30 day video game music challenge!

Day 15 - Boss Battle Music

Super Paper Mario (Super Dimentio) - This is no ordinary boss battle music. Super Dimentio is a weird, wacky combination of Dimentio, Luigi, and the Chaos Heart, and it shows. The music is tense, especially considering the surprise final boss reveal that happened just a moment before. The stakes are high, and it's up to Mario to save the day!b

Day 15 - Boss Battle Music [Hard Mode]

Koopaling Battle in NSMBW/U. Nostaliga what can I say. Also I personally feel that I didn't want to choose a final boss theme as there's specifically one for that later, so I thought I'd do one which was a non-final boss theme.

• Bowser battle (TTYD/SPM)
  • Closing Battle (SPM)
  • Rawk Hawk Battle (TTYD)
  • King Croacus Battle (SPM)
  • Feather Fiend (DKCR)
  • Bowser's Highway Showdown (SM3DW)
  • Smorg Battle (TTYD)
  • Brobot L-Type Battle (SPM)
  • Brobot Battle (SPM)
  • Giant Battle (M&L:BIS)
  • Shadow Peach Battle (TTYD)

Last edited:
Day 15 - Boss battle music: Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim - Mighty Obstacle

This is my favourite track at the moment, even though Ys VI is probably the second weakest Ys game I have played and it doesn't have as much good music overall, this boss theme is my favourite in the series and made every boss fight feel amazing. It has a long build up but when it hits it fucking hits. The older Ys games that use the Adol solo gameplay are all pretty amazing fun and boss fights are just so good, nothing is as satisfying as recklessly weaving through the shit they put in your way just to rail on them a little more while bangers are playing in the background.

Day 15: Pledge of Demon - Yakuza 0

I ended up playing Yakuza 0 because a friend of mine was divvying up a bundle, gave me Yakuza 1, and I decided to start with the prequel as a result. Good game, no regrets. Anyhow, this theme plays for one of the most stubborn recurring bosses I've seen in a game, and it fits perfectly. This is the theme of someone who you can knock down but can't keep down, who will just keep getting up and coming back for more. Solid music!

Day 13. Music from a game you don't like. Legacy - Devil may Cry 5

Alright, now, before anyone gets too heated, I recognize that a good number of folks took this day as "music from a game that wasn't fun and good." For me, though, I'm choosing to take this as "this is a fair, quality game, but it doesn't mesh with me personally." DMC is a fine series, but, from what I've tried of it, I've just never been able to get into it. It has some good music, though. I've heard a bit of it floating around, and sad, somber violin is something I'm a sucker for. Songs that aren't great as songs but try to get Deep (TM) with their lyrics are also, I admit, one of my musical guilty pleasures, especially when it comes to ones that are tied to a specific work or character.

Day 14. Music Featuring Vocals. The Edge of Dawn - Fire Emblem: Three Houses

This has actually proven one of the hardest picks so far. There's actually quite a number of videogame songs with vocals that I think are spectacular, a fair number coming from games I've played myself and an even greater number coming from doing research for Mario's Boombox. And, I mean, in complete fairness, I link this version, but I think the reason I've fallen hard for the Edge of Dawn comes down to two covers - and they're by artists I covered in the section's run, actually! FamilyJules did a grand job with his cover of the song, and it's the one I tend to think of first and foremost. But what really hooked me on the song and kicked me down a path of eventually getting Three Houses and making it my first Fire Emblem game was this lovely Orchestral Cover, made all the way back when we only had a portion of the song and a trailer to go on. It felt so suitably epic and intense, though, that I was impressed out of the gate. It made me feel like Fire Emblem had something special to it, and that's before Koops started really showing me what it was all about as a series!

Day 15. Boss Battle Music. Final Battle Music - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

This is a rare instance where I actually like the music better when it's separated from its context. Did this need to be the theme of Elder Princess Shroob? No. It didn't really fit there, not properly. This is a theme of sacrifice, and regret. This is not the theme for the ending of PiT. Am I immensely jealous that it is, because it could be spectacular as the final boss music for some indie game that actually builds up to a somber, reflective ending? Yes, yes I am. I just really like the longing here, the feeling of regret, the feeling that this isn't a battle you want to win, not a battle anyone even wants to have, but that it's one that must be had nonetheless.

Day 15: boss music

There are a lot, and I mean A LOT of boss songs that i think slap. It was really hard for me to decide, and even then i'm not completely sure about my choice. I mean.........this is a grant kirkhope song, so it obviously sstands out......
there have been several times where i heard a boss song and tapped my toes because i loved the song. this is one of those, and i loved this when i first heard it. I still really like this song and wonder why it's not in smash ultimate

Oh have I been waiting for this one...

Day 15 (Boss battle music): Deep Sea Bass (Crypt of the Necrodancer)

There was a REASON that I never said I was doing hard mode and it's because I KNEW I was going to do this song for this day even after doing another song from this game for a different day! Anyways this theme is the catchiest thing to ever exist. It makes me sad that the boss you play after each zone is at random, because Coral Riff is easily the most superior of them all. You have to avoid the different instrument arm thingies while having to deal with water and the fact that the boss's head is the head of a guitar?? So cool.

Day 15: Boss battle music

I decided to be a little bit unconventional and use something a bit more relaxing than your average boss battle music. I like how it combines some tension but it's overall still a bright, bubbly tune to dance to, which makes sense in the game it's in; Kirby's Epic Yarn is a great little cheerful game that I enjoyed my time playing. I also like how it builds up when the song progresses, though I think it's supposed to indicate the different phases of the fight but it still keeps the song interesting the entire way through.

