The Official "I'm going away/coming back!" Thread

@Klonoa @Penguin Toadette and everyone else:

I'll going on my year-end break starting this Thursday, will come back possibly after Christmas

I'll be away for about five months. I'm going to a Youth with a Mission base next week and won't have access to the site during that time.

That's pretty much it. My YouTube channel will also be on hiatus during that time and World of Plight will return with a spectacular finish when I get back.

I'll probably be popping on and off randomly during the coming week before I leave.

(god it has been years since I touched a forum lmao, don't even know if this is the right topic so forgive me)

Hello there, I doubt I'd be able to recognize anyone here, since it's been nearly 7 years since I last used this website or the wiki. I was active for about three or so years, judging by the date on my profile.

A while ago I remembered that I had an account here back when younger me was super into Mario and oh god I was certainly a cringeworthy one with how much fights I got into over minor stuff. I think that the drama I got myself into embarrassed me enough that I didn't touch a Mario game until I turned 18. I've done a lot to improve myself over the years and I've branched out into several other fandoms, so I'd like to apologize to anyone who holds whatever 13 year old me taught or got into.

It's still quite a long ways off, and, of course, I run a risk of things changing in the intervening time, but, after thinking on this for some time now, I do think it's prudent to put this out there. I intend to, in 2024 and for the foreseeable future beyond it, take much more of a backseat role in the community. Truth be told, at that point, I think I'll have offered about all I have to offer in formal positions, and I suspect I'll be devoting more time to other activities, as well.

Now, to be clear, this isn't a plan to retire from the community entirely! Let's be honest. That wouldn't happen, and any such post implying a retirement for me would join the long and storied history of folks making retirement posts and then jumping back in six months later. I'd still stay on in some positions, like SW Director, and I'd probably keep joining ACs, but... well, I probably won't be running for anything anymore, at that point, and I doubt I'll be hosting any big projects.

I feel like, by 2024, I'd like to have more of a casual presence - still around, still involved, but in a more of a reduced, backseat role, flitting between projects, offering advice, maybe doing more varied and smaller projects, and generally just being able to support endeavors informally, that kind of thing.

So with that being so far off into the future, what value could making this post now possibly have? I'm making this post now because,

1) I really want to encourage more folks to get more deeply involved in some of the community's activities, if they've gained anything from them, because I do believe there's a lot of talent here than can take the reins! Your taking part in and contributing to something is what makes the difference between something you enjoy and appreciate continuing on and coming to an end - and that's not specific to the community; that's general life advice! Make a habit of giving some time and energy to the causes, organizations, and even the for-fun projects in the communities you find yourself in, because, seriously, just a couple people choosing to put forth the effort to get the ball rolling often makes all the difference. So, you know, if you've been in this community and it's brought you joy, and you want to keep that going for yourself and for other people, I really want to encourage you to get involved - join the long-time projects and traditions around, make art, make silly Mindless Junk threads, all that - and especially consider these things for next year and beyond.

2) I also say it now, because, honestly, if I don't commit now, I'll probably end up agreeing to do something in 2024 sometime in, like, July, and I just don't think that's the best outcome for anyone. I'm liable to agree to requests and nudges in the moment! I just know that I'm not going to be the right fit for big projects next year, and it's better to establish that up-front when you know it, so as not to waste any time or raise any hopes, y'know?

Anyhow, like I said, I'm not going anywhere, not now, not in a year from now, but, yeah, there's, overall, the direction I intend to head in the long-run - a different, more backseat role. That's for next year, though, not this one! For this year, I'm giving it full steam still!

I'll be away for about five months. I'm going to a Youth with a Mission base next week and won't have access to the site during that time.

That's pretty much it. My YouTube channel will also be on hiatus during that time and World of Plight will return with a spectacular finish when I get back.

I'll probably be popping on and off randomly during the coming week before I leave.
I have returned! :D

Hey guys. I'm just letting you all know that next Monday, my family and I are going to be far away from town for a couple days. I won't be back until the night of the 21st at the earliest. I'll probably miss you guys a little while I'm gone. Hope you guys do well during my absence!

I'm back! I can't believe I missed a Nintendo Direct while I was away, but I'm super excited for the games from it, especially Mario Wonder and that Untitled Peach game!

I'm back, sorta.

I've been inactive on here for most of this year for various reasons - in particular, I've been busier than ever with school (I started university not too long ago), I've been focusing on other projects and hobbies of mine, and general burnout. I've been feeling kinda burnt out and felt like I wasn't sure how to balance my time spent on here with my personal life, school, and other projects I wanted to do, which is a large reason why I decided to take a break. I did find myself missing the community here, though. Stuff like The 'Shroom, Awards, mafia and so on, they're all stuff I still wanted to participate in, and in the back of my mind, I still had ideas for new 'Shroom sections or Awards presentations. As I speak, I'm considering writing for The 'Shroom again, but I really don't know how much time I can dedicate to it on a regular basis, and I don't want to risk a major burnout again. However, with that being said, I'd like to still be active on the Boards again, at least on a casual level.

Back