30 day video game music challenge!

that silver surfer music has no right to be in such a bad game lol

ok, so intitially i was having some trouble deciding what i would go with today, since i don't have extensive experience with a lot of nes games with good soundtracks that aren't mario or mega man (which i feel are the easy way out, plus i already used mega man so want to use something different) but i looked over my backloggery to figure out what 8-bit games i actually have played and i saw one that has a super good soundtrack so i'm gonna draw from that. the game in question has a good ost overall so its hard to narrow it down to one, but i'm gonna go with Bicycle Training from Punch-out!!, giving honourable mentions to the Fight Theme and Little Mac Down (i'm fairly sure none of these are actually their real names but i cant be bothered checking right now so whatever). The Bicycle training music is really catchy and sounds way better than what a glorified password screen needs (plus the Smash remix from Little Mac's reveal probably adds some bias on my part). Fight Theme and Little Mac Down are both good and are perfect for the purposes for which they were made, but I just don't quite find Fight Theme catchy enough to give it the top spot, and Little Mac Down is catchy but really only works best when put in the context of a match along with the Fight Theme.

an extra honourable mention goes to the title screen theme for Kirby's Dream Land, which could have also been an honourable mention for Day 1 had i thought of it at the time

ACTUALLY NEVERMIND I WOULD LIKE TO CANCEL MY PREVIOUS SUBMISSION.

I just found out that Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance's ost counts as chiptune. So it's eligible.

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance: Luminous Caverns

On paper, this theme sounds really repetitive and boring. But in context, the song plays in one of the most confusing areas of the game, which is an underground cave with a creepy atmosphere and the much more terrifying in appearance than gameplay Scarecrows (Those things freaked me the hell out when I first played the game. This is a place designed to drive you insane, and I love that they did it so perfectly, and the theme sells this feeling down to the note. But it's not the only theme I'll mention here.

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance: Into the Demonic Castle

This is also another great song in the game. After using the Warp room, you find yourself in a strange place and nothing is quite as it was before. The backgrounds are also really weird, with... Volcanoes (?) in the background, misty clouds indoors, and crystals even. There's a sense of urgency with this song that tells you that you need to go forward. Not to mention that the song in on itself is pretty nice to listen to.

HoD's ost often gets crap for being 8-bit on a GBA game but I think that with the depressing tone the game takes, this is a very welcome accident. Everything sounds depressing and I love it, specifically these two themes.

Also this means that I've gone three days without FE now.

What counts as a console exclusive series?
A series which only appears on consoles?
A series which only appears on home consoles?
A series which only appears on one console?

Console exclusive is a game that appears on one specific console.

Or one specific brand of consoles, I forgot.

As this is referring to a series, it's safe to assume it's referring to a series that exclusively appears on a certain companies hardware. For example, Mario games would count as they only appear on Nintendo consoles.

ill use this opportnity to plug something i dont see often talked about and its the koopa road or bowsers road or wahtever theme from mario 64. i just like how it sounds and whatever those background instruments in that fade in at 00:33 are just so charming to me for some reason

Day 4 - Music from a console exclusive series

Given Shy Guy On Wheels' criteria:

As this is referring to a series, it's safe to assume it's referring to a series that exclusively appears on a certain companies hardware. For example, Mario games would count as they only appear on Nintendo consoles.

...any tune from the Paper Mario series counts

so, I choose Soft Light from Super Paper Mario which is not only my fav song from a console exclusive series, but in fact my favourite VGM of all time.

Day 4: Music from a console exclusive series

EDIT: I forgot that Mario Kart Tour existed.

Mario Party 9 (10 to Win) - I haven't mentioned Mario Party yet, and I'll admit, Mario Party 9 has some good music. This one especially is one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Well, I looked into it, and the entire main series is currently exclusive to Sony consoles. So even if some spinoffs are on other platforms, this counts! So...

Day 4: Life Will Change (Instrumental) - Persona 5

Sometimes I like a vocal theme more than the instrumental, and sometimes - like now - that's the latter. I dunno what it is, but this beat just works better as a solo piece of music for me. It's a great theme for getting pumped up and feeling like you're about to charge through everything like it's nothing, If you're going to do a BGM override gimmick, you'd better make sure the BGM doing the overriding is a theme that's earned, and this song works wonderfully for the runup to each major boss fight. The worst part of reaching the boss is that the theme doesn't play nonstop over everything anymore!

