Super Mario Maker 2

I'm guessing Super Mario Bros 2 plays so radically different (though why they prioritized 3D world, beats me) so that's why there's an enemy notable from it (in Pokey's case, it has solid appearances in Super Mario Bros. 3 and World and New Super Mario Bros.) Note we do have Bob-Ombs, which also debut in Super Mario Bros. 2.

I don't have SMM2 yet nor have I played SMB2 but I think it would be a shame to leave it out as it looks kinda interesting even if it's not as popular as the classics either side.

I think they did 3D World as that game was pretty popular considering how much the Wii U wasn't, and it's not been ported to the Switch so they did it to get extra attention and sales.

Last edited:
Nice they added the Pokeys (which was a prominent character, that debuted with SMB2), but I wonder why they added the new Ninji game (considered a new "mode"), but didn't take the opportunity to add SMB2. Is it really that hard to convert? (Harder than 3DW was?) I notice that when the new Link powerup throws the bomb, it sounds just like SMB2. (forgot if that's how it sounded in the Zelda game).
I hope that and the Pokeys are not supposed to be a nod to SMB2, that will "represent" the game, and that will be the closest we ever get to it. (I also noticed, they at some point added to SMB1 those green semisolid mounds that resemble the ones from SMB2).

As Ninjis and Pokeys (especially the latter) have become recurring enemies in the series, I definitely don't feel like their inclusion directly eliminates the possiblility of SMB2 becoming a "makeable" style simply because they appear in it. Same opinion with the sound effect and semisolid - they are much too coincidental to really mean anything. Some game developers add hints pointing to upcoming games/updates/DLC/what-have-you, but Nintendo hasn't usually done that in that past. (Speaking of which, while I definitely feel like a 3D World port will happen at some point, but because of previously-stated reasons I don't think SMM2 is a hint toward it.)
1577732425078.png

I managed to upload a New Year Course (it's still New Year's Day). This is the 57th course.

New Year Spike Ball Fireworks ID: SQQ-SLD-NRF

Edit from Jan. 2nd, 2020: I managed to upload a 58th course in SMM2. It's a One Screen course.

One Screen Obstacle Traps ID: BMN-JKL-2QF

Edit from Jan. 3rd, 2020: I managed to upload a 59th course in SMM2. It's an One Screen Room when you enter from the door.

The Survival Room ID: L91-SS6-F9G

Last edited:
Since no one else has taken notice, I just want to mention that the upload limit has increased to 100 now. Ironically, I'm not even close to reaching the original 32 limit; I currently have 17 courses uploaded.

Reactions: zel
I managed to upload a 60th course in SMM2. It's a 7th course from the Two Screens Pink Coins Finding series.

Two Screens Pink Coins Finding 7 ID: 23S-329-WCG

Since no one else has taken notice, I just want to mention that the upload limit has increased to 100 now. Ironically, I'm not even close to reaching the original 32 limit; I currently have 17 courses uploaded.
Hmm...me too. I probably won't reach 32 anytime soon.

I managed to upload a 61st course in SMM2. It's a 7th course in the Find a way to beat Time! series.

Find a way to beat Time! 7 ID: 2Y3-288-J2G

Edit from Jan. 18th: I managed to upload three more courses in SMM2. It's a total of 64 as of right now.

Mushroom Kingdom Bombing 2 ID: 3R8-LS1-MXG
Claw Castle Sky 4 ID: TD1-DXG-3JG
The Dark Rooms 2 ID: 31Y-D51-GVF

Edit from Feb. 10th: I managed to upload a 65th course in SMM2. It's a remix of World 1-1 Course from Super Mario Bros., but it has Earthquakes.

World 1-1 Earthquake Remix (Super Mario Bros.) ID: 39F-GCT-BXG

By the way, I'm making a course called Yoshi's HomeIsland Buffet that have Yoshi eat a lot of food. I still need sometime finishing it up making the course.

Edit from Feb. 27th: I managed to upload a 66th course in SMM2. It's a fourth course in The Two Screens Challenge series.

The Two Screens Challenge 4 ID: 0RY-B9J-JMF

Edit from Feb. 28th: I managed to upload a 67th course in SMM2. It's a fourth course in The Auto Castle series.

The Auto Castle 4 ID: 0RC-F3D-7WG

Edit from Mar. 3rd: I managed to upload a 68th course in SMM2. It's a second course in Cat Book Crawling series.

Cat Book Crawling 2 ID: N7N-DCR-WSG

Edit from Mar. 8th: I managed to finished up making the Yoshi's Homeisland Buffet course and it's now uploaded as a 69th course.

