Paper Mario: The Origami King

None of what you said is a unique "issue" to this game. Enemies are obstacles to avoid or fight at your leisure with the exception of mandatory battles to which there will no doubt be plenty. As someone who just played through CS not long ago I'm willing to bet they'll handle enemies on the overworld the same way in TOK, there will be far more on the field than in say, PM64 or TTYD and they will be placed in ways that make them get in the way of your traveling, on top of hills, blocking bridges, etc etc.

As for ease of the combat, well PM has never been difficult and one turn battles are pretty common for any game like this so that doesn't surprise me.

In a normal rpg, your goal is to kill everything you see to get stronger to more efficiently kill everything you see, but if your goal is no longer dependent on killing everything you see then there not being any reward beyond money and to get them out of the way is again not a problem.

It's a zelda game with turn based combat, if you don't find that fun, thats your business but you'll never be able to convince me the games are inherently flawed because this is the direction they choose to go.

You could definitely convince me other aspects are flawed however and depending on what they are I'm probably inclined to agree.

i think the game shouldn't be too heavily reliant on level ups tho, if i'm being honest killing everything in my path chews up a lot of time in partners in time, i'd like the game to be manageable even when i don't kill most enemies whilst at the same time there IS a reward for battling

So, Treehouse showed off more, and visually, the game looks beautiful. I love the artstyle and just how much the game is embracing the "paper" feel of the world. The origami looks of it all is very well done, and it looks like it'd be a lot of fun to run around in. Not sure how the story is yet, other than "villain takes castle and enslaves the people", but the game looks at least fun to look at.

I am not sold on the battles, though. While I like that they are making things more interesting with the puzzle-solving line-up of the enemies, I'm not seeing anything that would make the battles actually worthwhile. You get confetti after winning a fight, but they have not been shown to actually be useful to the game's progress yet. Maybe that will be shown off more. At the moment, the battles just look time-consuming, and they don't help improve Mario's strength, health, etc. afterward. Instead, this is done by finding temporary Boots and Hammer power-ups in various places, akin to the Stickers or Cards from the previous two games, which was a point of contention for many players.

So I guess, at the moment, my feelings toward Origami King are indifferent. It doesn't look like a bad game, but it doesn't seem like a spectacular game to me either.

That looks pretty freaking sweet but...where's my boy Luigi? Bowser and Olivia with Mario but no Luigi? Or partners unfortunately (unless Bowser is a partner for that section).

EDIT: Also is it just me or do Bowser and Mario look like they're thicker than usual? No no not in that kind of way, I mean like the move in Paper Jam that gives Paper Mario copies of himself. I think they call it "stacked".

damn i wasn't expecting the game to get leaked. looks like it might kinda have a plot so imma take care with spoilers

(edit: i have not been opening spoiler tags but judging from how many i've seen it does like the game has a significant amount of spoilable content which is cool. however some people have been saying the story is bad, but my philosophy is that if it does new things and takes mario plots where they've not been before it can be hardly be bad)

Last edited:
if it does new things and takes mario plots where they've not been before it can be hardly be bad

do keep in mind that original or new =/= good

I am very excited for this game but I'd still advise you to be cautious since story or depth of lore is the most valuable aspect for you. having spoilable things doesn't mean that's it's the kind story you're looking for tbh

Not trying to make you less hyped, mind you, I'm just trying to point things out

do keep in mind that original or new =/= good

I am very excited for this game but I'd still advise you to be cautious since story or depth of lore is the most valuable aspect for you. having spoilable things doesn't mean that's it's the kind story you're looking for tbh

Not trying to make you less hyped, mind you, I'm just trying to point things out
well yeah but for example your critiques of vivian as a character are mostly to do with like how exactly she's written and presented, whereas i'm just happy that i've got someone in a video game i can kinda relate to and that's not something i'd usually find in a mario game

