Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

wii sports resort island flyover but not time limited and also you can explore on land when
isn't that just the cycling mode in wii fit?

Oh my villainous agenda doesn't stop there.
Sight-seeing is a top priority for all genre of games with detailed scenery. Explore every inch and cranny at every camera angle, honor the artists!
Stroll lap 1 in MK8D, the coms are easy enough.

Open world Mario Kart game gooooooo

"two drivers per car doesn't change much"

Maybe from a strict gameplay mechanic standpoint, maybe, but I love how it changes the *feel* of a race. The rear character bouncing around from the road's impact, the narrow roads, the duo just jumping around when you swap, the team-ish feel, the jankiness and springiness of the cars, the characters yelling from an explosion and seeing the rear character drag like a maniac. It's a unique experience to the franchise, and it makes Double Dash worth revisiting every once in a while just for that feel.

You just have to play it with hacks on, though, game burns out pretty quick, but with all the crazy hacks on, it's super fun again. I try pushing the difficulty up with "you blow up everything you touch" and "bowser shells ran amuck" but with 9 more laps to help test your driving rather than subject you to whims of items (so you can't 100% pin it to luck if you lose).

I already blow ass at Double Dash, I don't think I need to add hacks to make it more difficult. I'm not even sure how it's possible to add hacks to GameCube games anyway.

This is actually a good segue into my unpopular opinion that I don't really like Double Dash as much as everyone else seems to. Maybe I just can't get the hang of it but every time I go back to it, I just find myself getting angry at how slippery the controls are. I feel like I'm always flying off the map and I can never get full control of my kart.

Honestly I doubt DD is so popular outside of here.. I think there's just a loud baby loving minority :P

But it's true that DD does give a fresh take feel for the series.

Mario Kart Double Dash's physics are unpolished jank to boot. Don't believe me? Race on the Parade Kart.

Double Dash absolutely plays like jank but I'm not against 'doubles' returning if just as an optional mode. I like that it's a slightly more interesting way to handle 2 item slots and a way to let a 2nd player join in without having to race against the 1st player.

I already blow ass at Double Dash, I don't think I need to add hacks to make it more difficult. I'm not even sure how it's possible to add hacks to GameCube games anyway.
Yeah! Well the hacks is just a personal thing for me, since I find Mirror Mode/150cc too easy. I was in the same spot at one point, when I was like 9 or 8, being frustrated to no end about the difficulty of those two engine classes, but what's key here is learning how to maneuver the kart. I found mastering drift essential to winning races. My sister and I started with yellow sparks around the corners, but we eventually knew how to do blue sparks, and we found races getting only easier and easier.

And, well, it's hard to come across viable means of playing GCN games in the first place, so I just, well, emulated the thing. There's a rich library of AR and Gecko codes for the games.

This is actually a good segue into my unpopular opinion that I don't really like Double Dash as much as everyone else seems to. Maybe I just can't get the hang of it but every time I go back to it, I just find myself getting angry at how slippery the controls are. I feel like I'm always flying off the map and I can never get full control of my kart.
Actually I'm seeing more that people think the double mechanic is overstated and it's "over" requested for a later game, due to how it doesn't add much to the gameplay and comes off as a one-off gimmick than a mainstay. I do, however, point out the visual experience of two racers, which I don't think is stated very often, how that adds to the feel of racing.

I agree the controls can feel pretty unresponsive and the kart can be difficult to maneuver, but it makes some tracks all more enjoyable to race on. I really really doubt Wario Colosseum is going to be more fun to race on if the handling was tightened, and the turns that were pretty scary in Double Dash become pretty much a nonthreat. See this wicked turn below (don't mind the Warios on a Goo Goo Buggy). Definitely not going to be the same turn in another game AND including modern Mario Kart's tendency to make roads so much wider.
CWrzHm0.png

Look at Dino Dino Jungle's shortcut. This was actually much harder to pass through in Double Dash, making it pretty terrifying, but it's sooo rewarding. The Mario Kart 7 iteration made it a lot easier to traverse this and it lost a lot of the original feel of this shortcut. Hell, the entire bridge in Mario Kart 7 feels way less precarious since it's SO wide. Hell, this area still gives me a bit of trouble every now and then, especially with heavier vehicles and after months of not having played Double Dash recently, and 200cc is my preferred speed in Mario Kart 8.
ODqaPm6.png

Bridges comparison
iYj3GFK.png

MK7DDJungleBoardwalk.jpg

(there's also Mario Kart 7's kinda strange decision to include an item box in the main road which makes the slower route that has the item even less reason to take besides sandbagging, but that's another story)

Now there are hard to pull off shortcuts like the awkward ramps in Ice Ice Outpost (though obsolete at 200cc, not worth risking) but considering the transition from Double Dash to a newer game, I feel in general there's a lot lost. Baby Park in Mario Kart DS was the absolute worst iteration, with ultra wides.

But anyhow it's understandable you don't like the controls. I find myself cursing them every now and then. But IMO it lends to the unique feel of the game, and the tracks in Double Dash are typically more fun in Double Dash than they are in later games. Except Dry Dry Desert, that's just a ridiculously boring track. If I can describe Double Dash in one word, it's "precarious". Which Dry Dry Desert isn't.

Double Dash absolutely plays like jank but I'm not against 'doubles' returning if just as an optional mode. I like that it's a slightly more interesting way to handle 2 item slots and a way to let a 2nd player join in without having to race against the 1st player.
It's a great excuse to try out the whole roster while you stick with a primary, your favorite character. :p

Mario Kart Double Dash's physics are unpolished jank to boot. Don't believe me? Race on the Parade Kart.
MKDD_Upside_Down_Car_Glitch.png

VrqXk5Q.png

Yep.

I want Metal Mario playable in more games.

time paradoxes in tiny packages are cool

These posts are making me salty, which is the whole point of the thread. So good job, I guess. I'll just go seethe over here.

Except this one.
I like the babies because I like small cute things, and time machines are canon anyway thanks to E. Gadd. Sue me.

On a similar note, Partners in Time is really not that bad. In fact, I'd say it's a very good game, and I certainly wouldn't say it's the worst of the M&L RPG series. It's true there's a bit of strange curving when it comes to the HP that enemies have, but honestly, I never... like, honestly noticed it? Like, I never seriously thought, "This boss is taking way too long for me to beat." Maybe it's because I adequately leveled in the game.

Also, it had a really cool infinite. Crazy stuff.

It had some of the best theming of the series, I'd argue better than Bowser's Inside Story, and its humor as sharp as ever. Plus, the babies are fun to play with. I also think the final boss theme sticks in my head more than In the Final which, while a good theme, is very similar to other boss themes throughout the series, while Elder Princess Shroob's theme is unique in tone and scale.

These posts are making me salty, which is the whole point of the thread. So good job, I guess. I'll just go seethe over here.

Please consider not letting people's opinions have any mental impact on your person.

The point of the thread isn't for you to mald over online lines of coding but rather for people to express unique views that they have in an environment that encourages it, fostering some amount of diversity. Sorry if I come off as mini-modding here but this is a subject I am very sensitive on so it'd be nice if you simply didn't care and not allow trivial things to jeopardize your peace of mind, though I am enforcing this (nor do I have an existing capacity to).

Metal Mario DOES have Pink Gold Peach, so he's not entirely alone.

But anyhow, may I reintroduce Rusty Copper Luigi for Metal Mario's brother?

I mean, I'm the kind of person who would make Luigi be platinum if I had that choice but Luigi getting something better than Mario doesn't seem possible to me.

emerald loog

Back