Paper Mario: The Origami King

Don't mind me, someone with the name "BabyLuigiOnFire" would naturally hate Kamek.

I think The Origami King turned out fine and much better than Sticker Star and Color Splash. It may not be the exact "return to form" the series has but at least its a good game and up there with PM64, TTYD, and Super Paper Mario.

I personally think that TOK (the origami king.) will mark a new era of Paper Mario. Not as good as the first three, but way better than Sticker Star and Color Splash. And that will be what Paper Mario is for a little while.

Well we've already got 2 games since SPM came out that are better than it :V
Eh, I don't really agree. I think TTYD and SPM are two of the best Paper Mario games and they still are better than Sticker Star and Color Splash. It's like with Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night being among two of the best Castlevania games of all time. Both TTYD and SPM are in that type of tier like how Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night are.

Eh, I don't really agree. I think TTYD and SPM are two of the best Paper Mario games and they still are better than Sticker Star and Color Splash. It's like with Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night being among two of the best Castlevania games of all time. Both TTYD and SPM are in that type of tier like how Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night are.

I guess you haven't been exposed to McMadness's hatred of SPM. Either he really thinks that or he's joking; either way he's entitled to his opinions.

I guess you haven't been exposed to McMadness's hatred of SPM. Either he really thinks that or he's joking; either way he's entitled to his opinions.
I am aware of his dislike for SPM. Yeah I know people have opinions and that's fine.

the game didn't turn out to be returning to its roots like the leaks were saying but it seems generally agreed to be better than SS and CS but worse than PM64, TTYD, and SPM. judging from what i've seen among community reception

it's one of the cases where nintendo is trying something new. they're changing the formula again, and i hope it turns out good

You know if there is one thing that genuinely surprises me about this game it's that, as far as I've been told..
You never fight Bowser at all, even in games where he isn't the badguy there is usually a fight against him at some point, but not here.

You know if there is one thing that genuinely surprises me about this game it's that, as far as I've been told..
You never fight Bowser at all, even in games where he isn't the badguy there is usually a fight against him at some point, but not here.
Well at least your expectations are met. Bowser hasn't been quite like himself since Thousand-Year Door.

Tanabe once again confirming how out of touch he is :/

the way he worded that "it's no longer possible" hits me in an almost ominous way. Like "this is just how things are now, i have no choice" which again raises into question how much of the problem is on Tanabe vs. Miyamoto/other higher-ups...

i disagree that having a story as complicated as or more complicated than super paper mario is incompatible with having the mario feel.

Tanabe once again confirming how out of touch he is :/

the way he worded that "it's no longer possible" hits me in an almost ominous way. Like "this is just how things are now, i have no choice" which again raises into question how much of the problem is on Tanabe vs. Miyamoto/other higher-ups...
I felt that the character standarisation is not restricted to Paper Mario. I imagine that the folks in the "Character Supervisor" listing in the credits are in charge of this. Every other Mario series except for Super Mario is affected, such as how there are zero new characters in Mario Party, or how Mario Tennis/Golf lacked any regular human characters. Paper Mario is kind of lucky that it can have original characters, comparatively speaking. In this way, I believe even Wario is affected, because there's an embargo on its characters (except Wario) so you never see Wario characters in Mario games and vice versa, so basically Wario is in his own world (and thus had more freedom in what they can do, like voice-acted cutscenes).

Thank you for reading.

In Super Paper Mario, the elaborate story led the game away from the Mario universe, so since Paper Mario: Sticker Star I've refrained from using stories that are too complicated. Personally, though, I like games with stories. During the production of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, we made use of a system for character settings and real conversations in order to build the story, which was a first for a game in a series. (I also wrote the text for this game.)

To go back to Mario, in Paper Mario: Color Splash, I avoided having a complicated story so as not to veer too far away from the Mario universe, and instead aimed for a game with more memorable events. To create even more memorable experiences for players, in Paper Mario: The Origami King we've established some characters other than the partner character who will also journey with players through the game. In particular, I think that Bobby (Bob-omb) has turned out to be just as memorable a character as Olivia.

