Gaming franchises that overstayed their welcome

Mamoru endou

Koopa Troopa
I've been thinking about video game franchises that have overstayed their welcome and I've made a list of some video game franchises that overstayed their welcome, what are your thoughts on this.
1. Sonic the hedgehog ( it was fine in the 90s, after Sonic 2, Sega kept making more games, adding more characters, then he went 3D and then gone downhill).
2. Angry birds (every app is pretty much the same thing, birds killing pigs over and over again, they even had a crossover with Rio, spawning merchandise and even an animated show, then it started to lose it's charm in recent years).
3. Final fantasy (I'm not going to ever get started on how it gone downhill).
4. Call of duty (every game they make is a lazy remake TBH).
5. Assassin's Creed (started going downhill with every new entry with one of them being broken).
6. Fortnite (it started to get more annoying as time gone by, even having a Lego version, what's next a fortnite animated show on Netflix).
7. Pokemon (kept getting worse with each new game being released, it's not just the games, the anime also went downhill during earlier times).
8. Resident Evil (started to lose it's charm with each new entry, even spawning a movie franchise and a series on Netflix which didn't last long).
That's all I could think of, what video game franchises overstayed their welcome for you, let me know down below.

I would say Mega Man X. It should've ended with Mega Man X5, as that game was meant to be the final game and would conclude the series, as well as set the stage for the Mega Man Zero games (which I have not played). Capcom then got greedy and made Mega Man X6, which is a horribly designed cash grab that ruined the story. I thought Mega Man X7 was better, and Mega Man X8 was good. The latter two games I like, but X6 is awful.

I will say that I'm open to a Mega Man X9. I wonder what could happen? I mean Capcom did do amazing with Mega Man 11, so they could totally make a great new Mega Man X game.

Yeah Angry Birds was literally all the rage when I was a kid, EVERYBODY played the games, watched the proprietary streaming service (!!!), and the movie was like, the biggest cultural phenomenon ever as a middle schooler. But then for some reason in about 2020 it just... died. I mean everything was gone, the apps got removed, proprietary streaming service (!!!) got shut down, I think the developer Rovio might have even gone bankrupt. I have no idea why all that happened, it was so weird, but I didn't really care cause I had moved on from that stuff

As for other franchises overstaying their welcome, the Super Mario franchise is just dry at this point. It's been around for what, 40 years, and we're still just building off of the same gameplay middle aged people played as a kid!! I think Nintendo should discontinue the Mario franchise and focus on other, more promising franchises like Brain Age, Nintendogs, and A.R.M.S. Nobody likes Mario anymore, it's just not exciting. I mean, Mario at this point is this weird disfigured man that can't say anything other than "YAHOO" and "LETSAGO", middle schoolers aren't interested in that stuff!! People might as well go and watch the Lone Ranger as a fresher form of entertainment! :P

you really gonna say that pokémon, the literal highest grossing media franchise in the world and one where (performance issues aside) the most recent games are the best in the franchise, overstayed its welcome?

lol

lmao even

Why do these kinds of threads always have to be on the negative side? If game companies want to keep certain successful franchises going, then they have the right to do so even if people may not like later installments as much as previous ones. If people think companies are being "cash grabby" over it, well companies do need to keep making lots of money so they can stay operational (look what happened with AlphaDream for instance, they went bankrupt from the Mario and Luigi remakes not selling well enough). If they decide to pull the plug on certain franchises, then they also have that right but I think it's most likely the last thing they would want to see is people saying they should stop making games from their successful series entirely. If Super Mario is still successful and there are people who still buy the games and enjoy them, there's no way Nintendo are ever gonna stop making Mario games completely anytime soon.

If people think companies are being "cash grabby" over it, well companies do need to keep making lots of money so they can stay operational

Normally I would buy that excuse if EA didn't make tons of money whoring out the Madden franchise on an annual basis and shoving it with lootboxes and microtransactions.

I actually do want EA to stop publishing simulation football titles.

I forgot to include these, Persona and Megami Tensei, after seeing those annoying YouTube ads for Persona 3 reload which was an ashcan copy Persona 3 made so they keep making more, I feel Atlus won't put this one out to pasture, another is Mortal Kombat, it has jumped the shark after WB took it over when Midway went under

Last edited:
Hello Neighbor

Where is its follow up sequel, Goodbye Neighbor

I would say Mega Man X. It should've ended with Mega Man X5, as that game was meant to be the final game and would conclude the series, as well as set the stage for the Mega Man Zero games (which I have not played). Capcom then got greedy and made Mega Man X6, which is a horribly designed cash grab that ruined the story. I thought Mega Man X7 was better, and Mega Man X8 was good. The latter two games I like, but X6 is awful.

