Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

judging by disney's distance i doubt they will play much of s role

Give me the Duck.

I will take Duck over anyone except Magolor.

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread for this, but I just need to get this off my chest in regards to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster now that we have the final character revealed:
It is incredibly disappointing and honestly so goddamn frustrating that there is virtually no brown or black-skinned representation in the game.

89 goddamn characters and the only (humanoid) characters who aren't light skinned are Ganon (which is itself problematic because of the dark skin = evil trope) and some alternate costumes for Villager and Inkling.

But no having the goddamn Piranha Plant or a bunch of anime swordsmen in the roster was so much more important than, for example:
- Twintelle
- Urbosa
- Marina
- Hell goddamn Doc Louis from Punch Out

And that's just from Nintendo franchises. If I went into 3P games (that had representation in Smash/could likely get representation, I'd be here all day tbh)

Yeah again sorry if this isn't really anything appropriate for this thread, but as someone who is Puerto Rican and brown-skinned, I just couldn't let the frustration I have with SSBU's roster bubble inside me forever.

This actually did occur to me and it does seem a bit odd that they have yet to include a character who isn't American or Japanese.

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread for this, but I just need to get this off my chest in regards to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster now that we have the final character revealed:
It is incredibly disappointing and honestly so goddamn frustrating that there is virtually no brown or black-skinned representation in the game.

89 goddamn characters and the only (humanoid) characters who aren't light skinned are Ganon (which is itself problematic because of the dark skin = evil trope) and some alternate costumes for Villager and Inkling.

But no having the goddamn Piranha Plant or a bunch of anime swordsmen in the roster was so much more important than, for example:
- Twintelle
- Urbosa
- Marina

And that's just from Nintendo franchises. If I went into 3P games (that had representation in Smash/could likely get representation, I'd be here all day tbh)

Yeah again sorry if this isn't really anything appropriate for this thread, but as someone who is Puerto Rican and brown-skinned, I just couldn't let the frustration I have with SSBU's roster bubble inside me forever.

To add salt to injury, the Mr. Sandman and Dee Jay spirits have Kongs as puppet fighters. I was genuinely befuddled by how they let that slip by.

Doc Louis would be amazing honestly. That's going on my top 10 list.

All my reaction is that, somehow, my enthusiastic penchant for sticking Squenix fodder Cloud, Sora, and Sephiroth in Luigi's Mansion in a free for all, years ago while I was Brawl modding and before Smash 4, is going to happen again in Smash Ultimate.

- Twintelle
- Urbosa
- Marina

I mean there is a very simple reason for that.

Most of Nintendo's characters aren't black or dark skinned and the ones that are, aren't the main characters so they'd never show up in something like this.

Also you forgot Little Mac. His modern incarnation is both dark skinned and the main character so he's in.

- Twintelle
- Urbosa
- Marina

Imo, that's really an indictment on video game diversity to begin with. All of the characters chosen were like, stars of their game series, and we really don't have any major game franchises with darker skinned people as the stars. This is especially prominent in Smash because most of the series in the fighter's pass are from Japanese properties, and they're even less conscious about that sort of stuff than the West.

It's the same issue I have with female representation on the roster. We're allowed to get a variety of body types for men, we're allowed to get an ugly gruff Ganon, but all women need to look beautiful and slender.

But

Hey..

cool Sora though and nice stage

It's the same issue I have with female representation on the roster. We're allowed to get a variety of body types for men, we're allowed to get an ugly gruff Ganon, but all women need to look beautiful and slender.
Maybe because all the female characters in Smash were like that in their source material?

Also, most men in Smash are either super hot or cartoony. Gannondorf is the exception.

Maybe because all the female characters in Smash were like that in their source material?
I think that's what BLOF was getting at, the representation isn't there in Smash because it's just not really there in the video game industry in general.

Also you forgot Little Mac. His modern incarnation is both dark skinned and the main character so he's in.
Considering that Little Mac was played by a former boxer who was the son of Italian immigrants in a live-action commercial for Punch Out on the Wii and said actor said he was asked to play a 'young Italian-American guy, good looking with a cocky attitude and a heavy New York accent', I'm pretty confident in saying that Little Mac is meant to be Italian-American and, you know, Italians are pretty widely considered to be white and not POC.

Of course IIRC Nintendo themselves have said that Little Mac's ethnicity is meant to be ambiguous so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I read him as being of Italian ancestry personally.

I would've preferred Twintelle over Min-Min. Also, phew, no Waluigi. :D

I would've said "what's wrong with Waluigi" but now that I think about it, if they put Waluigi in, they probably would've half-assed him.

Would have been cool to have them as background characters or something. After all, the original selling point of Kingdom Hearts was the Disney iconography.

Considering that lawsuit Activision had, I'm glad Crash didn't get in.

At least my oldest sister is happy. She's played every Kingdom Hearts game. Me, I don't really care. I'm not as big of a Disney fan as she is.

Back