30 day video game music challenge!

ok SO since i already used the game i was gonna pick RPG battle theme from ive had the thoughts in the back of my head about what i could do, but havent decided on one yet. but as fate would have it, a particular piece of news i saw today that is otherwise pretty unnoteworthy to the majority of people here reminded me of a game from my childhood that i used to play when i visited my friend... and i suddenly had a great idea for what i could do for today's pick. so today we've got the Battle Theme from Medabots for the GBA, which it turns out is actually a remake of a Game Boy Color game, but as it turns out only three Medabots games have ever been localised, back in the gba/gcn era. the entire soundtrack has a lot of nostalgic value to me, but the battle song in particular is pretty iconic to me. it's not very long, but what's there sounds great and brings back memories of robots running back and forth shooting missles and lasers at each other and getting blown up. good times

Day 11: Puzzle game music [Hard Mode]

hmm i'm not sure what counts exactly as a "Puzzle game" but i guess i liked angry birds as a kid (i don't anymore) but yeah i guess this main theme takes me back.

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker 1
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Minecraft
  • Lego Indiana Jones 2
  • Bowser's Inside Story
  • Angry Birds

Reactions: zel
do i look like i play puzzle games
however. ive never played tetris 99 but from vids ive seen its remix of the theme absolutely Slaps also its got like the most satisfying sound effects ever

and oh! angry birds mentioned in the previous post! im not sure it counts as a puzzle game (no idea what it is otherwise though) but god you guys
this is before they made that orchestral version that just.. i dunno it doesnt stand out as much. also this gives me MASSIVE nostalgia god i miss this game (and angry birds stella)

Day 11: music from a puzzle game

honestly there aren't a lot of puzzle game songs i can think of. most puzzle games i've played don't have any music. i guess snipperclips is a puzzle game and it has music, so.......
the music in this game feels like something that you'd hear in something like an educational show for toddlers, and that's not a bad thing. i think it's fitting for a puzzle game and isn't too intense or boring for a puzzle game. that's about all i have to say

This may be an odd choice, but...

Tree is Shift - Baba is You

Please, please, everyone, if you enjoy puzzle games in the slightest, play Baba is You.

Ahem, but, to get to the point, you may notice that this theme is rather... minimalist. It's actually one of the more "active" themes in the game, given that the entire game's soundtrack is rather minimalist. Yet, I think it works exceptionally well. The game as a whole has a minimalist style, graphically, musically, and otherwise. In part, it's because it's an indie game so there was some degree of necessity. It's also, however, arose from the fact that this is a game focused on meta-manipulation, a game focused on changing the rules of the game itself. By stripping away as much as possible, it becomes easier to focus on the rules, on manipulating them. Sometimes, you need something that's sufficient as "thinking music." Simple enough so as not to be over-stimulating and draw your attention away from the puzzle, but interesting enough to stimulate you enough to keep you engaged. It goes along, almost, with the idea of "Optimal Arousal" in psychology. I think the whole soundtrack pulls it off well, but this theme stands out among it.

[Hard Mode]

Day 11 - Puzzle Game Music: Type B - Tetris

Day 1 - Title Screen Music: Main Theme - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Day 2 - Opening Level Music: Departure Intro Stage - Mega Man Zero 2
Day 3 - 8-Bit Music: Moonsong - Cave Story
Day 4 - Music From a Console Exclusive Series: Riding on Legendary Beast - Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Day 5 - Hub World or Overworld Music: Summer Forest - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Day 6 - Music that makes you feel relaxed: Yellow Giant - Doshin the Giant
Day 7 - Music from an indie game: Prince Dail's Theme - Freedom Planet
Day 8 - Music from a shooter (First or third person): Fly Octo Fly - Splatoon 2
Day 9 - Music from a licensed game: Strange Things - Toy Story (Genesis)
Day 10 - RPG Battle Music: Come On! - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

Day 11: Lightning Mode - Bejeweled 3

Bejeweled 3 is one of those games you probably wouldn't assume was engaging or deep, but this colorful gem matching game has a bunch of different modes with their own gimmicks, and it's got some real solid music to go with it. Diamond Mine, Ice Storm... but probably the catchiest would be for Lightning Mode. That mode's all about collecting extra time to get more rounds with bigger multiplier numbers, the music getting more and more frantic as you go. I like the theme all the way from its initial slow pace to the rapid anxious theme by the end, and I was lucky enough to find a video with all its variants from slow to fast, so here we are!

