The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

Thoughts:

Looks interesting! The animation is absolutely beautiful, especially given Illumination's track record. I think it's interesting that the film seems to be adapting the early games' idea of Bowser being a warlord, since later games have kind of abandoned that. I love how there's a kingdom populated by a race other than the toads. Hopefully this means that there are more unique kingdoms out there of different races. I think the world feels more real that way. I thought everyone other than Chris Pratt did a fantastic job, and I'm excited to see more of the project.

Also, this video made me laugh way harder than it should have.

Yup that sure was a generic Crisp Rat voice for Mario, huh?

Rest of the VAs sound fine but damn they really made Mario just sound like a guy. (Yeah I do get that it'd likely be annoying to have Mario's exaggerated Italian accent 24/7, but you'd think they'd have given him a subtle one to keep with the character tbh).

Right after Mario says "What is this place?" there's a squeaky sound, I think it came from an enemy in the games and it sounds REALLY familiar but I can't recall which one.

That's a Wiggler sound, they used it in Super Mario 64 and Mario Party games.

I think it's interesting that the film seems to be adapting the early games' idea of Bowser being a warlord, since later games have kind of abandoned that.
I mean, not really. We've seen him just trying to conquer foreign lands at least as recently as 3D world.

There is no possible combination of words to adequately describe how excited I am for this. I've literally been waiting for this my whole life and I even did a drawing of the penguins an hour after seeing the teaser.

I don't care what you say, who you are, or what you think, you cannot spoil or ruin this for me. I will be there on opening day and I will love it. :D

So the movie looks really interesting. The Bowser and the Penguins scene was cool. Bowser sounds amazing. Not sold on Mario's voice yet though.

Yup that sure was a generic Crisp Rat voice for Mario, huh?

Rest of the VAs sound fine but damn they really made Mario just sound like a guy. (Yeah I do get that it'd likely be annoying to have Mario's exaggerated Italian accent 24/7, but you'd think they'd have given him a subtle one to keep with the character tbh).
Honestly, the only correct language for the movie will be this one:
Where Mario sounds Pratter than ever for some reason

Honestly, the only correct language for the movie will be this one:
Where Mario sounds Pratter than ever for some reason
It really begs the question: Why not just have the guy who's been voicing Mario for almost 30 years voice Mario? He's already in the movie and he's clearly very passionate about doing it. I'd probably be insulted if a character I'd been playing for 20+ years was suddenly voiced by some dumb A-lister because 'He's so cool'.

Reactions: zel
I mean, I imagine a cheesy Mario voice would be somewhat annoying for a whole movie and it doesn't feel right hearing Mario say a full sentence.

I mean, in Mario galaxy after the credits Mario says "thank you so much for playing my game" THAT didn't feel right. A whole movie definitely won't feel right.

Now if Pratt did normal guy voice but with a slight Italian accent it'd be perfect… but… he is just… I dunno the word.

Charles Martinet said in an interview that playing Mario for an entire movie would've been too hard on his voice, so that's another factor.
That's also true. In real life, I got a killer Mickey Mouse impression, but I couldn't have a full conversation in it.

Charles Martinet said in an interview that playing Mario for an entire movie would've been too hard on his voice, so that's another factor.
Really?! I can't believe this is true! Did Sam Kelly, Kenny James, Takashi Nagasako, and Atsushi Masaki say the same thing as well?

I'm honestly excited. I don't think any of the characters look or sound bad at all (i guess with the exception of Toad because of my own biases, but even Toad is more bearable than usual, which is something I never thought I'd say)

Bowser is easily the highlight so far though. And I love the way he and Kamek are animated. And those armored Koopas were giving me Koopatrol vibes 👀

I mean, I imagine a cheesy Mario voice would be somewhat annoying for a whole movie and it doesn't feel right hearing Mario say a full sentence.

I mean, in Mario galaxy after the credits Mario says "thank you so much for playing my game" THAT didn't feel right. A whole movie definitely won't feel right.

Now if Pratt did normal guy voice but with a slight Italian accent it'd be perfect… but… he is just… I dunno the word.
I've heard a few people say that, and... I dunno, I just think it's kind of a cough out. He's spoken full sentences at conventions like this and I don't really find the voice annoying. I could definitely understand @Borp's point though.

