Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted Tennis, Baseball, and Sports Mix/Superstars.

I voted for freaking all of them except the Olympics, I am such a sucker for Mario Sports games, lal. The main reason I haven't picked the Olympics is that I really wish you can choose your opponents in them, I dislike the randomized crap, and it's been a stagnant franchise anyway.

I really wish there was another DDR-like Mario game, I would play the hell out of that.

Tennis definitely, it has the most character to character interaction imo (gameplay wise not cutscenes).
The baseball game was cute though, a very close runner up if not tied.

I too would love a Mario DDR sequel.

1590934833673.png

The results are in!

1. Tennis Votes: 12 (66.7%)
  2. Golf Votes: 7 (38.9%)
  3. Olympics Votes: 6 (33.3%)
  4. Baseball Votes: 5 (27.8%)
  5. Others (found in Sports Mix or Sports Superstars) Votes: 4 (22.2%)
  6. Football/Soccer (Strikers) Votes: 2 (11.1%)
  7. Basketball Votes: 2 (11.1%)
  8. Dancing (DDR) Votes: 2 (11.1%)

From the results, we can tell that Mario Tennis is the series that is the most favourite of the community, and it's easy to tell why Nintendo prioritised Mario Tennis as the choice of sports. Its gameplay is easier to learn, after all, since it's basically hitting the ball, but the Mario Tennis games tend to be less punishing compared to many Tennis games since it's not easy to hit the ball outside the court most of the time. Mario Golf is not far behind, since it's has quality games under its belt, although it's a bit difficult to learn due to the amount of terrain the player needs to keep track of. The Olympic games has a surprising lead, which is probably because of how many there are, and probably because of how many sports are found in the package and the fact that the Sonic characters are crossed over with. Other sport games aren't as popular, but they nonetheless have their fans, therefore none of the Mario Sports games aren't exactly unwanted after all.

The next poll will be about Mario power-ups in the 2D games, which covers the first Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, the two Super Mario Land games and the four New Super Mario Bros. games. These are the regular power-ups, so any of the temporary ones are omitted because they work differently, and some are even more powerful than the regular power-ups.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Thank you for the timely poll change, @Tressa Colzione!

i voted:

fire - the classic and simple what can i say
racoon - i actually think this is really intuitive and cool and unlike the cape just feels a lot more intuitiive and less broken and all that
bunny - floating around in super mario land 2 was pretty fun
mini - i love how much this changes platforming even if it has the downside of dying in one hit
blue shell - oh the days of just spinning around and trying to hit stuff and even trying to just beat levels this way
propeller - again nostalgia, it was really cool once this showed up when i played nsmbw
ice - seemed like a cool counterpart to the fire flower and works interestingly
penguin - awesome, it combines the ice flower, it has better swimming (a huge plus in the beach world, also i didn't know about SMB3 or the frog suit back then so it was a novelty to me), and it lets you slide kinda like the blue shell but you need an icy surface to keep going.

Voted for the Blue Shell and the Propeller Suit

The Blue Shell is whole lot fun to use, omg, love using it in the game as well as in Mario vs Luigi, I love spinning around in it.

The Propeller Suit as a kickass helicopter design that I like, and it's a nice and balanced flying power-up that I enjoyed using.

UuMtELg.png

cape is just pretty fun to fly with AND you can descend slower like in rayman games which. you know me of course i would like that! (raccoon/tanooki mario can do that too but you gotta mash the jump button for it which isnt ideal. instead of just holding it)

I've said this a lot on the forums but
The cape is my favorite powerup. It's the most dynamic versatile (2nd to FLUDD). Not only can you 360 whip it around but you can also master flying with it through well timed air bouncing, and dive bomb with it or glide if so choose.

Reactions: zel
SMW may not be better than SMB3, but the cape is brilliant. The Tanooki suit is still so great though.

But, there's nothing more satisfying than drilling through enemies and blocks with the Propeller Suit.

The penguin. It's that combination of stupid and adorable I like to see from Mario. I also think it's what the chicken suit used to be. I enjoyed seeing the penguin suit reappear in Puzzle & Dragons and it reappear as an alt in Mario Kart Tour which gave someone attention to port that to Mario Kart 8.

