30 questions (a question a day) challenge

Day 9 - Saddest Game Scene
Rosalina story made me tear up
When Mario says "Thank you so much for my playing my game!"

i really dont play any serious games because i have super baby interests so i really cant think of an example
about the only times a game made me cry was when i was just frustrated at it lmao. and tearing up at endings occacionally

but .. this isnt a scene but this in the brochure for darker side in mario odyssey did make me a bit emotional
From here you can observe galaxies shining in ways you never could see from home. Culmina Crater features vistas entirely unique from those you can find on the Dark Side of the Moon and Honeylune Ridge. If you're feeling down or disheartened, just take a look up at the Milky Way from here.

You can see each star twinkle as the nestle close to one another.

It will all be OK—you are not alone.

I have three answers, because they all got to me so much I can't choose one

1. Ending of Super Paper Mario. Yeah you saw this coming but I really do feel it's an extremely emotional moment, where Count Bleck's love for Tippi, despite having driven him mad to the point of omnicidalism, turns him round and even leaves behind his beloved minions to go with her. He's remorseful for everything he's done and he's sacrificing himself to undo the work of his madness, but is also remorseful that Tippi might have to sacrifice herself too. Nonetheless they profess their love for each other and dissappear forever, but a heartbroken Nastasia is still confient that they're alive and happy together.
  2. Luvbi turning back into the Pure Heart. She was initally presented as just an ungrateful annoying child but you really get to relate to her towards the end, she's just a young person and she cares a lot about her parents and yet she's just so angry that there and then she scolds Jaydes and Grambi. Nonetheless, after the anger dies down, Jaydes explains that she and Grambi always loved Luvbi dearly and that they didn't want her to be unhappy. Luvbi (similarly to the above) forgives her parents for everything and says that she also loves them very much, and tells the heroes that they have to save the world, as her final wish, before turning back into the Pure Heart. A devastated Grambi tells the heroes that they HAVE to suceed just so no-one else has to cope with the suffering of losing family.

3. TEC meeting Mario (after defeating Magnus von Grapple 2.0). He was only made in the first place to serve evil but he doesn't care, he loves Peach and he's completely selfless to her and to Mario in hope that he would stop Grodus and save the princess. Particularly, it nearly reduced me to tears when he conjured up an image of the princess and told Mario "And tell her... thank you for me." Despite all the suffering he decided to put himself through, he's happy that he did what he did since because of the princess he got to love someone in his short life. He shut of his consciousness to get Mario out of the X-Naut fortress before (trying to) explode himself alongside the fortress.​

You just made me basically say by far the biggest reason I love MaRPGs lmao

Super Mario Galaxy 1's ending was pretty sweet, as was Rosalina's backstory.
Agree fully. That got to me as well, just not quite as much as the three I mentioned in my post

I'm a baby whenever Mario Galaxy's ending plays. It's basically just like the Ending of Toy Story 3, except you play a video game and complete conventionally in a longer time than an hour and a half.

FE: Sacred Stone's ending, while not all that sad, still has a very touching scene in the credits. And another very good example from FE is the end of Gen 1 in Genealogy, or even chapter 5 in general, even if it's not a specific scene.

The ending of SMO. Peach's rejection of both Mario's and Bowser's bouquets made me feel sad inside.

I wouldn't call it a "scene" per se, but most of the game, Metro 2033, is just depressing throughout. You're stuck underground in a train station with multiple other people, seeing the once beautiful train station that was the Moscow Metro reduced to rubble due to the nuclear apocalypse. Some supernatural beings that you encounter are very sad, such as the ghosts, who are always witnessing their final moments of their life (like kids who got killed by Nosalises, the everyday monster you find in the tunnels) or the Dark Ones, sad humans who got mutated from the radiation of the and are seen as hostile in the game. And then, finally, when you go over the city, the city is uninhabitated, dangerous to breathe in so you require gas masks to navigate and covered with snow, all buildings reduced to rubble, and you get flashbacks of what it once was from the Dark Ones inhabiting it. And there are lots of monsters on the prowl too.

Game's super memorable because of the sadness, and that part when you first go above ground is something I'll never forget.

Gotta agree on Rosalina's backstory.
Also when Fawful killed himself in an attempt to kill the Mario Bros. in Inside Story, I was like, "NOOOOO!!! HE WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BADDIES!!!" [\SPOILER]

I don't what it is about it, I've seen far better scripted deaths and didn't feel a thing, but

Emmeryn's death in Fire Emblem Awakening, Greil's death in Path of Radiance, Elbert's death in Blazing Sword... Fire Emblem just has good deaths to me I guess 🤷‍♂️

And then on the complete opposite end is Flora in Fates Birthright.

Also, pretty much just any time I beat a game. Bittersweet moments are great.

Last edited:
I think you might be confusing Fiora with Flora my guy.

Fiora is the superior one. It's ok we all make mistakes.

Has to be Minecraft. That game is my favourite game of all time besides the MaRPGs even though it has essentially no story, just because the survival experience is great on its own, but really you can do anything in it, it's extremely flexible and there's a practically unlimited number of ways to challenge yourself, especially if you mod the game. Plus creative mode lets you make all sorts of amazing stuff from building a scale recreation of a country to a working computer to a simulation of a mystery murder game inside Minecraft that you can share with everyone online - it's just crazy how much good stuff comes out of a simple gameplay idea

Gameplay as in...

Ohhh... M&L, 3D games, Maker, yeah.

I would love some sort of Mario Party or Mario Kart Maker. It would be hard, but I think something like that would be really neat.

mario odyssey's movement options are so fun its fun to just heck around accomplishing nothing. did i mention that here???
but i wanna give shoutouts to. rayman legends. really good really fun gameplay like wowie

As much as I love Galaxy more, I have to agree with many that Odyssey's movement is really fluid. I'll restrain myself from mentioning FE today because obviously I enjoy the gameplay so damn much but Odyssey's controls are just so... so satisfying. It makes the navigation of a large world feel surprisingly easy and quick despite the distance being great. That and you have so many moves in your arsenal. Yeah.

Games with mods are amazing. They let me live out my fantasy of being Baby Luigi in many games, including GTA V, Left 4 Dead 2, Garry's Mod, and more.

Left 4 Dead 2 is a unique cooperative FPS in a market littered with PVP shooters. While the CPUs tend to be as dumb as a brick, they're competent enough to help new players out learn the strings of the game as well as help revive you, have aim bot, and knock Special Infected out of you. Left 4 Dead 2 also has a unique Director system, where no two playthroughs of the same map are the same, since it spawns different weapons, different items, and different hordes of zombies every time you play the game, and it can also make things tougher for you or, if you're struggling spawn stronger items for you (like if all of you are bleeding out, the director may spawn health kits instead of pain pills). Add mods on top of it (as well as sourcemods and metamods that include general QoL improvements) and mutation modes that spice up the typical gameplay (like having only Special Infected spawn or having Grenade Launchers with infinite ammo), and it's an extremely replayable experience.

Spore: Galactic Adventures and The Sims 4 have very amazing customization options and a very easy-to-use, user friendly UI. They're also both very easy to mod, with the Sims 4 even designed with modders in mind. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is also aiming to be very customizable as well and I'm looking forward to that.

Back