Super Mario Maker 2

Yeah, believe it or not...

That is the thing I am looking forward to the most.

Yes.

LeftyGreenMario said:
From what I can tell, multiplayer is online only or requires multiple Switches to use. It's pretty lame.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/baaqa/products/soft.html

and there's this

handheld mode is single player, for obvious reasons, but the other parts of the table do show 1-4 players, so is there local co-op play in this? it's not made clear.

YoshiGo99 said:
Can we discuss how weird the Angry Sun looks in the NSMBU style?
SMM2_NSMBU_Angry_Sun.png

He isn't weird, he's just severely depressed and lost in life. He was, at least.

By NSMBU, the Angry Sun realized that the constant anger he indulged in all these years has turned into an unhealthy obsession that sucked all of his energy and joy out. Having no purpose in life other than to be angry, he entered a loop of apathy and depression that eventually plunged him into suicide. That's why he isn't present in the SM3DW style.

He still remembers the words swirling around his head like a whacked out solar storm.

"Sorry, the sun was in my eyes!"

"I WAS NOT!!!"

AngrySun.jpg

But the reason he disappeared wasn't that he died, it's just that he decided to hide behind an invisible cloud, still searching for the two pesky plumbers.

Actually, remember when, in the same episode, Mario said "That sun is not too bright"? The Angry Sun heard that, but decided not to go after the plumbers because he was hurt. That's exactly the moment his whole world collapsed and realized his condition.

For those who have seen those super expert Super Mario Maker courses (such as the ones that YouTube user, ryukahr, has played), you do have to wonder what kind of monstrosities will be made in Super Mario Maker 2.

you will tell from the amount of "BOO!!!" they receive

MnSG said:
For those who have seen those super expert Super Mario Maker courses (such as the ones that YouTube user, ryukahr, has played), you do have to wonder what kind of monstrosities will be made in Super Mario Maker 2.
I've never been able to get to Super Expert because the normal Expert is already pure torture.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
I've never been able to get to Super Expert because the normal Expert is already pure torture.

Pretty ironic, since I have done a good amount of Expert playthroughs without losing too many lives. Of course, I have skipped courses that appeared to be too frustrating to deal with.

Anyway, trust me when I say that Super Expert is far worse than Expert.

At this point I finish more Expert runs than not, but that's with skips.

I tried Super Expert once and kid you not, lost all 100 of my lives on level 1 of 6, skipping graciously. The only levels I made much progress in ended up being so long and sparse with checkpoints that I skipped out of frustration after a while. The rest were kaizo, troll, or super-precision. The level that took my final life was a 10 sec that looked like this. Fuck that.

This is how Expert runs typically go for me:

-skip if it's just a cheap troll level at first glance
-if i go a little ways in the course, I tell myself i'll skip in a few tries, but i don't end up skipping until about 30 tries in

Yeah, I have a bad case of irresistible fierce determination that ultimately becomes my downfall in 100 Mario.

Now you can fight back with :boo: I guess.

im glad nintendo remembers to return a universally hated mode

I dunno I'm not feeling the Boo feature. I feel like it'll just get abused. Oh you couldn't beat a level? Boo! Oh it's a Kaizo level and I'm not its target audience? Boo! Oh it's a troll level that admittedly should be filtered out of 100 man? Boo, let's get it deleted completely so even the folks that like playing troll levels can't. Acknowledging community categories like troll and kaizo in the level tags would have worked so much better, so users can tag their levels and filter them out of 100 man, or better yet any player that will run 100 man can choose what types of levels they don't want to see. That would allow players to avoid levels they don't care for without spreading negativity.

Also if a level is just ugly to look at with no clear direction, chances are it was designed by a beaming 5 year old that's eager to show everyone he knows his first Mario level. Imagine that 5 year old going on and finding "Your level has been removed because it received too many "Boos."

The only way I could see this working is if the Boo button was entirely personal and not public, and only contributes to what levels you get shown.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Ray Trace said:
Hopefully this time they won't return that dumb mechanic where you have to beat the highest difficulty of said hated mode six times in order to 100% the game.

The lack of a Mystery Mushroom could be a good sign that we don't have to mess around with unlocking aesthetic costumes. Of course, it would stink if you have to play it to unlock all the Course Editor features.

MnSG said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Ray Trace said:
Hopefully this time they won't return that dumb mechanic where you have to beat the highest difficulty of said hated mode six times in order to 100% the game.

The lack of a Mystery Mushroom could be a good sign that we don't have to mess around with unlocking aesthetic costumes. Of course, it would stink if you have to play it to unlock all the Course Editor features.

It seems as though we are in a stalemate.

Yeah, they'll probably find something to lock behind 100 Mario. But there's at least a sliver of hope in the fact that the 3DS port of the first game had 100 Mario with no content locked behind it...but that port was so lazy that they probably won't replicate that.

Have we ever seen NSMBU's Angry Sun in action? I have a feeling that its expression changes based on if it's actively chasing the player, similar to how Thwomp changes expression in SMW and NSMBU depending on if it's active.

Thank you for reading.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Yeah, they'll probably find something to lock behind 100 Mario. But there's at least a sliver of hope in the fact that the 3DS port of the first game had 100 Mario with no content locked behind it...but that port was so lazy that they probably won't replicate that.

True, but as far as we know, They might not even have 100 Mario in the sequel.

Striker Luigi said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:

They've already shown something called Endless Challenge, which basically is 100 Mario but with no end.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Striker Luigi said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:

They've already shown something called Endless Challenge, which basically is 100 Mario but with no end.

If there is no end to it, then it technically can't be beaten, which means they can't lock anything behind it.

Striker Luigi said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Striker Luigi said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:

If there is no end to it, then it technically can't be beaten, which means they can't lock anything behind it.
Might have content locked behind getting a certain score.

Back