Day 11 (Puzzle game music): Lunar Theme (Panel de Pon)

Boy am I SO glad they released this game over NSO because it is freaking ADORABLE. And this theme is absolutely beautiful! Just listen to that harp! This is probably just my inner geek but this theme reminds me a lot of Sailor Moon hehehe.

Day 11: Puzzle game

Okay so for today's pick I decided to go for a very, very obscure game series, but nonetheless some of the first games I've ever played, before getting into console gaming. I am getting so nostalgic right now, guys.

I present to you, Luxor, an ancient egyptian-style ball shooter. And this is a theme that comes from the, I believe second game?

Luxor Amun Rising: Main level theme

Also check out the main theme of the first game if you can, it's good too. God I wanna play these again sometime. dammit.

Day 11: Puzzle game

S'yeah, not a big puzzle game player so I'm going with Fever from Dr. Mario. I don't think it needs further explaining on why I like this tune a lot, it's pretty iconic if you ask me.

By the way, the only reason I'm not going with Tetris Type A is because it's technically not a video game song.

Last edited:
Reactions: zel
for day 11 i'm going with BGM B Jazz from Picross 3D Round 2. i bought picross 3d round 2 off amazon for like 10 bucks while i was buying other stuff, and i tried it a little bit but just sorta let it sit and played other things cause it wasn't very story or progression based, but earlier this year/last year i picked it back up again and boy am i glad i did. it's a really fun, relaxing puzzle game with heaps of content, and everything about it, from the graphics to the controls and, yes, even the sound design is basically perfect. i had a hard time choosing which song i actually wanted to go with from the game, since there's a number of them and they're all great but i thought i'd go with this one cause it's very chill and relaxing

day 12: music that makes you sad
starbound music 👁 __ 👁 i dunno i just sorta half boycotted it august last year (because chucklefish sucks and ive hardly played it at the time anyway) and i havent played it since but its meant a lot to me before and i just Miss It
also this one? https://www.mariowiki.com/File:Ending_Super_Mario_Galaxy_2.oga but in a good way. cant imagine what an effect itll have on me if i actually Hear it In Game for the first time

Day 12: Music that Makes me sad [Hard Mode]
Bounding Through Time, Soft Light, Memory, Promise, Proof of Existence
TTYD Credits, Sadness and Happiness, Return to Mushroom Kingdom, Farewell Rogueport, Last Look at Rogueport

Luma - Super Mario Galaxy 1. At this point I'm not entirely sure whether I played this game before or after Super Paper Mario but either way, whilst that game far overshadows this game story wise IMO, something about Rosalina's story did touch me and this music takes me back to that.

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Mario Maker 1
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Minecraft
  • Lego Indiana Jones 2
  • Bowser's Inside Story
  • Angry Birds
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1

Day 12: Blue Bird Lamentation - Virtue's Last Reward

Okay this is in part association because wow two of the scenes that used this song in VLR were really good at being heartwrenching, but this theme ended up as "just fuck my shit up fam" the theme as a result. Straight up punch me in the gut with emotions.

then ZTD overused it and not all the scenes that used it worked, but that doesn't change how i feel about the theme itself so i can still use it here!

Day 12. AZ's Sadness - Pokémon X and Y

Sometimes I feel it's wrong to break out the Pokémon themes, because, for a number of them, it's not even my experience with them in-game that's making my mind jump to them. This is a stand-out piece from BW's OST, but I wouldn't pick it on that alone. I think that this song holds a special place in my heart because not only did it tug at the heartstrings in its original context, but because it was featured as one of the songs at the Symphonic Evolutions, and it was the favorite piece of the night of the person I shared that experience with. It causes me to think often about that, and to curse my memories for being so lacking in vividness. It bothers me, genuinely, to know that I'll never recapture the experience of that night, that to some extent, it will always be lost, and I'll never again have an opportunity to experience that. The fleeting nature of experience and the faulty nature of our memories... that's enough to make one sad, isn't it?