Read some spoilers, the game will probably have emotional moments. Not sure if it's exactly going to take the game "above and beyond" but it would probably make you feel.

yeah i think emotionality is definitely a big part of what makes a good mario plot for me

these few months are gonna be pretty difficult to me. it's hard to not click on a video that talks about origami king, even if that spoils everything. ill try my best i guess, and i sure hope noone spoils me the final boss and all that (i didnt click on the spoilers and im not doing so because fuck game spoilers)

Colour Splash got a similar spoiler period thanks to the unencrypted eShop digital pre-purchase, but I managed to go through it and get through the game, even if there are a few things I knew ahead of time, like the music. I think you could manage it.

Since I am only getting this game much later, I am not fazed by spoilers this time around.

Thank you for reading.

Colour Splash got a similar spoiler period thanks to the unencrypted eShop digital pre-purchase, but I managed to go through it and get through the game, even if there are a few things I knew ahead of time, like the music. I think you could manage it.

Since I am only getting this game much later, I am not fazed by spoilers this time around.

Thank you for reading.
yeah but i won't have a switch until a year from now and even when i do mario odyssey and mario maker 2 are probably likely to be higher priorities and then beating the game will take a few months so....

quite frankly, the game being entirely leaked doesn't really change things for me. it'll take me i dunno how long to get the game, let alone play it, so this just means that having to avoid spoilers started a week early.

Wahhhh Bobby, Olivia, and Olly died wahhhh Nobody cares. Anyone could've seen Olly's death coming, and dear god, Olivia's the THIRD partner in a row to die at the end of the game. And, y'know what? I'm glad Bobby died. He's literally just a Bob-Omb without a fuse. That makes him so easy to hate.
Nintendo has no idea what they're doing with Paper Mario, they should just quit now, the series is dead and has been dead for quite some time.

Wahhhh Bobby, Olivia, and Olly died wahhhh Nobody cares. Anyone could've seen Olly's death coming, and dear god, Olivia's the THIRD partner in a row to die at the end of the game. And, y'know what? I'm glad Bobby died. He's literally just a Bob-Omb without a fuse. That makes him so easy to hate.
Nintendo has no idea what they're doing with Paper Mario, they should just quit now, the series is dead and has been dead for quite some time.
Maybe it is not for you.

Maybe it is not for you.
Yeah, you're right, it isn't. Maybe someone will find something good about this game. I was just really fired up at the time and needed to say something.

first of all, thank you for putting the ending in a spoiler tag. a lot of people don't do that

second, i feel like now nintendo or intelligent systems wants to appeal to a different audience. maybe they dont give as much attention to paper mario as they did before and now nintendo has a bigger part in the development. i mean the modern games feel more like they were made by nintendo than intelligent systems if im gonna be honest.

the closest thing we have to a modern return to form now is bug fables, which im gonna try one day.

maybe they dont give as much attention to paper mario as they did before and now nintendo has a bigger part in the development.

As it should be. let intsys focus more on fe, the clearly superior series

I don't see myself how giving Bobby a fedora will make him more likeable. I understand there's being over-reliant on death of an important character especially after what they pulled off with Huey back in Color Splash but ripping on the game just because the story isn't satisfying even though the stories have always taken a backseat to these stories, just seems like not fair for the game.

It's kinda weird you're piling on a death scene in the game. I think you should honestly play it through before you go around judging it.

Besides the real crime is Kamek not dying.

It's kinda weird you're piling on a death scene in the game. I think you should honestly play it through before you go around judging it.

Besides the real crime is Kamek not dying.
True, it's unfair to hate on a game without playing it, unless it's... um, nevermind, but I honestly think that
Kamek dying would be a bad idea, since he's been a pretty important character since Yoshi's Island. Sure, it's Paper Kamek, but I don't think Nintendo cares about differentiating the two worlds anymore. Like, it's clear they're different, as seen in Paper Jam and the Koopalings' introduction in Color Splash, but I don't think Big N cares.

Back