[Hard Mode]

Day 14 - Music featuring vocals: Open Your Heart - Sonic Adventure
Day 15 - Boss Battle Music: The Battle of Award 42 - A Hat in Time

Day 1 - Title Screen Music: Main Theme - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Day 2 - Opening Level Music: Departure Intro Stage - Mega Man Zero 2
Day 3 - 8-Bit Music: Moonsong - Cave Story
Day 4 - Music From a Console Exclusive Series: Riding on Legendary Beast - Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Day 5 - Hub World or Overworld Music: Summer Forest - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Day 6 - Music that makes you feel relaxed: Yellow Giant - Doshin the Giant
Day 7 - Music from an indie game: Prince Dail's Theme - Freedom Planet
Day 8 - Music from a shooter (First or third person): Fly Octo Fly - Splatoon 2
Day 9 - Music from a licensed game: Strange Things - Toy Story (Genesis)
Day 10 - RPG Battle Music: Come On! - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Day 11 - Puzzle Game Music: Type B - Tetris
Day 12 - Music that makes you sad: Grovyle's Sacrifice - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: EoD/EoT/EoS
Day 13 - Music you like from a game you don't like: Gooper Blooper Phase 5 - Paper Mario: Sticker Star

oh boy day 15, cant believe its halfway through already! today we're gonna go with Boss Battle from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. this melody is actually a series staple across various entries in the shantae series so to me it's very memorable and is one of the first things i think of when i think 'boss music', and i think thats for good reason. the song is very energetic and really gets you pumped up for a battle, regardless of it's against a huge pirate ship or just good ol' squid baron, and the instrumentation still subtly manages to fit the aesthetic of the rest of the games setting. very good song indeed, even amongst the very great soundtrack that pirate's curse has

day 16: 16-bit music
im boring so ill just go with.. the new themes that were added to the smw theme in smm2! even if its really not something the og soundfont could do theyre still pretty dam nice. i think i like forest the most

Day 16: 16-bit

Super Castlevania IV (Bloody Tears)

Nothing deep or philosophical to say here, this theme is just a jam. Debated whether to put The Treasury theme or Simon's theme or even the Chandeliers theme from the same game instead but this one I enjoy most.

Day 16 - 16-bit music: Etrian Odyssey III - Hoist the Sword with Pride in the Heart

I had to find out what era fm synth music was and google tells me it counts so I'm rolling with it. Etrian 3 has so many good songs all of them using fm synth, as good as yuzo koshiro is with orchestral music now you can tell he's always going to be the king of this style. Even Etrian 5 had the entire soundtrack remixed into an FM ver. pack just because he felt like it.

Hoist the Sword is such a good song among a sea of already amazing tracks, a lot of the Etrian Odyssey III soundtrack has been remixed in later games but even though the Hoist the Sword remixes are good none of them can compete with the original, it's just so raw.

Day 16: 16 bit music

I like 16 bit games (snes, genesis, etc). they have that nice feeling to them, and one thing that gives them that is the music. sometimes i consider it to be better than actual music. one game series that mastered 16 bit music in my opinion is sonic, the classic games to be precised. most songs from those games are a banger, but there are a few i like to listen to more, like
ok. this is a pretty unpopular opinion. everyone can agree that this is a good song, but not a lot of people would call it the best classic sonic song. but i personally really like this song. maybe cause i'm kind of a sucker for desert level music, but i find it really catchy. I could've gone with other classic sonic songs that i could've found better, but tbh sonic mania kinda ruined a few songs for me, like hydrocity and lava reef. i don't enjoy the originals as much now because the mania versions are so much better.

Day 16: 16-Bit music
Bowser - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

I posted this on another board. This is an impressive song for a SNES game and completely unexpected from a Mario game and even Koji Kondo himself. I really wish Nintendo would take a page from the Kirby series and arrange more of their lesser-known Mario themes.

Last edited:
Reactions: zel
Fun fact: Koops beat me to posting this one! Koops u bich. But he has excellent taste, because even after going through the soundtrack again I had to go back to this theme.

Day 16: Megalomania - Live-A-Live

This continues to be up there as one of my favorite boss themes. I've heard it used in other RPGs and the like (fanmade ones) and it never fails to add a real factor of danger and threat to whatever enemy you're up against. I think Live-A-Live's seven characters in seven times setup actually makes it work even better, this is the fight that brings an end to an individual's story, their greatest and most powerful opponent! (Don't count the bonus bosses). Really, you can't go wrong with this boss theme. It's made of hype.

Day 16: 16-Bit music

This piece is so good, it was a song I was listening to on my brief playthrough of Sonic 2 recently and I was like, hey this is pretty good. Not only is this great for high-speed platforming, the level itself is very well-designed to take advantage of Sonic's speed. So yeah, it's a great tune to go with a good level. I'm not too knowledgeable on 16 bit themes myself, but the moment I saw this day, my mind made a beeline for this one.

i've been trying to avoid featuring the same game or series as another person on the same day just for the sake of variety... but screw it, i specifically avoided using sonic for the vocal song one so i could use it today sooo i guess there's just gonna be another sonic song in the mix, and from the same game as the previous post too. my pick for day 16 is Hill Top Zone from Sonic 2. sonic games as a whole have great soundtracks, and for some reason hill top zone is one of the first songs i think of, along with a couple of others like scrap brain zone and mystic cave zone. i dont really have anything else constructive to offer here apart from "it sounds good" because im not a musician so i have no idea what words to use to explain why i like this lol

day 17: music you never get tired of
this is a bit of a weird question.. i generally wont get tired of a song if i like it enough so ???
might as well plug the music discs from minecaft
i have looped this for so long back in the day it just gives me nostalgia now

Back