Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
idk exactly what your question is but myself i really don't like it when mario games just have very simple, recycled plots. even super mario land at least had an original princess, who became pretty famous, and an original villain, who remained fairly obscure for a main series Mario character. i get that some games aren't meant to have complex plots, and it's not necessary for games to be good (i for one am a massive fan of the super mario maker series, super mario galaxy 2, and minecraft), but it still feels dissappointing when it's just bowser kidnapping peach again rather than something more orignal.
These would be the choices I requested a mod to put out (if any Mod read this post, please regenerate the poll):

Poll question: What is your opinion on the tradition of the Bowser kidnapping Peach plot?
Choices:
(1) I love this tradition!
(2) I like the "Peach being kidnapped" part, but not from Bowser.
(3) I like the Bowser villainy part, but not the "Peach being kidnapped" part.
(4) I prefer a twist even if it played straight initially.
(5) I prefer if this is happened later, after a different beginning.
(6) It got tiresome. A change of pace is needed.
Expiry: 3 days
Note: Single-choiced poll

Thank you for reading.

These would be the choices I requested a mod to put out (if any Mod read this post, please regenerate the poll):

Poll question: What is your opinion on the tradition of the Bowser kidnapping Peach plot?
Choices:
(1) I love this tradition!
(2) I like the "Peach being kidnapped" part, but not from Bowser.
(3) I like the Bowser villainy part, but not the "Peach being kidnapped" part.
(4) I prefer a twist even if it played straight initially.
(5) I prefer if this is happened later, after a different beginning.
(6) It got tiresome. A change of pace is needed.
Expiry: 3 days
Note: Single-choiced poll

Thank you for reading.
without a doubt, my vote goes to option 6

I'll abstain from voting then, as I feel none of the options accurately sum up my opinion. I personally don't care about it. While I don't think a Mario game would feel very 'Mario' without it, I don't feel a strong enough like or dislike towards it.

I'm indifferent to it honestly. Bowser can kidnap Peach ten million times and I'll still be playing a game that entails top-tier platforming most of the time. It really doesn't matter. They've been doing this for over 30 years now and I see no reason to change that. I guess you could make exceptions from time to time but I'd rather that the Peach kidnappings remain the norm. But even if it isn't I wouldn't be fazed either way. This is still the Mario series we're talking about, and the series' focus is pretty much 95% the gameplay, so you know my stance.

I'll abstain from voting then, as I feel none of the options accurately sum up my opinion. I personally don't care about it. While I don't think a Mario game would feel very 'Mario' without it, I don't feel a strong enough like or dislike towards it.

many polls don't include the option to not have an opinion on something and personally that annoys me.

Good point. I will request to add a seventh option for your choice, then. After all, it's not concrete yet.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Added the option myself, since I can still add poll options.

Well, for platformers, so long as they introduce a new, really neat power-up, I don't care about the story much. I do like in Odyssey, they gave a legitimate reason for kidnapping, and in 3D World, she finally caught a break. I'm like, "Come on, Peach! How can you whoop Bowser and the minions in Mario Kart and Smash, and still get kidnapped in the next Mario game?"

Could you please convert it to a single choice poll? I can't seem to change it.

Thank you for reading.
i've been trying, it's not changing for me either

apparently you can't change unlimited options to number options unless you delete the poll entirely and recreate it

i've been trying, it's not changing for me either

apparently you can't change unlimited options to number options unless you delete the poll entirely and recreate it
Ah... that's unfortunate. If that is the case, maybe I should put the type of poll at the forefront, so that you won't miss it next time.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: I see the poll is reset. If that's the case, better to delete and then put it back up again. After that's done, I will change the title.

Don't like plots that disproportionately leverage a woman as a device to just establish how villanous or heroic others are. They need to stop kidnapping Peach even if it is "tradition" unless they can give Peach some agency.

I like Bowser kidnapping Peach but a twist every once in a while is cool.

Don't like plots that disproportionately leverage a woman as a device to just establish how villanous or heroic others are. They need to stop kidnapping Peach even if it is "tradition" unless they can give Peach some agency.

That's not what I think of when Peach gets kidnapped lol. Not even as a kid. I also don't think that's exactly their intention lol.

