Super Mario Maker 2

So, uh, why did the Super Famicom logo appear when Mario got in that car?

Mcmadness said:
Bye Guy said:
You're maintaining the argument that it's cheap and they give you free games for it. You're exactly the consumer they want to have.

A cheap service that gives me access to online functionality for an entire year and games on top of it. If you have an actual counterpoint to make then please do so, otherwise you're just summing up what I said.

Locking online behind a paywall because you get games for it is a *bleep* practice. What if you aren't interested in any of those games and just want the online? Would it be too much to ask to say, give consumers an option to get the online free like previous console generations, just without the free games? That seems like a win-win to me. Instead, my broke ass can't afford something he could pay for all years and all console generations prior.

Mcmadness said:
Bye Guy said:
You're maintaining the argument that it's cheap and they give you free games for it. You're exactly the consumer they want to have.

A cheap service that gives me access to online functionality for an entire year and games on top of it. If you have an actual counterpoint to make then please do so, otherwise you're just summing up what I said.

Alright then. Enjoy paying money for something you had for free and in the exact same condition for years.

*meme of man rejecting nintendo switch online and same man approving of modded nintendo switch with emulated games*

Bye Guy said:
Alright then. Enjoy paying money for something you had for free and in the exact same condition for years.

Yeah I remember when the wii and DS had proper account systems.

Oh wait..

Candy Heart said:
Hey, guys, can you move this to the Switch topic itself? Some people want to discus the game itself you know.

You need a Nintendo Switch™ Online membership to discuss about Super Mario™ Maker 2.

Candy Heart said:
Hey, guys, can you move this to the Switch topic itself? Some people want to discus the game itself you know.
Game itself confirmed to have a feature that requires controversial Nintendo Switch Online service; I find that to be a valid subject pertaining to Super Mario Maker 2, but if you want to change topic, sure.

MetaWeegee said:
Locking online behind a paywall because you get games for it is a *bleep* practice. What if you aren't interested in any of those games and just want the online? Would it be too much to ask to say, give consumers an option to get the online free like previous console generations, just without the free games? That seems like a win-win to me. Instead, my broke ass can't afford something he could pay for all years and all console generations prior.

Now see that is a valid complaint. There definitely should be options for people not interested in such things.

I don't expect the story mode to be too in depth, I mean, the biggest story mode for a game about creating levels was Little Big Planet and even that was kinda basic, but hey if we get a few fun lines out of it and some neat models, I don't mind

I'd imagine the story mode is just a bunch of incoherent pre-set levels being just a tutorial vehicle for the level making part (I guess Little Big Planet was like that? But at least it had collectibles you can grab throughout those levels). There really should be World Maps for these kinds of games, but guess not.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I'd imagine the story mode is just a bunch of incoherent pre-set levels being just a tutorial vehicle for the level making part (I guess Little Big Planet was like that? But at least it had collectibles you can grab throughout those levels). There really should be World Maps for these kinds of games, but guess not.

Well your goal is to use the coins you find in the levels to rebuild peach's castle so I'd imagine there is a combination of both here.

playable toadette is freaking weed man

Ray Trace said:
playable toadette is freaking weed man
Smoke coins everyday
All right, here's my last few bits
The Mii thing seems to be the remains of Miitomo
I imagine if Mystery Mushrooms aren't in, it was sacrifice for multiplayer or no 100 Mario courses
Toadette is so buff in SMB1

nah don't worry it's used in the similar fashion as "dope"

You know, based on how LeftyGreenMario and BabyLuigiOnFire have their grievances with this game's existence (and its predecessor), in which it's a game revolving around a robust level editor when a fan-made version is available for free (LunarMagic is an example), I wonder if this is a common sentiment among people who have a history of modding or designing levels like those who regularly use LunarMagic.

I can understand why people who edit Mario levels would dislike Super Mario Maker's existence, since they already got what they wanted without needing Nintendo's output, and even then when Nintendo adds something in their game, the fans would update their program to basically one-up whatever official additions there are. I know that I am putting a lot of expectations on fan-made level editors, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is what they would do.

---

Now regarding this game, 3D World looks like it has its own set of tools that isn't available, like Clear Pipes and crates, and I think like the car the best. It's interesting that the slot is empty next to Super Mario 3D World, like as if there will be a new game mode. I like to think that 3D World getting a different type of toolset makes the Super Mario Bros. 2 set a lot more realistic even though it deviate even more from 3D World.

(Correct me if I am wrong here) I think it's quite disappointing that Course World is only accessible through Nintendo Switch Online, which is in my opinion a step down from not only Super Mario Maker 1, but also Super Mario Odyssey (which has a sharing feature in Luigi's Balloon World, but doesn't require NSO). The features are pretty good though, namely the fact that you can actually play co-op with other people online this time, and the Mario Maker random levels are endless this time. It's also a nice touch to add a single-player campaign which is a very good addition in the 3DS version of Super Mario Maker despite it being a much more limited game compared to the Wii U version otherwise.

Thank you for reading.

Swiftie_Luma said:
we still have garbage characters to play as

what a surprise, thank god my expectations were low.

To be fair, all characters have to be treated equally in the attribute department, or else there could end up being unfair advantages in a competitive multiplayer course.

Also in regards to romhacking vs. Super Mario Maker, it's possible to enjoy both, a lot of the SMM YouTubers also play romhacks, like Ryukahr. Personally I'm content with SMM, it's made with the average player's ease of use in mind and is robust enough to provide me with a great experience. Plus the playerbase is massive being an A-list retail Nintendo game so lots of potential players for my creations. Part of why I don't like limiting it to Switch Online (the playerbase is now reduced) but a minor complaint. I enjoy watching romhack gameplay on YouTube sometimes though.

winstein said:
You know, based on how LeftyGreenMario and BabyLuigiOnFire have their grievances with this game's existence (and its predecessor), in which it's a game revolving around a robust level editor when a fan-made version is available for free (LunarMagic is an example), I wonder if this is a common sentiment among people who have a history of modding or designing levels like those who regularly use LunarMagic.

I can understand why people who edit Mario levels would dislike Super Mario Maker's existence, since they already got what they wanted without needing Nintendo's output, and even then when Nintendo adds something in their game, the fans would update their program to basically one-up whatever official additions there are. I know that I am putting a lot of expectations on fan-made level editors, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is what they would do.

Thank you for reading.
I'm not sure if "grievance" is the accurate way to describe it. I think there might be some grievance in that people don't realize that way more advanced level editors exist. There may possibly some purists that don't like anything that Nintendo pulls out, which purists probably do exist as I know people who hate mods only because they're unsanctioned and somehow subtract from imagined "Nintendo" quality. I know that most people who've modded their games and played with more advanced level editors do look down a little on Super Mario Maker and don't take it seriously. They do tend to praise the ease of UI, but they note the complete lack of flexibility, and they do agree that once you get really good with advanced level tools, you'll find Super Mario Maker more restrictive. The lack of slopes, world editors, course elements, tile control, advanced events, control over enemy spawns (like Dry Bones turning into Fish Bones) and imposed arbitrary limits like no way to lock the timer or have a block limit in favor of gimmicks like winged and huge everything are a common point of contention by those people, but it also contributes to the scoffs done by modders. On top of it, we know that Nintendo has documented hostility among their fans that do mods and level tools, which Nintendo has a threatening presence of shutting down tools and level demonstration created by the tools (especially during Pangeapanga videos getting removed while Super Mario Maker was nearing release), which not only feeds to the perception that Nintendo is a legal thug, but also contributes to the hostility or sneering toward Super Mario Maker.

Back