I will say that I'm open to a Mega Man X9. I wonder what could happen? I mean Capcom did do amazing with Mega Man 11, so they could totally make a great new Mega Man X game.
After Maverick Hunter X, that was the final straw for me

I only think a series overstays it's welcome if it has a story to tell, was concluded but then they kept making more sequels to it.

Stuff like COD or Angry Birds or Sonic or whatever where it's fairly episodic well I couldn't care less if they kept making more.

I think Mario has outstayed it's welcome for the past 40 odd years. Things were best back in the good old days when you just had to save the damsel from the monkey, none of this modern woke bullcrap like """Luigi""" and """"Bowser""". Mario, DK, and Pauline, that's where the franchise peaked! it's all downhill afterwards.

Mine is a joke too but it's more subtle!

I think Mario has outstayed it's welcome for the past 40 odd years. Things were best back in the good old days when you just had to save the damsel from the monkey, none of this modern woke bullcrap like """Luigi""" and """"Bowser""". Mario, DK, and Pauline, that's where the franchise peaked! it's all downhill afterwards.
‏‏‎
‏‏______________‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎______________________________________‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎ \‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎|
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎\‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎|
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎\|
CrankyDKCR.png

4 words: New Super Mario Bros. I think I've said enough here. Repetitive, unimaginative, and downright easy. I 100% U Deluxe 2 times since I got it, which was Christmas 2021/2022

You'd be surprised some of the shit people say.

Then again maybe you wouldn't. It is the internet,

I think that Bubsy is probably one damning example of a series that overstayed its welcome.

It's one thing when some companies demonise plushies from their competitors, but it's another thing when the company demonises the product that they created in the first place. For Bubsy, after its original creator left, the team who were left to do the Bubsy sequels openly hated the character that they would hang plushies like an execution and one even had a pencil stabbed to its head in their offices. This by the way is an account by the creator of Bubsy, so he noticed firsthand how much the character is hated. It's certainly no Sonic, who despite have its key creators left, there are still developers who care for the character (e.g.: Iizuka worked to the bone to get games like Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog released when they were too much for certain developers).

The apathy by the people who worked on the games are certainly clear: like for Bubsy 3D, the creator wanted to delay the game because he recognised that Super Mario 64 will break new ground, but the publisher insisted on finishing the game at the proposed release date, thus it seemed to release in an unfinished state, and then it ended up tarnishing Bubsy's reputation for good.

Bubsy ended up being a laughing stock that every game released with his name felt like they wanted to cash in on his infamy. This, I feel, is one series that clearly overstayed its welcome. Though I got to say, the soundtrack for this game is pretty great since it's made by the developers of Runner3.

Thank you for reading.

@winstein Plus there is the fact that Chinese holding company Billionsoft brought that franchise back when most people didn't want it back, and the games were as terrible as ever. Bubsy does have some fans, and I am in no way putting them down because people should have the freedom to like whatever they want and so I respect the Bubsy fanbase's opinion of him, but still, most people didn't want that. By the way I do know he does have at least SOME fans. There were fangroups I saw on Steam for him. I know. Even I couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
I think that Bubsy is probably one damning example of a series that overstayed its welcome.

It's one thing when some companies demonise plushies from their competitors, but it's another thing when the company demonises the product that they created in the first place. For Bubsy, after its original creator left, the team who were left to do the Bubsy sequels openly hated the character that they would hang plushies like an execution and one even had a pencil stabbed to its head in their offices. This by the way is an account by the creator of Bubsy, so he noticed firsthand how much the character is hated. It's certainly no Sonic, who despite have its key creators left, there are still developers who care for the character (e.g.: Iizuka worked to the bone to get games like Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog released when they were too much for certain developers).

The apathy by the people who worked on the games are certainly clear: like for Bubsy 3D, the creator wanted to delay the game because he recognised that Super Mario 64 will break new ground, but the publisher insisted on finishing the game at the proposed release date, thus it seemed to release in an unfinished state, and then it ended up tarnishing Bubsy's reputation for good.

Bubsy ended up being a laughing stock that every game released with his name felt like they wanted to cash in on his infamy. This, I feel, is one series that clearly overstayed its welcome. Though I got to say, the soundtrack for this game is pretty great since it's made by the developers of Runner3.

Thank you for reading.
I think Sonic the hedgehog overstayed his welcome, after making three good games for the Genesis/Mega Drive (with Sonic and Knuckles being a glorified expansion for Sonic 3) and by the time the Saturn rolled around, we get Sonic 3D blast and it wasn't even 3D, then the Sonic adventure comes along and it all goes downhill from there, then Sonic 2006 comes along being rushed in time for Christmas and a glitch ridden mess with a bad story, after Sonic generations and many other games the franchise seemed to be on the right track until Sonic boom rise of lyric comes along repeating the same thing Sonic 2006 did and ruins everything until Sonic mania comes along despite not being made by Sega

Back