I overthink things, that's part of my nature, I suppose. I turn to philosophy where I shouldn't, and I turn a piece of music like this into something more than it is. But, even more than that, this is simply a song about loss. It's about AZ's loss of his beloved partner in its original context. It's, for me, about the constant loss we endure in the course of our experiences, the constant changes we undergo and the realization, years later, of what we might never have again because it slipped through our fingers. Back to the original song, though, I also think it's a message of the crossroads that loss presents us. We can get angry, yes, about the things we lose, because of our pain, but however we choose to channel it, anger is going to lead to more pain, to more loss, to more of the despair captured in the first half of the song. Loss, by breeding pain and anger, breeds loss. We have to learn to accept what we've lost, from the trivial to the major, to be able to move forward.

[Hard Mode]

Day 12 - Music that makes you sad: Grovyle's Sacrifice - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: EoD/EoT/EoS

Day 1 - Title Screen Music: Main Theme - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Day 2 - Opening Level Music: Departure Intro Stage - Mega Man Zero 2
Day 3 - 8-Bit Music: Moonsong - Cave Story
Day 4 - Music From a Console Exclusive Series: Riding on Legendary Beast - Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Day 5 - Hub World or Overworld Music: Summer Forest - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Day 6 - Music that makes you feel relaxed: Yellow Giant - Doshin the Giant
Day 7 - Music from an indie game: Prince Dail's Theme - Freedom Planet
Day 8 - Music from a shooter (First or third person): Fly Octo Fly - Splatoon 2
Day 9 - Music from a licensed game: Strange Things - Toy Story (Genesis)
Day 10 - RPG Battle Music: Come On! - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Day 11 - Puzzle Game Music: Type B - Tetris

Day 12 - Music that makes you sad: Tales of the Abyss - Meaning of Birth

It doesn't sound super sad but I feel like the moment that this plays during is probably the saddest one in the series, probably next to the depression tussle in Xillia but that one is almost comical. I'll try not to spoil but the fight is basically unnecessary in context, Asch has lost his past, his future, everything was taken from him and all he has left is his pride. If he won he wouldn't get back what he lost but the duel itself is what he needs to move forward.

Day 12: Le Sad Theme

I could have saved this one for 16-bit day but I have another one planned, and this one here really fits.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Conversation 1)

Calling this track "conversation 1" does such a disservice to this beautiful theme. It packs so much emotional power and hammers the sadness that accompanies even further. Considering FE4 itself can be a very depressing game at times, this theme feels right at home and helps you feel sympathy for these characters who are all going through very tough times, in one way or another.

The way the background noises harmonize so perfectly with the main notes is probably what makes this so great. Just like Luminous caverns from castlevania hod that I posted earlier in this thread, this theme is especially amazing in context. Unlike it however, the composition holds up very well on its own and still perfectly manages to tell the story through sound. FE4 is most likely the next FE game to be remade, and when they do that, I hope this theme comes back with a better name, and with as much, if not more, weight and power.

Day 12: Music that makes you sad

This is pretty hard for me, since for sad music, I often default to nonVGM music that has given me powerful emotions of sadness that I don't think VGM quite achieves. Maybe not teary-eyed, but either feeling a bit desolate due to describing impoverished people, lyrics describing people passing away and things changing due to that, lyrics describing two friends contracting a terminal illness and both opting for euthanasia to die together, or lyrics describing children dying in the conflict caused by The Troubles. I'm sorta a metal head, so these themes are pretty common, and thus, it's tough to find a VGM song that has legit made me feel sad per se.

I guess I'll go with this theme.

I like how different this sounds compared to what you usually expect from entering the area of the Pokemon League. Rather than being heroic, bright, and intense that you finally made it to be among the ranks of the champion, the piece sounds more like your journey is near its end. It stands out for that, and I like it.

Day 12: Music that makes you sad

Alright imma share something weird about myself: i barely ever feel emotion while playing a game. i focus more on the gameplay. i occasionally internally say "holy shit" sometimes in video games, but i never feel actual emotion. that could be because of those pricks who spoil the entire game in youtube thumbnails and stuff, because that kinda ruins my gaming experience. but this song from paper mario color splash did make me shed at least one tiny microscopic tear.
piano music pretty much always gets to me. the song can either be absolutely beautiful or depressing. i never played paper mario color splash, but even if i never even heard of huey and heard this song, i'd get kinda depressed. it could just be me because i find piano music fascinating, but this song did make me cry on the inside a few times.

Back