I couldn't decide so I just picked all of them.

Voted fire, cape, shell, propeller, and penguin.

But unfortunately my absolute favorite 2D Mario power-up, the Mega Mushroom, is not here. :(
I wanted to include Mega in the list, but the problem is that if I do that, I have to include a few others as well, like Gold, Invincible and a few of the unlimited flight ones (which would clutter the list even more, I felt). To simplify the list, only those that can be kept between levels are used.

Thank you for reading.

My answer tends to change, (almost all of them are great) but for now, I think I like the Hammer Suit the most (with the Tanooki and Blue Shell being close seconds). Gotta love being able to kill basically anything in the game. Nintendo power, bitch.

When we get to the 3D power ups though... that's where my true interest lies.

I chose Fire and Tanuki, because the Fire Flower is my favorite projectile power-up, and the Super Leaf is my favorite flying power-up.

1591204663678.png

Results:
  1. Propeller Votes: 10 52.6%
  2. Tanuki Votes: 9 47.4%
  3. Cape Votes: 9 47.4%
  4. Shell Votes: 9 47.4%
  5. Penguin Votes: 9 47.4%
  6. Flying Squirrel Votes: 8 42.1%
  7. Fire Votes: 7 36.8%
  8. Raccoon Votes: 5 26.3%
  9. Hammer (Hammer Bros. style) Votes: 4 21.1%
  10. Mini Votes: 4 21.1%
  11. Ice Votes: 4 21.1%
  12. Bunny Votes: 3 15.8%
  13. Frog Votes: 2 10.5%
  14. Superball Votes: 1 5.3%

The results are in! Flying power-ups tend to be more popular, as Propeller and Tanooki are there. In fact, the more popular power-ups are mobility-based, although on that front, Bunny and Frog lost out, probably because Bunny is not as popular and Frog has hindered mobility. Fire didn't do so bad given that it's pretty basic save for gaining a new weapon (throwing fire), while Ice lost out likely because Penguin is far superior to it. Superball is only voted once, likely for being in a less popular Mario platformer and for being less intuitive in how it worked, since it's not good for forward attacking.

Next poll will be a simple one, which is basically what you consider the status of the current Donkey Kong. Basically Donkey Kong had a redesign for Donkey Kong Country, but the twist is that he's not the same Kong as the 1981 incarnation, justifying the redesign. Although Donkey Kong is usually considered the grandson of the original Donkey Kong, some folks, including some folks at Rare. Here's your chance to say what you think is Donkey Kong's position in the family.

Thank you for reading.

well i think at some point we confirm that donkey kong and mario were babies at the same time, so if we took the average lifespan and ageing of a gorilla we could work it out maybe?

the poll isnt up yet but either way i kinda headcanon dk jr and the current donkey kong are one and the same instead of one being anothers dad. so cranky is Not donkey kongs grandpa but he can still act like one just by being old. and jokingly be called a grandpa anyway

the poll isnt up yet but either way i kinda headcanon dk jr and the current donkey kong are one and the same instead of one being anothers dad. so cranky is Not donkey kongs grandpa but he can still act like one just by being old. and jokingly be called a grandpa anyway
The poll was up a while ago, so now's your chance to vote.

Thank you for reading.

Reactions: zel
I also dislike the idea of DK Jr. being the father of modern DK. He seems like an extraneous link between Cranky and DK that can very well be removed as a separate entity without retconning any significant lore since there is none to begin with. In my headcanon, DK Jr. is DK all grown-up, and that's that.

Last edited:
I personally like it being his missing father. I find it hilarious to think of what could've killed him.

I'd love it if in a future DK movie Cranky made allusions to a DK JR during a dramatic conversation with his grandson, implying he was shot in cold blood.

I guess that current Donkey Kong is the son of Donkey Kong Jr., at least that's what I've heard. What I'm wondering is, what about Donkey Kong Jr. in Mario Tennis 64? Is he the same DKJr. as in the original, or is he a "current" version?

Cranky is current DK's father as far as I'm concerned, there being a third one inbetween is just pointless.

As far as I'm concerned

Back