Yeah, this could also double as a best RPG battle music but luckily there's so many RPG battle music out there we can use competing for that slot! The song is composed by none other than Motoi Sakuraba, who has a huge resume of video game music under his belt, the same composer for the Mario Tennis / Golf series and many other titles, such as the Tales series and Super Smash Bros. cover versions Anyway, I picked this one, since there's only two titles in the Baten Kaitos series, both are on console, and they're both developed by Monolith Soft, behind Xenoblade. But I picked this one in particular because it's actually one of the first VGM I've downloaded ever, when Galbadia Hotel was still a site I used to frequent back in the 2000's, so this one's pretty nostalgic for me. The battle music itself is a great mix of being both chill, epic, and intense, has orchestral tunes mixed in with some fast-paced rock elements and a dandy keyboard solo.

(oh btw, Mario games have technically appeared on MS-DOS so...do they really count?)

Day 4 - Music from a console exclusive series: Xenoblade Chronicles X - aBOreSSs (Prog Ares Battle)

I have thought about what my favourite video game series are and I narrowed it down to Xenoblade and Etrian Odyssey. Both of the series' main games are all great and they've got remakes (Xenoblade DE, Etrian Untold 1 and 2) for the games that needed some updates to meet the rest of the series' standards. I'd have to give the edge to Xenoblade though.

This isn't really related besides the music I chose being from the game I consider the best between both series.

Mario Kart DS (Waluigi Pinball) - I suppose I'll use this opportunity to plug in some Mario Kart music. Man, is does this feel catchy to me! I think that the music represents the course quite accurately.

Uh, Mario Kart has appeared on a phone, you might want to reconsider your choice.

Day 4: Phantom of the Moon's Spirit - Super Kirby Clash

A rock remix of the track of the same name from Kirby Star Allies, which in turn is a medley of "Sullied Grace", "Fatal Blooms in Moonlight", and "The World to Win" from Kirby: Triple Deluxe. Super Kirby Clash's rendition is just about the greatest boss battle music I've ever heard; it's catchy, epic, and has a pretty long loop. This isn't quite my favorite VGM of all time--I'm saving that for later--but this is definitely up there.

4. Snowy Mount Valak (Night) - Xenoblade Chronicles

I really ought to play some of the Xenoblade games someday....

Honestly, there's plenty of great pieces I could have picked for this (and probably a ton from the Persona series in particular), but I've always been a sucker for somber, ambient background music. This piece relaxes me and helps me get into a reflective mindset, and I'm partial to sad, somber, even sometimes angry or vengeful songs that help me slip into a reflective, introspective mood. This isn't the most exciting or even the most interesting piece I could have picked, but it's still one I like, and it's the one that happens to call out to me today.

day 1: Metroid Prime main menu

Day 4 (Music from a console exclusive series): Ashley's Song (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

I pretty much gave up on trying to figure out what series were considered 'console exclusive' so if this counts, great, if it doesn't, I really don't care at this point. Anyways, the Brawl version of Ashley's song is superior compared to the original change my mind. It's like this awesome showtune, chorus ensemble of singers and all.

ok for today's pick, im gonna go with a game from a series which i think is pretty rad and i wish they made more games for, ape escape 3, which is exclusive to the Playstation line. the whole soundtrack for this game is pretty jammin but for the pick, i'm gonna go with Battle! Monkey Red, probably my favourite boss theme in the game, along with honourable mentions for The Emperor's Castle (Part 1), Mount Amazing (Part 1), and... well, the entire soundtrack, really. here's a link to a youtube playlist with the whole thing

The True Mirror Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean Music Extended

Just for fun I was actually trying to think of a series that is exclusive to one console and I can't believe Baten Kaitos didn't cross my mind... so I'm gonna go with this one, too.

My other choice would've been Train Stage - Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Super Mario Land series).

Day 4: Freaky Monkey Five (Boss) - Ape Escape 2

Is it with only about ten minutes left in today that I write this? Yes. Am I partially stealing from Nitwit? Yes. But as I think of console-exclusive series past Nintendo, my brain tends to lean towards Ape Escape because I adore the series and wish more came of it. Ape Escape 2 has a ton of bangers, but I remember the boss theme for the Freaky Monkey Five most fondly. Honorable mention goes to their other track in the game , which is just as great but isn't quite as bombastic as the actual theme for the fights.

Day 5 - Hub world or Overworld music

Rogueport. There's so many things about the tune that make it feel so powerful in multiple ways.

Back