Mario Tennis Aces

Mcmadness said:
Word of warning, if you lose connection midmatch, you lose by default.

Found this out the hard way....
If you or your opponent loses connection? I've always won by default whenever a laggy opponent disconnects (or once when an opponent who wasn't laggy apparently needed a bathroom break and never served the ball)

I'm having fun with this game, but I just got bodied in the championship match by a Bowser player with godlike reaction times and very consistent at countering Special Shots. I'm guessing it'll be another long sequence of losing on round 3 + 4 to even get a chance to die on the championship again -_-

You, I have a shitty router that often disconnects at random intervals.

It's cost me 2 matches.

Oh and if anyone cares, demo characters are Mario Yoshi Peach Bowser Waluigi Toad Spike Rosalina and Chain chomp.

Ouch that really sucks then :(

Waluigi being the first unlock is thankful, but then unlocking Toad after already having Waluigi is like, "thats cute"

I had a feeling you'd react that way.

Also this is just me but most of Bowser's voice clips are Kenny James.

But his super or whatever you call it is a recycled Scott Burns voice clip.

It just really throws me off.

the worst case of the mix up of voice actors is Rosalina.

While Bowser and Jr have this too , they only use they old voice clips during the special shot sequence.

Meanwhile Rosalina is still voiced by Kerri Kane in her intro, her specials and the special shot.

Ah they nixed Jump Shots apparently. I liked those. :(

Judging by all the characters in the demo, I'm going to main Rosalina, her speed is just right for me.
Kinda surprised Luigi isn't in the demo, but oh well, I'd prefer most of the unlockables(Besides Toad) anyways

I played some, furthest I've gotten is semifinals before mr 4k shows up to stomp me every time. I'll need to use trick shots more but my reactions for it are poor.

lag tilts me but it can work out if i just drop shot as early as possible and hopefully the other person also can't react because of the lag.

I made it to another championship against a Chain Chomp player, got bodied again but dang Chain Chomp's championship entrance animation is golden. That aside, the match made me salty about all another hour down the drain without a trophy, and I've only made it to semifinals a couple times since (got bodied obviously, most recent one was really intense and went into tiebreaker mode, where I first had a huge lead on my opponent Spike, but suddenly the lag that had been present since tiebreaker started switched its bias and gave him the win)

I did however, get a rematch against another Waluigi player who had bodied me in semifinals, ran into them later in round 3 and beat them, that felt good :)

Charging the shot feels necessary, now that it fills the meter. In Open, it was unnecessary other than just sending a stronger shot in the previous games.

Nah, you could do that in Power Tennis.

It recharged your energy gauge from that game faster.

Gotta say I absolutely hate the slow shot and I can't wait to play simple matches. Other than that it's a lot of fun not sure how I feel about all the special shots.

All these different shots and moves are a little hard to keep track of in the heat of the match. Did anybody else get annoyed at that weird waving to the crowd mechanic that messes you up if you start charging a shot too early?

I guess I played a big share of Mario Tennis, so all those shots are natural to me, though I'm still learning the newer ones and also still have yet to nail the timing down.

I believe that "waving to the crowd" mechanic is taunting? It's present since Mario Power Tennis, though taunts in Mario Tennis Open are less spammy and give you more feedback (giving you a visual indicator that your next hit is slightly stronger). You can use taunt only when the ball is in the other side of the court. Anyway, you just need to adjust when to start charging.

Funny enough, I played another tournament this morning and won the championship on my first try. Guess sleep was really all I needed lol (or I just got lucky, to be fair the final 2 opponents were both Rosalina who I'm terrible against so I was pretty much prepared to lose)

0B0nGAK.jpg

I wonder what the blank profiles are in those brackets though?

People who didn't need to do round 1 since they already won a championship.

I've got 2 championship wins under my belt though I think the people I played with were fairly new at Mario tennis since it was pretty easy whereas other times I've gotten wrecked.

Yeah I just figured that out when I entered another tournament and started at round 2 :P

So far I've lost at round 3 a couple times, is the automatic round 2 placement permanent or does it go away if you lose enough?

Doesn't seem like it.

Boy I tell ya I'm looking forward to the single player.

I hope the online is better when the game comes out because the lag and disconnections for the demo have been awful.

It sounds right around on par as Mario Tennis Open. Kudos to Nintendo if the online improves, but I'm putting my bet on that it won't improve because Nintendo online is rarely ever good.

Played the game, and it's a very solid and fun game, which is a great thing since I am generally more of a Golf person than a Tennis person, which solidifies my decision in purchasing this game eventually.

I have played a number of matches until I have unlocked four out of the five characters: Waluigi, Toad, Spike and Rosalina. Unfortunately not in a mood for unlocking Chain Chomp since I feel like I am terrible at this game, where I only made it to the Semi-finals once, and generally losing a lot. Makes me feel like the players I play against are all veteran players that I have little chance of winning save for the rare inexperienced player. I only managed to get a KO once.

The lag admittedly is bothersome when it happens on my side, since I wasn't able to react to the opponent, giving them a free win. The only times I managed to get clean victories are against the CPUs and the aforementioned occasional inexperienced player.

Anybody managed to successfully counter racket-damaging tennis balls consistently?

Thank you for reading.

Oh yeah, the lag sounds like a major turn-off. It's probably much worse concerning the lag. I don't think you should blame yourself for not nailing down the timing in the face of horrendous lag. Anyhow, I was able to block consistently a few times during the practice session, but it didn't really allow me to practice blocking the super shots that are the real threats. I think online is a much different story.

lol I like how lag kinda defeats the purpose of mastering a very specific timing down to counter those types shots.

(and then Nintendo expects you to pay for their service in the future, this is not a good first impression)

I haven't played too much practice. Found it quite boring tbh. Give me a Wario or Waluigi CPU opponent to body shot in a doubles match instead.

I generally just avoid an opponent's special if it isn't a match or game winning shot, the timing is strict and the meter you spend in zone speed is better spent on the next point. Dealing with zone shots is less strict since it won't automatically break your racket and you can gain meter if you do manage to time it right, still what I do depends on the situation and whether it's worth hunting down the ball or giving up the one point to give you better odds on the following two or three.

KO's have been rare, I've only ever broken an opponent's racket twice and the second time was only because I was using zone shots a lot over the course of the match and it eventually resulted in a break. I've broken mine a few times going to block special shots early on, I got KO'd once but it was the match point and I had no choice but to try counter a special shot or lose anyway.

I did manage to win a tournament immediately after switching to Chomp, power characters don't seem to have much problem since movement isn't an issue when trick shots and zone speed exist.

Lag is a problem, opponents like to zone shot on the serve when it's happening since you cant time it and your racket will break after 2 or 3 of them. I generally just go for the drop shot during lag since it's hard to deal with.

Back