Yoshi's Homeisland Buffet ID: JPD-V2Y-8GF

Edit from March 14th: I managed to upload a 70th course. This course is related to Dr. Mario and needs to sanitize all the Coronavirus that infected the Mushroom Kingdom.

Dr. Mario wipes out Coronavirus ID: 2D5-YCK-WCG

Edit from March 17th: I managed to upload two more courses counted as 72. The 71st is an one screen room that you have to use the Thwomps to smash all the Galoombas. And the 72nd is an another Coronavirus related course that Bowser had stolen 240 toilet papers from Toadco and you have to retrieve them back to the store.

Thwomps Smash Galoombas Castle ID: JFX-QWT-XRF
Bowser Stolen 240 Toilet Papers ID: QS6-WNJ-0RG

Edit from March 28th: I managed to upload a 73rd and 74th course in SMM2, you have to use the On/Off Switch to blow up all the Bob-ombs before one of the reaches the block that a Muncher on top of the P-Switch and the other one is a sequel course to the first P-Switches dash course.

Bob-omb Switch Killer ID: H4S-4VN-6JG
P-Switches Dash 2 ID: FCS-J59-SBG

Last edited:
I made a new course and I want to know what you guys think.

Bowser's Grindsaw Palace: MNW-JHF-W3G

I wonder if Nintendo is still planning to release a bookmark site for this game, i feel like that's something notable SMM2 still doesn't have that really has no reason to be cut unless they're just still working on it

I wonder if Nintendo is still planning to release a bookmark site for this game, i feel like that's something notable SMM2 still doesn't have that really has no reason to be cut unless they're just still working on it
could you make a physical or digital notepad of ids of levels you want to try later?

Story Mode's stone levels are amusing because they always require the stone being carried to the exit: no exceptions. The game also did a great job in showing how the stone interacts with the game's elements, so for example, Yoshi can take a stone without any movement penalties compared to how Mario is drastically slowed down and reduced jump height.

An annoying type of level is the one where landing from a high ground is not allowed, which does lend to some cool levels even if they're super frustrating if failed. The best one is the first one involving the ghost house, when the concept felt fresh.

I like how in the final level before the credits...
Toadette got kidnapped, which is probably a first. It certainly is a twist as opposed to Peach getting kidnapped.

Thank you for reading.

I like how they implemented the stone into the game and it can't be used outside of Story Mode.
I have a feeling that the stone lends itself to great levels, but the developers felt that it won't make for a good item in the regular toolset because of its sluggish properties. Another thing I would like to see is the Toad rescue, which are all pretty fun too. I like how one of them requires taking 10 Toads to the exit.

Thank you for reading.

I managed to upload three more courses as a total of 77 courses. The first one is a 5th course to the Survival Dash through Thwomps series and the other two are new courses.

Survival Dash trhough Thwomps 5 ID: RL7-9GD-DXF
Easter Yoshi Egg Hunt ID: Y9T-KS5-BQF
Lava Bubble Melt Dash ID: 19B-JK7-LXF

Edit from April 19th: I managed to upload two more courses as a total of 79 courses. The first one is a remix course of World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros. styled as a Quarantine type course that made Bowser's goons are home for Quarantine, so the Coronaviruses are taking over World 1-1 and the other one is a second The Survival Room that is less difficult than the first one.

World 1-1 Quarantine Remix (Super Mario Bros.) ID: 447-S8P-KBG
The Survival Room 2 ID: DG0-30K-4RG

Last edited:
YOOOO so much new stuff! I wish i could've recorded a reaction to this but they just dropped it on Twitter lol. I'd have been screaming if this popped up while i was recording!

Looks so good asdfghjkl

Friend and I will be streaming it when it drops for sure. (Well after work of course).

The most interesting aspect of this update that it's supposedly the final major update, as if they have completed the main support for this game. In the previous Super Mario Maker, the updates come frequently, and added a lot of elements gradually that were exciting. It helps that it has Costume Mario, which is itself an opportunity to add unlikely characters like the Babymetal trio, Hello Kitty and Shaun the Sheep.

Certainly it's a substantial update, but it's strange that it's done even though it's not even a year. They might have smaller but substantial updates, but based on the way it's announced, it seems unlikely.

Thank you for reading.

Wow, so many things that were missing are introduced here! It's a shame that this is the last update, but it seems that Nintendo has changed their approach on updates. Instead of smaller, more frequent updates, SMM2 has bigger, but less frequent updates.

Back