantly. I used to love them, but maybe I never understood the difference.

Ok sgow I get it bikes are good but I like my karts better ok?

I'm just like that.

I might go kart, although I'd have to understand what the difference is between the two bikes, although I had a bad experience recently when I attempted MKW after a couple years. I used a bike, and when I tried to drift, it basically turned instantly. I used to love them, but maybe I never understood the difference.
That is what was called inward drifting bike (now inside drifting, but both terms are incorrect, since they don't drift to begin with). In theory, they wanted bikes that lean instead of drifting when you hold the drift button, in practice they coded them in a way that as soon as they land, they make a quick sharp turn (which is what gave them the fan name), the other bikes are meant to drift and, oddly, as soon as they land they slide toward the outside of the turn (hence outward/outside drifting bikes).

In Mario Kart 8 both these odd behaviors were corrected, since sport bikes (the actual name of the inward drifting bikes) now start turning during a "drift" only when they lean, while standard bikes (the actual name of the outward drifting bikes) don't slide as much at the beginning of the drift.

Ok sgow I get it bikes are good but I like my karts better ok?

I'm just like that.
no koops, karts can't perform wheelies and I will not allow you to have this incorrect opinion

Even outside of Mario Kart Wii (where they were admittedly poorly implemented from a balancing perspective, but I have the amazing comeback to that of "it doesn't matter"), I prefer Inside Drifting Bikes. Their small hitbox and tight turning really give the feel that I'm taking the tightest turn on the track. For example, take the racing strips on the side of some of the tracks, the ones with striped lines. On a kart you would never be able to fit into just that section of the turn, and stay in it, while on a Bike your vehicle can stay in just that part of the turn, and it's small enough to only be in that section of the turn. You have to balance making the drift tighter to stay on the inside, and making it wider to make sure you don't hit the wall, go off-road, or fall off the track, but that's also part of the fun, having to balance your drift so you can stay on the inside and the tightest and fastest turn possible.

Wheelies also add a fair bit. They give you something to do on a straight, giving you an in of speed, while also making you have to be more aware of other players and your positioning, as if you get bumped you'll lose a lot of speed, and you turn slowly during a wheelie, meaning that you can't just use a wheelie and not worry about what's going on nearby.

Don't get the point of ATVs, they're not different from Karts outside of aesthetics, and they could've easily been implemented without having to consider them a different vehicle when they clearly weren't.

I don't care about gameplay, I care about looking awesome, and I have a stronger preference for cars than I do bikes, so yeah.

BIKE GANG
Sugarscoot-Mario.png

I also like a lot how inward drift bikes handle but my favorite of the bikes is the humble scooter, including the City Tripper from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Mario Kart 8 has a disappointing line up of inward bikes compared to Wii.

I also prefer the stunts for the bikes than the karts

I don't really care too much about bikes and ATVs. The series is called Mario Kart, after all, and I think that's where the focus should be. I also think that the karts look cooler.

So far it's thus unpopular of an opinion, because as of now, I am the only one who voted ATVs (in addition to Karts). It's true that ATVs are functionally similar to Karts, but I really liked how they generally look and control, and there are some cool vehicles like the Wild Wiggler (which I usually use with Waluigi, which I liked for it association with a certain Twitter post) and the Splatoon ones. I believe Dry Bowser's vehicle is also an ATV.

Thank you for reading.

ATVs are cool too, but there's very little of them, that's why it's hard to pick them.

The ATV lineup is also pretty disappointing, but I prefer them over karts too, because they're more like bikes. :>

1592837000455.png

And so the results are in!
  1. Karts Votes: 12 (80.0%)
  2. Inside drifting Bikes Votes: 3 (20.0%)
  3. ATV (All-Terrain Vehicles) Votes: 2 (13.3%)
  4. Outside drifting Bikes Votes: 1 (6.7%)

The community has a clear preference to karts in a Mario Kart game, which is thanks partly to how the game is titled, and in fact, a majority of vehicles are karts. Bikes were introduced later but it's clearly not always a favourite since it's a different beast to control, although the inside-drifting bikes are more popular. ATVs are even newer but there is a clear lack of interest, and it would probably take a greater amount of them to convince more to like them.

The next poll is about the opinion on Mario rescuing Luigi, which is inspired by how there is hardly a known game where this happened, yet the inverse has a more well-known example, it being the Luigi's Mansion series. The closest there is to this plot is Mario's Tennis Aces, even if it's not as traditional as Mario rescuing Peach due to a lack of a kidnapper, and that the end game isn't Luigi being rescued (but fighting a powerful Bowser after Luigi recovered). And to be clear, it's Mario rescuing Luigi as himself, not Luigi dressed as Peach. This is kind of new territory for me regarding the polls because it's asking about something that did not exist but instead, comes from a place of interest. We'll see if the poll gets up in time.

Thank you for reading.

i like it. and yes i can think of multiple times:
- super mario galaxy 1, ghostly galaxy
- super mario 3d world, s1-castle
- super paper mario, in the underwhere and later freeing him by defeating dimentio
- bowser's inside story, mario freed luigi from this thing that had captured luigi inside bowser in the early part of the game
- in partners in time the other day mario as a baby helped free adult luigi from the claw in the factory

i like it. and yes i can think of multiple times:
- super mario galaxy 1, ghostly galaxy
- super mario 3d world, s1-castle
- super paper mario, in the underwhere and later freeing him by defeating dimentio
- bowser's inside story, mario freed luigi from this thing that had captured luigi inside bowser in the early part of the game
- in partners in time the other day mario as a baby helped free adult luigi from the claw in the factory
I am more so referring to the plot of a whole game, rather than a single chapter, world or level. This is similar to how in a lot of games, Mario rescues Peach as the main plot, in which the game is only completed after that is done. In most examples, it's a mini-plot. I suppose the Super Paper Mario one is somewhat close to what I mean, even if not as close as Mario Tennis Aces. The poll isn't up, but one of the options is if one preferred that it's done on a single chapter/world/level basis.

Thank you for reading.

Back