Mario Kart Tour

Striker Luigi said:
I'm gonna give some more examples and let's see if they ring a bell.

Hotel Mario.

Mario's Time Machine.

Mario Is Missing.

Do I need to list more?

I didn't mean for you to list more examples of games that are infamous for straying from the high quality Nintendo games are known for, as a justification of how you judge a company for their missteps as though it is what they are best known for.

Instead, what I am requesting is on your explanation on why you think lowly on Hey, Pikmin. That's what I meant since you mentioned that game between two "Cough" words:

Striker Luigi said:
Nintendo is known for doing some dumb stuff. *Cough*Hey Pikmin*Cough*

Thank you for reading.

testers on twitter are exposing this as a gatcha game with microtransactions and great graphics.

its been said that your character gets ''tired'' after racing for a while so in order to keep going you need to pay real money.

That's complete bs.

GG nintendo, hope the beta is a lesson.

And that is why I don't buy mobile games.

Swiftie_Luma said:
testers on twitter are exposing this as a gatcha game with microtransactions and great graphics.

its been said that your character gets ''tired'' after racing for a while so in order to keep going you need to pay real money.

That's complete bs.

This is so stupid!! I'm definitely not getting this game, like why would the Big N do this? It has never been implemented in a Mario Kart game along with a proper story mode which we're never getting!

From some footage I have seen, an interesting thing that I have observed is how there are mission modes, which I wish are also found in the main games since they designed the courses in unique ways, such as how one takes place in Daisy Hills, where you start on a different location and had to glide all the way forward while going above pipes to get an air boost to reach the end.

Thank you for reading.

Swiftie_Luma said:

That's complete bs.

What? No. Please no. Why couldn't it be like Super Mario Run, with the one-time fee and the free demo?

Best case scenario, it uses the Team Kirby Clash Deluxe payment model that sets a hard limit on how much you can pay, and when you reach it, they'll give you pretty much infinite of that paid item. Not likely, though.

It is reported that Super Mario Run, the only game under Nintendo that is a one-time paid game, did not meet expectations, which is likely the reason that other games have a payment model that have a theoretically infinite spending cap (that includes Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and Dragalia Lost). If Mario cannot convince the masses to spend, the mobile environment has reached a point where the race to the bottom is at its peak (free-to-play games have a better chance of success compared to its paid alternatives). So I think that even if Mario Kart is a very treasured brand, it would be unlikely to reach expectations as a paid game.

I do think it's a shame that this happen, because some developers did make an effort to make great games, such as HAL's Part Time UFO.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
It is reported that Super Mario Run, the only game under Nintendo that is a one-time paid game, did not meet expectations, which is likely the reason that other games have a payment model that have a theoretically infinite spending cap (that includes Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and Dragalia Lost). If Mario cannot convince the masses to spend, the mobile environment has reached a point where the race to the bottom is at its peak (free-to-play games have a better chance of success compared to its paid alternatives). So I think that even if Mario Kart is a very treasured brand, it would be unlikely to reach expectations as a paid game.

I do think it's a shame that this happen, because some developers did make an effort to make great games, such as HAL's Part Time UFO.

Thank you for reading.
The problem with Mario Run wasn't the one-time-fee in itself, though. The main problem was that said fee was abnormally high for the general mobile consumer, combined with its watered-down gameplay and its network requirement.

everyone wanted nintendo to get with the times and be like the other gaming companies. unfortunately, they have only borrowed the bad aspects of gaming. first paid online, now microtransactions. those would actually be understandable IF they also implemented something good for a change (aka local save data back-up on switch. i don't want to pay for my save data to be stored somewhere temporarily. i was accused of having no pertinent argument against nso, so here's one.)

i would not have an issue to pay for the game if it actually was decent

also microtransactions are a big no, specially since mario kart is such a good brand that it sells itself.

wait, i just read your earlier post again. gacha is a form of gambling, no?

hopefully they just keep that bull to mobile platforms and don't let it come a single inch close to console gaming.

okay the microtransaction model of your typical shitty phone game is complete utter shit, i'll agree with that

but on the other hand, the ability to play as Baby Luigi in a Mario Kart handheld in Mario Kart 7 tracks and in Mario Kart 7 vehicles is the sole goddamn reason I want this game so badly. I was expecting the roster to be bare minimum awful with only like 10 characters but him being here was a giant pleasant surprise that turned my opinion of the game around.

Bye Guy said:

hopefully they just keep that bull to mobile platforms and don't let it come a single inch close to console gaming.

nintendo isn't activision so i hope it doesn't happen

Bye Guy said:
the roster appears to be unchanged from mario kart 8 :( but at least there's chocolate island
Welll at least that's a good thing IMO I get to be Mario, Metal Mario, and Baby Mario. But alas, no Tanooki Mario? Also, I don't expect the roster to be way better than Mario Kart 8 given it's a mobile game. My sister is stoked that Baby Luigi is in this one, and that would mark the babies' first handheld playable appearance lol. We had low expectations, that the roster would be extremely basic. But saying the return of Choco Island 2, one of the most hated tracks in the series and constantly complained about when Mario Kart DS was the hot new thing, being a GOOD thing?

