Mario Kart Tour

I also like that they're both being spotlighted at the same time.
Unfortunately, I've already seen discourse on Twitter over this, so it's not going to create peace between the fans.

Bus driver Waluigi is a god, and I'm digging that double-decker bus kart, too. I'm just scared I'll spend all my rubies on his pipe only to see them release a better spotlight a week later. Decisions, decisions...

TVC6Mdt.png

EYE'M GLAD YE LIKE THE SUIT I MADE FOR WALUIGI

My interest in this game has ran out early in the last Tour lol. I do want that bus driver Waluigi but unlocking in this game is just too tedious and I have other things I'd rather be doing lol. Wake me up when I can unlock these characters with legitimate set-in-stone tasks instead of RNG and paid currency.

That's nice though I rather not give much attention to Atlas. Atlas's an asshole who withheld modding tools and doesn't release mods unless you pay and then bitched about how toxic the modding community is. Notice he doesn't release a single piece of his work, just shows them off. While there are those that legitimately say vile words to Atlas and that's not excusable, I still have very little respect for Atlas and anything he does, well, it might as well not have happened.

Gonna admit, I thought you were talking about the company Atlus half way through and was very confused, but now I understand

NL_Calendar_12_2015.jpg

Yup it's him

MKG_Holiday_JigsawPuzzle_PlayNintendo.png

Ah, too bad they didn't keep the SMW design, oh well...

Looks at the bell

Looks intensely at the bell

Despite being an exclusively f2p player, saves 90 rubies for him starting way before he was announced even though that is a meager 20% chance of getting him

Great. I wanted Bus Driver Waluigi, but I want Pauline even more, especially since I didn't get her the first time around. Rip my rubies either way.

Looks like regular Pauline isn't back with this one.
Yes, she is. She's on the High-End (non-spotlight) pipe. I don't know if she's permanent (as Pauline has her own cup), or only for this tour.

3ds Rainbow Road is back
So, uh, multiplayer beta?
First time we hear the non-final lap/section jingle. I hope future tours will increase the lap count to 3 in most courses. Also, maybe add the Wuhu courses from MK7.

As for multiplayer beta...

Soooo..... Multiplayer beta is out. That's a thing.

What character you play still influences how many items you can get, so naturally every match is filled with the same character or two. Big surprise. Also, frenzies can still happen? ...Why? Mario Kart has always had a luck element, but when first place can randomly get free invincibility, skill is far less valuable. Every race feels like a toss-up. Fingers crossed the finished product addresses these issues.

I knew it. I knew that the rankings in single player is just up to having the correct character and vehicle combo and that it's going to boil down to pay to win (as those who pay more money to dump gem-studded shit in the pipe would of course get more content and more means to max out the benefits) rather than skill. The multiplayer was going to be terrible with those character preference mechanics in as well as the rest of the game being, well, it's been said already; I don't know what else people were expecting except another cog in the wheel of psychological exploitation.

Even if all the players are paying, even if all the players have all the best stuff, there's still an underlying problem with the multiplayer. The limited controls of the game restrict how much skill a player can actually have. Every Mario Kart has a strong luck element, but they also all have a high skill cap. This game's skill cap is terribly low. Keep tight lines kids, 'cause that's about the best you can do. There aren't any useful shroomless shortcuts. There aren't any pro tricks to learn like snaking or fire hopping. Pair that with the unpredictable and unfair nature of frenzies, and well, you've got a mess of a multiplayer. Every race is almost entirely up to what your item roulette lands on. This game isn't pay-to-win, it's pay-to-hope-to-win.

The railroad, no means of falling off or really going off-road, the auto-trick, the nonexistent steering, and auto accelerate are the reasons racing feels horribly unrewarding, yeah. That's a fundamental aspect of the game that's complete rubbish and there's no way of making the game better if your foundation is terrible, no matter how many fancy ribbons you put on your Shy Guys or coat your B Dashes in flakey glitter.

Every Mario Kart has a strong luck element, but they also all have a high skill cap.
Well, that was true until MKDS, due to manual Mini-Turbo charging creating a very high skill cap. Since then however Nintendo opted for a more user-friendly approach. We usually think of MKW as a competitive game due to its competitive community, but fon't forget that MKW was the first game with a proper online mode and how much did that game sell. Neither of these factors can be really ignored. Nintendo on its part surely didn't think of that game as a competitive game. Read the Iwata Asks on MKW: the focus wasn't on creating a higher skill cap, but rather on the user's experience, especially with the Wii Wheel, and Nintendo never made systematic competitive events of that game.

Similarly, in Mario Kart 8 firehopping was patched as soon as they could without breaking Time Trials - read 200cc - and as soon as MK8D was released, it was gone. MK8D also introduced auto-acceleration, smart steering and double items, by the way. And Nintendo never made systematic competitive tournaments of both MK8s either.

Ultimately, apart from the gacha/pay2win aspects that are specific of Japanese f2p mobile games, Mario Kart Tour looks to be a continuation of what MK8D started, and Nintendo showed so far a very clear idea of what Mario Kart should be, we just don't agree with them.

The numbers and the success of the series tell we aren't exactly right either, by the way.

fuck snaking and firehopping

if i wanted to play a more skill-based kart racer, i'd play other racers that do advanced techniques better, such as sonic & all stars transformed or ctr:nitro-fueled. i don't want to mash my buttons repeatedly for 80% of the race (like with snaking) or dumb cricket bouncing shit (like with firehopping)

Well, that was true until MKDS, due to manual Mini-Turbo charging creating a very high skill cap. Since then however Nintendo opted for a more user-friendly approach. We usually think of MKW as a competitive game due to its competitive community, but fon't forget that MKW was the first game with a proper online mode and how much did that game sell. Neither of these factors can be really ignored. Nintendo on its part surely didn't think of that game as a competitive game. Read the Iwata Asks on MKW: the focus wasn't on creating a higher skill cap, but rather on the user's experience, especially with the Wii Wheel, and Nintendo never made systematic competitive events of that game.

Similarly, in Mario Kart 8 firehopping was patched as soon as they could without breaking Time Trials - read 200cc - and as soon as MK8D was released, it was gone. MK8D also introduced auto-acceleration, smart steering and double items, by the way. And Nintendo never made systematic competitive tournaments of both MK8s either.

Ultimately, apart from the gacha/pay2win aspects that are specific of Japanese f2p mobile games, Mario Kart Tour looks to be a continuation of what MK8D started, and Nintendo showed so far a very clear idea of what Mario Kart should be, we just don't agree with them.

The numbers and the success of the series tell we aren't exactly right either, by the way.
are you saying I should give up waiting for a skill based Mario Kart game after 7 & 8

Back