Mario Tennis Aces

I can't see my results anymore but it was something like 3 tournament wins, 9 losses, 32 wins and 5k+ points.

Didn’t play online because I couldn’t play too much (final exam issues, still not completely over). I got to play a match as Peach twice, but I lost to Mario and Bowser as CPUs (yes, didn’t play in the tournament because it was so laggy I couldn’t even get to the match). Not that I care, it’s just a demo, and I can live by Mario's classic outfit. Anyway, TG then unlocked Waluigi, so I had to give it another try.

And boy was it goregous I got to do two special shots fast and both of them broke all of Mario's rackets.

I think I know how to play now, but my only problem now is I can’t seem to pull off Trick Shots.

My final results were 4 tournament wins, 65 wins and (approximated for the rest as I didn't get a screenshot) around 25 losses, and a little under 10,000 points.

You get error code 2306-0820 if you try to start the demo again. Its respective support page is here.

[quote author=American support page]
Players can only launch and play the...Mario Tennis Aces: Pre-launch Online Tournament demo event during the designated demo [session].
[/quote]
Trimmed quote to include only relevant info about Mario Tennis Aces, but that’s basically what it says.

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Only managed to unlock Waluigi and Toad, though. I was really looking forward to trying Rosalina and Chain Chomp out.

Yup, I'll be buying this.

I wanted the Chain Chomp, but I recognise my lack of skill along with the fact that it was getting late to keep playing.

Some people are joking that Mario Tennis Aces is a fighting game, and in some ways it's got some similarities with the traditional fighting games (think: Street Fighter, King of Fighters), like utilising mindgames to hopefully gain an advantage in a match, special metres that afford players more options (either defending or using a power shot) and each playing having limited HP (for the racquet).

Thank you for reading.

Well, someone apparently got the game early

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioTennis/comments/8ow4ra/ama_mario_tennis_aces_in_hand/?st=JI39GP3X&sh=82eeee0d

I blame the communists.

I just remembered, this game could've been an opportunity for those Mario Sports Superstar cards to be used for once, but guess I was wrong. But does this game have amiibo support, or am I missing something?

They should have a Mario Sports game where all Mario Sports are being played simultaneously in one stadium.

So are they going to make ads like this for every single Mario game that comes out?

Happened with Super Mario Run and Odyssey. And now this...

It was a real pity that Mario lost the game, but I suppose "it's nice to have the end of the Bob-omb for once" for Mario. It's great that Mario has some personality (not that he doesn't have any; some people just thinks he didn't). Also, the marker squeaking is a nice touch.

Thank you for reading.

Iron Man said:
So are they going to make ads like this for every single Mario game that comes out?

I really hope they do, because these are awesome. I like seeing more character personality off of video games themselves and react to... well, not quite reality, I guess. They're still a video game character, with reality tweaked to match them. Pretty sure Rafael Nadal can't perform a Zone Shot :P

Now I’m wondering if you can challenge referee decisions in the game. That would be so cool.

EDIT: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/tennis-superstar-rafael-nadal-takes-on-video-game-superstar-mario
Not happy with the umpire’s call? Contest the decision with the new Challenge feature, exclusive to Swing Mode, to see a replay of the shot and see if it was in or out.
Never mind, it’s confirmed!

winstein said:
It was a real pity that Mario lost the game, but I suppose "it's nice to have the end of the Bob-omb for once" for Mario. It's great that Mario has some personality (not that he doesn't have any; some people just thinks he didn't). Also, the marker squeaking is a nice touch.

Thank you for reading.
I did sort of expect Mario to lose because otherwise I'd feel it'll be like punching down? I do like his portrayal here though, his facial expressions were good. And besides, Mario's the one who screwed up while trying to be a showoff, so, no hard feelings.

I do like the marker part lol.

The choice of sound effects for the marker was indeed genius, I love little touches like that.

https://nintendoeverything.com/special-mario-tennis-aces-costume-will-be-added-in-later-for-those-who-missed-out-on-the-demo/
In case you truly couldn't live without Mario's traditional overalls.

Still, it was a pretty gutsy move to make the main character unlockable.

They HAD to screw it up. Just had to. Just when you thought they got their shit together, they decide to strip some important features that even fucking Ultra Smash had.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76689768

-There are no unlockable characters, or costumes
You fight Kamek, Boom Boom, Blooper, Koopa Troopa, and Dry Bones in the story mode, however, none of these characters are actually unlocked in the game. You will presumably be able to unlock them by playing in tournaments many months after the game releases.

- Matches with more than one set are gone
While 3 set matches and onward can still be found in Adventure Mode, free play does not allow you to play any matches longer than one set. This means that in multiplayer, all matches are either as long as the demo matches or even shorter.

There is only "Quick Play" which is a tiebreaker match, and "Extended Play", which is the regular one set match found in the demo.

- Star characters are gone
Beating the star cup in the tournaments unlocks absolutely nothing. Star characters (present in almost every Mario sports title) are not included in this game.

- Every court is unlockable aside from Marina Stadium
These are the only things you unlock from playing the story mode.

Yes you can bet on a free update or whatever but there's that chance there won't be an update or the update won't be what's missing and I hate that.

Back