I mean you also can't forget that having celebrity voice actors for your animated movie basically just How Hollywood Works®.

We all remember how Scoob literally replaced the entire current Scooby Doo voice cast sans Frank Welker (and even then they only had him voicing Scooby himself and not Fred, who he has literally been voicing since Scooby Doo began in 19-fucking-69).

So even if Martinet was fully willing to have done the role of Mario (as opposed to whatever voice role he'll end up having as his cameo(s)), there's still a good chance this movie would have still gone with a celeb for Mario's VA.

I'm honestly excited. I don't think any of the characters look or sound bad at all (i guess with the exception of Toad because of my own biases, but even Toad is more bearable than usual, which is something I never thought I'd say)

Bowser is easily the highlight so far though. And I love the way he and Kamek are animated. And those armored Koopas were giving me Koopatrol vibes 👀

Side note. I like your hair.

I would like to note that the castle that Luigi winds up in is actually Bowser's Castle (evidenced by the flag flying from the pole), however, it's clearly old and rundown as a crumbling wall from the distant shot and various debris when Luigi is trying to close the gate can be seen.

My guess is that it's an abandoned version of Bowser's Castle, perhaps his TRUE kingdom that he was supposed to guard before becoming evil. Maybe he was even entrusted with a Power Star but misused its power.

Would you mind linking the interview? Just to know its not just a rumor and I'm also curious to see his thoughts!

Mario has spoken full sentences before

It's no different than Mickey Mouse having his iconic high pitched voice for a full movie!

We all laughed at the penguins' efforts, but remember what snowballs can do in the Marioverse.

SnowSmashBrawl.png

Last edited:
I saw the teaser trailer myself, and while the voice acting will take some getting used to, the movie does seem promising. Bowser is as strong and intimidating as you would expect. Heck, his own troops hardly did anything against the penguin army.

Of course, there are a few things that do creep me out, such as the Toads having visible teeth. And when I saw what Princess Peach was going to look like in the movie, I can't help but feel that she needs a nose job.

charles martinet has great range as a voice actor (see paarthurnax, senator phillips), but i don't find his mario inflections particularly appealing for a movie. i really don't want to sit through 60-minute worth of character screentime if it's accompanied by this:

pratt's voice isn't particularly exciting for sure, but that's exactly in tone with what they're seemingly going for with the character: an ordinary plumber, cast in a world very different than what he is used to. put yourself or any person in your life in a similar scenario; realistically, would they feel impelled to shout things like "awawwawawawa, ohoo, let's-a gooo new-a adventure! wahooo"? nevermind that it would be annoying hearing that every 10 seconds; it's just off-putting by principle.

charles martinet has great range as a voice actor (see paarthurnax, senator phillips), but i don't find his mario inflections particularly appealing for a movie. i really don't want to sit through 60-minute worth of character screentime if it's accompanied by this:

pratt's voice isn't particularly exciting for sure, but that's exactly in tone with what they're seemingly going for with the character: an ordinary plumber, cast in a world very different than what he is used to. put yourself or any person in your life in a similar scenario; realistically, would they feel impelled to shout things like "awawwawawawa, ohoo, let's-a gooo new-a adventure! wahooo"? nevermind that it would be annoying hearing that every 10 seconds; it's just off-putting by principle.

As you said Martinet has great range, meaning his inflections wouldn't always have to be high pitched/excited. There's no rule that he's gotta "wahoo" after every sentence 😅

The French version shows the Mario voice can be done in a feature length 120 minute film.

This Martinet impressionist also shows Mario can still speak softly "what is this place?" and the voice doesn't always have to sound excited.

He's an ordinary plumber, yes, but an ordinary Italian plumber in a cartoon movie. As much as people claim Pratt does a slight "Broolyn" accent, it's so faint that are better casting options to go for a proper Brooklyn accent if they wanted that. For an A-list actor Danny DeVito would do better as he's an Italian American who grew up in New Jersey.

what ive heard is that in these talk conference things with martinet he ends up kind of dropping the accent and sound more natural which could fit more for the movie

Back