He's correct, though. Mario isn't known for elaborate stories. The most we got was probably the non-vg media such as the comics and they fit the cheery disposition the series has rather than SPM's melodramatic JRPG cliche; SPM in of itself was barely a Mario game to begin with. Also, I'm not surprised after that hot mess, the team wanted to scale back the original elements, I felt like SPM went way too far in that direction.

I can't wait for people to ignore the part where Tanabe said that "he likes games with stories" and continue latching onto the narrative that Tanabe hates story so that's why there's no story in the last three games. He's emphasized memorable events and I agree with him: the Paper Mario games strong points WERE the individual self-contained unique chapters rather than their overarching story.

i like myself a deep story in a video game, heck in any media, but if i'm gonna be frank, i don't like deep stories in paper mario. i think it doesn't fit the mario series and things that don't feel mario in a mario game can be cool, like the ruined dragon in mario odyssey, but the plot just feels so out of place for a mario game. if it was in an anime, that would be nice, but it feels so weird to see it in a game made for kids.

this is part of the reason why i prefer mario & luigi. it can have deep stories and pretty intense moments, but they still feel "mario". it has some goofy elements and it's pretty stupid sometimes, which fits mario pretty well. i'm not saying that the story itself in some paper marios is bad, but i feel like it belongs somewhere else. imagine if bug fables for example had the exact same story. it would be way more fitting because bug fables is its own game and not part of a huge franchise, so it can easily decide on what it wants its plot to be.

that definitely doesn't ruin the games for me tho, and i still quite like them, mostly cause i'm more of a gameplay guy. i just think a plot like the first game's plot for example is what the series should follow.

I felt that the character standarisation is not restricted to Paper Mario. I imagine that the folks in the "Character Supervisor" listing in the credits are in charge of this. Every other Mario series except for Super Mario is affected, such as how there are zero new characters in Mario Party, or how Mario Tennis/Golf lacked any regular human characters. Paper Mario is kind of lucky that it can have original characters, comparatively speaking. In this way, I believe even Wario is affected, because there's an embargo on its characters (except Wario) so you never see Wario characters in Mario games and vice versa, so basically Wario is in his own world (and thus had more freedom in what they can do, like voice-acted cutscenes).

Thank you for reading.
They probably can use new characters, but they just can't be modifications of existing ones or be ones that "touch on the Mario universe". According to translation anyway. I do believe Mario Party and sports have the problem, but Luigi's Mansion and new Mario platformers don't? I like to hear more about those games.

i disagree that having a story as complicated as or more complicated than super paper mario is incompatible with having the mario feel.
I think a complicated story clashes with Mario's design on the other hand. But I've gone into it explaining this quite often enough.

My main concern is that he claims to listen to the series' fans, despite the fact that the team clearly keeps pushing in a direction that core fans a significant part of the fanbase doesn't want. Further on he silences them by saying that he hopes they play this new game "with an open mind". That just seems a bit of a cheeky thing to say on his part.

I also strongly disagree with the notion that the series has been innovative lately, which everyone in that interview including the interviewer seems to parrot. It's clear as day to me that Stickers and Battle Cards are the exact same concept, just applied in different contexts, and that Color Splash is more of the same as Sticker Star but with colour.

They probably can use new characters, but they just can't be modifications of existing ones or be ones that "touch on the Mario universe". According to translation anyway. I do believe Mario Party and sports have the problem, but Luigi's Mansion and new Mario platformers don't? I like to hear more about those games.

Well look at the long standing stuff in LM3 and Odyssey. None of it is drastically altered, all the new characters are of a different style, like the real life humans or the designs of the ghosts.

My main concern is that he claims to listen to the series' fans, despite the fact that the team clearly keeps pushing in a direction that core fans a significant part of the fanbase doesn't want. Further on he silences them by saying that he hopes they play this new game "with an open mind". That just seems a bit of a cheeky thing to say on his part.
Wow, he's literally Sakurai putting Byleth in Smash. He knows what he's doing is ticking us off, and he's still doing it! Shufflegate: Exposed!

No, I am NEVER buying Paper Mario: The Origami King! Next time on Megacomic: Paper Mario and the Origami King! (The adaptation after The Hyrule Fantasy and FE:SDATBOL is being pushed to after this)

Back