I think the plot can stick around because it kinda wouldn't feel the same without it. However, adding twists is helpful to change things up a bit and prevent it from feeling mundane. Mario Sunshine did this rather nicely, and most of the 3D Mario games have done a pretty good job at adding some other story elements to help it feel unique. Still, a completely unique plot from time to time wouldn't hurt. So I'll vote for option 4.

That's not what I think of when Peach gets kidnapped lol. Not even as a kid. I also don't think that's exactly their intention lol.
it's probably not but just imagine in video games the person that keeps getting held hostage is a fat italian plumber and you see this like in so many games and movies from dark and gritty dystopia to fantasy jrpgs and italians are culturally depicted as not too strong

I wouldn't mind either if someone made that idk. I think you're overthinking it a little. It's just some princess getting kidnapped by some turtle ox dragon thing in a game for all ages dammit not just 5 year olds the creators have said this kids. You can play and beat some games as her too. She's a lot more generic than Mario in design so maybe that's why she doesn't stand out as much. I like to think Rosalina is more of the strong lady in the series, if you want that sort of character.

Oh wait Peach also had her own game where she saved Mario beat Bowser on her own and no one cared about it.

Well I'm not picking on one game, I'm just saying the trope as a whole is generally not good when it's implemented and Mario just has it and even jokes about it. Is it in of itself harmless? Yeah. But can it be better? Definitely.

1589988714433.png

The latest results are in, and based on popularity, these are the opinions on which people thought about Bowser's constant kidnapping of Peach:
  1. I prefer a twist even if it played straight initially. Votes: 6 (26.1%)
  2. It got tiresome. A change of pace is needed. Votes: 6 (26.1%)
  3. I have no opinion. Votes: 5 (21.7%)
  4. I like the Bowser villainy part, but not the "Peach being kidnapped" part. Votes: 4 (17.4%)
  5. I love this tradition! Votes: 1 (4.3%)
  6. I like the "Peach being kidnapped" part, but not from Bowser. Votes: 1 (4.3%)
  7. I prefer if this is happened later, after a different beginning. Votes: 0 (0.0%)

Clearly, the majority of Mario fans aren't fond of the tradition being continued, and indeed something new is preferred. Some prefer that a twist is played out, such as how Super Mario RPG did this, while others would prefer an entirely different plot. Given how frequent Bowser kidnapped Peach, there are also some who are quite accustomed to it as to not see the issue either way, while others just love the idea of Bowser being the villain even if Peach isn't involved. Clearly, those who love this tradition is not popular, as with those who like that Peach is the damsel in distress.

Regrettably, I have put in a poll option that is never picked. The thinking behind this option is something like Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, where the plot of Peach being kidnapped by Bowser is not present until the final act (even if in that game, it's not technically Bowser). I suppose I should have merged both "twist" options because they are similar.

Next poll will be Super Mario Bros. 2 related, and it's the USA one, not the original one. Let's wait for a mod changes the options, since I have already posted it.

Thank you for reading.

mario 2... i've finished like the first 6 levels so i'm nowhere near done (mainly just because the mario maker series TRUMPS any other 2d mario game so i don't got much of a motivation to play this game when i could be playing that instead)

i think it's actually kinda cool and i appreciate its creativity, but just i feel the whole thing could have been implemented better. particularly, i don't like the screen scrolling being non-smooth, and the levels are a bit too long and hard for my liking

and with the hitpoint system repeatedly going into jars to recover just meh didn't feel that fun.

and the phanto key thing was really annoying

and the sand digging levels were also pretty tedious, although i do appreciate having to use actual thought to avoid the shy guys

so yeah, i liked its mechanics and maybe would be ok to see it again but honestly the way it felt in smb2 just wasn't as fun as nsmbw, nsmbds, or sml2

I voted the last option. I love when they shake up the gameplay of a series, as long as it maintains the spirit. Mario USA does not. Most of my bias against it stems from its name: it is not Mario 2 and I refuse to call it that. The game is a lie, and fully deserved to be considered the black sheep back then. The game itself isn't even that fun to play; the physics are easily the worst of any retro Mario game, and because of it jumping onto an enemy and staying there is incredibly frustrating. The whole thing just isn't as satisfying as the classic 2D formula.

Had they not branded this game as "Super Mario Bros. 2", I might have given this game a more fair analysis. Even as a Mario game, I'd be okay if they called it something like "Super Mario: Dream Adventure". But not while this game is going around and posing as Mario 2. As brutal as the real Mario 2 is, it's better than this game will ever be.

Back