Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I doubt you've got as much biased nostalgia for it. It also doesn't have Dire Dire Docks.
ah yes Dire Dire Docks, the level you spend nearly always the first 10 minutes in swimming to the main location.

Please. Let me feel proud for that zone being the first one I got all the stars of. I thought getting the eel star was the hardest thing ever as a young lad.

Let me predict the future... if I say Bob Omb Battlefield you'll say it's flat and boring and that Rey Bob-Omba is too easy. To that I'll reply I have fun throwing him off the cliff.

Bob-omb Battlefield was fun. I like the Silver Star version in the DS one where it seems like hell was broken loose.

And idk are you talking about Jolly Roger Bay since Dire Dire Docks doesn't have an eel.

The two zones just blurred into my mind together oops. Not sure about how ashamed I shoud feel about it.

Now, let's agree on Shifting Sand Land being amazing. You even get to go in the pyramid alright. Or maybe Lethal Lava, though I think it's kind of the same level but a bit worse, setting aside? Idk I love levels with outskirts areas and some big thingy you can get into.

shifting sand idk i found it way too hard especially with how long it took me to find the wing cap at first. inside the pyramid was just kinda confusing like i know there's a boss inside but how am i meant to get there? and outside it's just infuriating to get like 7 red coins and then slip and fall in quicksand and reset.

thats one problem i have with mario 64 and sunshine, too much of the game is figuring out what to do rather than having fun doing it and even when i do get around to actual 3d platforming it just isn't as fun as galaxy 1, galaxy 2, 3d land, or 3d world because of the dated controls/physics/moveset and the camera

The New Super Mario Bros. series is incredibly stiff and feels awful to control. I've had more frustration playing New Super Mario Bros. U than games actually sold on their difficulty (Dark Souls, Hollow Knight, etc.)

I also don't like its awkward use of models on a 2D plane. Just looks jarring and the 3D World style in Super Mario Maker 2 is what the 2D games should look like from here on out.

The stiffness of how Mario controls is probably an archaic element when sprites, all limited how they move, dominated. Super Mario Run did have a step forward with parkour animations and rolling to keep momentum from running.

Also yeah I keep railing against the models on a 2D plane. It's easy to make but Mario takes a big visual hit compared to his competition being Donkey Kong, Kirby, Rayman, Ori, even Yoshi (sigh).

Reactions: zel
i haven't played new soup u but i'm familiar with it's overworld theme from SMM1 and i gotta admit it's underwhelming

Yeah, the grassland theme from the first NSMBs are way better.

They take me back, too, specifically the NSMBWii one. Damn it I wanna play the game now.

Let the Mario movie look like Mario Adventures comics and have songs. Imagine Wario having his own evil yet joyful German/Swiss folk song while playing the accordion and singing with a Tenor voice would be great. Totally realistic expectations the ones I have here yes.

Ok look just... make it look like those comics or at least Kotabe's artstyle at least, pretty please?

Last edited:
Let the Mario movie look like Mario Adventures comics and have songs. Imagine Wario having his own evil yet joyful German/Swiss folk song while playing the accordion and singing with a Tenor voice would be great. Totally realistic expectations the ones I have here yes.

Ok look just... make it look like those comics or at least Kotabe's artstyle at least, pretty please?
Nintendo has way too much of a chokehold on the IP to give Illumination enough creative freedom to fuck it up lmao

After replaying Donkey Kong Country Returns, I can definitely understand why people don't like the motion controls but they aren't that intrusive imo.

I was actually surprised by how good some of the songs in it were when I listened through it, but in general I think the soundtrack for most Mario RPGs are rather lacking. The only exception to this is the soundtrack to Super Mario RPG.

Idk something about TTYD's ost just doesn't click to me.

"We're counting on you, Mario" is imo really overrated. I don't think it sounds all that amazing even compared to the other themes in the game. You know what? Super Paper Mario's ost absolutely trumps this one, as much as the game itself is so flawed in so many ways.

SPM has a pretty good soundtrack. I haven't listened to too much of the other games' soundtracks, but I've liked what I've heard from TTYD.

My favorite Paper Mario Soundtrack is definitely the first Paper Mario. (I haven't heard sticker star or color splash's music). TTYD is in a kind of close second, and then SPM at a kind of distant third.

Not sure if I have a definitive favorite soundtrack in the Mario and Luigi series. I do like most of the battles themes, overworld themes, mini boss themes, and final boss themes from the first four games. (I'm not sure how Paper Jam fares). I will say that based on what I heard I prefer the original soundtracks for Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside story over the remake's soundtrack.

As far as PM goes I think Color Splash's ost is stellar. It's so far the only one I've gone out of my way to listen to on Youtube honestly.

Back