Super Mario Maker 2

winstein said:
You know, based on how LeftyGreenMario and BabyLuigiOnFire have their grievances with this game's existence (and its predecessor), in which it's a game revolving around a robust level editor when a fan-made version is available for free (LunarMagic is an example), I wonder if this is a common sentiment among people who have a history of modding or designing levels like those who regularly use LunarMagic.

I can understand why people who edit Mario levels would dislike Super Mario Maker's existence, since they already got what they wanted without needing Nintendo's output, and even then when Nintendo adds something in their game, the fans would update their program to basically one-up whatever official additions there are. I know that I am putting a lot of expectations on fan-made level editors, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is what they would do.

I can definitely confirm that during my brief period of time at rvlution.net, much of the devs involved with the development of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii and Reggie certainly sneer at Super Mario Maker frequently and enjoy taking pot shots at it. One of them even called it "Wuper Wario Wanker" (which LGM and I adopted it as a nickname). While concerns about competition were there as well as ease of us, the devs often cited so much interesting and complex things you couldn't do with Wario Wanker, such as the trigger events.

I don't necessarily "hate" Wuper Wario Waker's existence, nor modders necessarily do, it's just that it's fun to make fun of it, maybe with a lot of elitist undertones, admittedly. You know what modders would actually do with Wuper Wario Wanker instead? Mod the living fuck out of that title too. That's inevitably going to happen to Wuper Wario Wanker 2 and I actually can't wait to see it happen, to see what is possible and to push further the limits of the game.

Since there are mods for Super Mario Maker like playable Luigi, theme mods, mods that change complete tilesets to things like Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario Land, Green Hill Zone I am definitely more interested in how the modding scene developers for this game. But you know, you won't be able to share Super Mario Maker 2 mods because Nintendo thinks you're a criminal and will ban you from online services, so tougher shit when Nintendo decides to tie level sharing with being online in the first place.

Ah, I see: so it's a mixture of dissatisfaction in regards to Nintendo's protective stance on their IP, and pride in which fans compared favourably towards themselves on what they already achieved to what has been made in the game.

Thank you for reading.

I hype for everything in this game, I honestly don't know if I can ever go back to the original SMM after this.

It's lookin' pretty good so far, though it's a bummer that we may be unable to use the other characters outside of online multiplayer and that there doesn't seem to be single-Switch local multiplayer. I like how far they've gone in recreating SM3DW in 2D form with all the different enemies and objects, and I certainly don't blame them for restricting those elements to that game style. It makes me wonder whether we could be getting an SMB2 style, though that would also involve changing actual gameplay mechanics.

So...

What if too much stuff is behind online...

The real question is will the offline stuff be worth it enough for me to actually buy this thing?

But other than that the game looks neat.

Koops said:
So...

What if too much stuff is behind online...

The real question is will the offline stuff be worth it enough for me to actually buy this thing?

But other than that the game looks neat.

I somehow had fun with the OG Mario Maker even though our Wii U basically never connected to the Internet. Since this one has an offline "Story" mode AND more stuff for the editor...yeah, it'll be great fun offline.

Ray Trace said:
it's just that it's fun to make fun of it, maybe with a lot of elitist undertones, admittedly.

Yeah and what they do is still inferior to making actual games themselves so you'll excuse me if I don't take their sneering very seriously.

I'm really not fan of certain features being locked behind level themes, such as water or poison being locked to the forest theme, but what annoys me more is that the night style of each theme has a stupid gimmick tied to it that will end up making me not want to use it, which is a shame because the option to make levels take place at night was one of my most wanted features.

Based on a GameXplain video that I recently saw, it appears that the maximum length for a course area is exactly the same as in the first Super Mario Maker. Therefore, there are still limits on how much contents you can implement onto a course.

Mcmadness said:
Ray Trace said:
it's just that it's fun to make fun of it, maybe with a lot of elitist undertones, admittedly.

Yeah and what they do is still inferior to making actual games themselves so you'll excuse me if I don't take their sneering very seriously.
Pretty sure they can probably make actual games, just that all of em work on a zero budget and make pretty much no money off it

LeftyGreenMario said:
Pretty sure they can probably make actual games, just that all of em work on a zero budget and make pretty much no money off it

Still not an excuse to be snooty.

MnSG said:
Based on a GameXplain video that I recently saw, it appears that the maximum length for a course area is exactly the same as in the first Super Mario Maker. Therefore, there are still limits on how much contents you can implement onto a course.

Well, That sucks.

Dang, I was looking forward to making bigger courses. Ah, well. I guess I'll just have to make a ton to play around with the new mechanics, because they are really cool!

Mcmadness said:
LeftyGreenMario said:

Still not an excuse to be snooty.
MY OPINIONS MATTER MORE THAN YOURS AND IF I GET TO BE SMUG, IT'S BEING SMUG AT A MEGA CORP.

Mcmadness said:
Ray Trace said:

and nintendo's anti-mod attitude is something absolutely worth sneering at

You know what I haven't seen yet that I wish I had seen?

Pokeys.

You can't have a desert theme without these majestic creatures. Where they at Nintendo?

i was hoping we get costumes but im ok if we dont get any. disappointing but ill take it since the rest of the gmae looks so great .
im suspecting therell be some more info revealed at e3, just a tiny bit, like a new theme.......

i strongly doubt there will be a new theme revealed at e3, that would be like the first thing they would reveal regardless

The decision to opt in "Boo!" (aka the "dislike" button) is a mistake. It's way more prone to getting abused than the like function (challenging levels for instance), and it's probably not going to counteract troll levels or autoplay levels that'll get likes anyway. I don't have faith in the playerbase to give good-faith ratings unless they actually leave some well-thought out comment.

Striker Luigi said:
Well, That sucks.

At least for an up side, based on the revealed footage, it's now possible to block portions of an area from being visible, which equals less wasted space when making a course.

Back