The gameplay looks really slow and boring, not sure how drifting works but it's clunky, but I guess that's only the beta. Hey, it's the first game where there are icons indicating characters appearing behind you at least.

winstein said:
If there are Mario Kart 8 courses, then I am curious on what their listed system would be. I am hoping that it lists the original game's system (Wii U) instead of the Deluxe's one (Switch), since the courses are in both versions.

Thank you for reading.
I think they'll use the Wii U as the console of origin. I don't think I've seen Nintendo ever list Switch as a game of origin when the Wii U was more appropriate?

Swiftie_Luma said:

That's complete bs.

winstein said:

Thank you for reading.

That's terrible, but honestly, we should see it coming. Not even Nintendo can really deal with the wasteland that is the unregulated developer and consumer-hostile mobile market. Mobile gaming has been a joke for years (notice that we aren't getting any movie-licensed games as much? as flies to dung, they migrated to the mobile gaming market) and the platforms that supply them has done absolute jack to try to curate the thing. It's what you get when free market capitalism gets to rule. So Nintendo, I guess in order to compete but it can be just from greed, now has to engage in some consumer unfriendly practices like the rest of them.

Mcmadness said:
And that is why I don't buy mobile games.
I don't either. Greedy "developers" and complacent platforms create this sludge slop and the real losers are the consumers and the good-to-honest developers that get swamped by the awful micro-transaction clones.

Toadette said:
This is so stupid!! I'm definitely not getting this game, like why would the Big N do this? It has never been implemented in a Mario Kart game along with a proper story mode which we're never getting!
Big N is greedy and probably can't compete in a mobile market without some dirty tactics as well.

Bye Guy said:
everyone wanted nintendo to get with the times and be like the other gaming companies. unfortunately, they have only borrowed the bad aspects of gaming. first paid online, now microtransactions. those would actually be understandable IF they also implemented something good for a change (aka local save data back-up on switch. i don't want to pay for my save data to be stored somewhere temporarily. i was accused of having no pertinent argument against nso, so here's one.)
No, it's not "only" the bad aspects of gaming. It's the "normal" aspects of gaming, particularly "triple AAA" ones. Paid online and microtransactions really aren't justified for anything. Companies make far more money you (if you have a job, any job likely) and probably your parents combined make in a life time and executives get millions of dollars in bonuses while employees work over time and get fired and QA testers get paid bare-bones, advertising for the game is ludicrous, and so the issue of microtransactions or paid online isn't to address the cost of making a game, it's so companies can make enough money to keep the shareholders happy, and shareholds demand unreasonable amounts of money too.

So far, though, Nintendo has remained pretty immune to the pitifalls of modern gaming, but in the mobile market, it's a disappointment.

Bye Guy said:

Give them the inch, they will go the mile. They already make a fuck ton of money with their NSO scam. We'll see what they'll do.

Screenshot_20190522-143516_Mario_Kart.jpg

yep that's confirmed to be a thing

Several info I have learned

-Each character has their own special item, such as Double Bomb and Boomerangs. Some of them function differently than their console counterpart, such as the Boomerang which is an AOE attack now.
-They earn points per race for action, hence the numbers next to them.
-Characters have preferred race tracks, meaning characters will get more items if they race in their "favorite" race track.
-The same thing applies to karts.
-Bowser Jr. and Lakitu aren't playable

Screenshot_20190522-144521_Mario_Kart.jpg

-Each karts have their own special abilities.
-Game has Reverse courses.

Screenshot_20190522-144946_Mario_Kart.jpg

Screenshot_20190522-145026_Mario_Kart.jpg

more gacha bs

20190522_143738.jpg

Screenshot_20190522-143745_Mario_Kart.jpg

Also, character availability is sorted into tiers, on how rare they are to unlock...and they're like lootboxed *bleep* and you need emeralds to unlock them.

you can guess what tier they are in the colors of the character select

Also, Toad is the starting character and you get a random rare (the golden character) at the end of the tutorial.

Screenshot_20190522-144521_Mario_Kart.jpg
Screenshot_20190522-144523_Mario_Kart.jpg
Screenshot_20190522-144516_Mario_Kart.jpg

obligatory Baby Luigi stats pics

BabyLuigiMKT.jpg
Screenshot_20190522-151617_Mario_Kart.jpg

Bleh, almost glad I didn't get into the beta for this. Welp, back to waiting for Mario Kart 9 i guess. I was holding out some hope that being mobile wouldn't hurt this game too much, that's what I get.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Bleh, almost glad I didn't get into the beta for this. Welp, back to waiting for Mario Kart 9 i guess. I was holding out some hope that being mobile wouldn't hurt this game too much, that's what I get.
Toad* being the default character gave you the adequate visceral disgust you needed to opt out, didn't it?

*toadette is a default too I hear

At the end of the tutorial, you could use another character than Toad (and potentially Toadette) though...one of the golden-colored guys.

Back