Gaming franchises that overstayed their welcome

I think Sonic the hedgehog overstayed his welcome, after making three good games for the Genesis/Mega Drive (with Sonic and Knuckles being a glorified expansion for Sonic 3) and by the time the Saturn rolled around, we get Sonic 3D blast and it wasn't even 3D, then the Sonic adventure comes along and it all goes downhill from there, then Sonic 2006 comes along being rushed in time for Christmas and a glitch ridden mess with a bad story, after Sonic generations and many other games the franchise seemed to be on the right track until Sonic boom rise of lyric comes along repeating the same thing Sonic 2006 did and ruins everything until Sonic mania comes along despite not being made by Sega
What about Sonic Frontiers, though? Was it actually good? If it was, Sega is starting to make good Sonic games again. Also I like the Sonic franchise despite its many flaws, but I understand some people don't and I respect their opinions. But yeah I thought I heard that Sonic Frontiers was "good" to most people, but I don't know for sure. I mean I don't know anything about the reviews-was it good? Did it sell well? I don't know. If you or someone could please give me information on Sonic Frontiers' performance, I would really like to know, so I can know if Sega is back on the right track again.

What about Sonic Frontiers, though? Was it actually good? If it was, Sega is starting to make good Sonic games again. Also I like the Sonic franchise despite its many flaws, but I understand some people don't and I respect their opinions. But yeah I thought I heard that Sonic Frontiers was "good" to most people, but I don't know for sure. I mean I don't know anything about the reviews-was it good? Did it sell well? I don't know. If you or someone could please give me information on Sonic Frontiers' performance, I would really like to know, so I can know if Sega is back on the right track again.
I don't really know about that one

Yeah I don't either; let's hope it was good. I DID watch Chadtronic play Sonic '06 and I was laughing so hard. It was hilarious how glitchy it was and how bad the story was and everything.
Sega probably messed that one up on purpose, it was Christmas rushed, a lot of games have ended up like that

i mean you're on the internet, you can easily look up the reception to sonic frontiers lol

(mixed reviews from critics who generally praised the visuals, story, and soundtrack, criticized technical issues, controls and combat divided critics. sonic fans generally liked the game though)

basically it's a 6.5-7/10 game according to critics

but for sonic that's like an 8.5/10 lmaooooooooooooooo

I think Sonic the hedgehog overstayed his welcome, after making three good games for the Genesis/Mega Drive (with Sonic and Knuckles being a glorified expansion for Sonic 3) and by the time the Saturn rolled around, we get Sonic 3D blast and it wasn't even 3D, then the Sonic adventure comes along and it all goes downhill from there, then Sonic 2006 comes along being rushed in time for Christmas and a glitch ridden mess with a bad story, after Sonic generations and many other games the franchise seemed to be on the right track until Sonic boom rise of lyric comes along repeating the same thing Sonic 2006 did and ruins everything until Sonic mania comes along despite not being made by Sega
While he did have his ups and down, I personally think Sonic did NOT overstay his welcome. As a character, he is very appealing: he's fast, he has a very appealing attitude, and he's a guy who you don't mind being friends with. In other words, a character designed to be a mascot and as a result is made to last. They are very successful with this, because Sonic is still quite well-liked.

His games might not necessarily have the best reception and usually pale in comparison to Mario's, but he still managed to have an appeal in the games he starred in, despite their imperfections. Even then, Sonic is more than the games. He's notably has a comic series and his films turned out to be well-regarded, which means that there is still appeal to his character.

And not to mention, it helps a ton that lots of people love the character and support him despite his flaws.

Thank you for reading.

While he did have his ups and down, I personally think Sonic did NOT overstay his welcome. As a character, he is very appealing: he's fast, he has a very appealing attitude, and he's a guy who you don't mind being friends with. In other words, a character designed to be a mascot and as a result is made to last. They are very successful with this, because Sonic is still quite well-liked.

His games might not necessarily have the best reception and usually pale in comparison to Mario's, but he still managed to have an appeal in the games he starred in, despite their imperfections. Even then, Sonic is more than the games. He's notably has a comic series and his films turned out to be well-regarded, which means that there is still appeal to his character.

And not to mention, it helps a ton that lots of people love the character and support him despite his flaws.

Thank you for reading.
Now I know that

honestly ET wasn't even that bad of a game

there i said it.

i mean it's not good but it's not the worst game ever made or even the worst game on the atari lol

Let me tell you the tale of Army Men.

In the early 90's, one Trip Hawkins had big dreams and left his cushy job as founder and CEO of Electronic Arts to found The 3DO Company and release its self-titled console. The console bombed because the business model was never viable and loaded with debt, the company desperately scrambled for a hit. Despite being good games with effort put into them, the likes of Killing Time and Captain Quazar didn't do any better that they did on the 3DO-but when Army Men 3D , in one former employee's words a "crappy game done on the cheap", unexpectedly sold gangbusters, tricky Trip saw green in his eyes and flooded the market with Army Men games, hoping to shore up the failing company.

1709339941676.png

That's 21 games between 1998 and 2006. Except no, just listing the individual names doesn't paint the whole picture. Of course you'd expect the PC and Game Boy version of Army Men 1 to be different. But the PS1 version of Army Men Sarge's Heroes 2 is a completely different game from the N64 and PS2 Sarge's Heroes 2. So is the PS1 version of Army Men Green Rogue from its PS2 counterpart. It's pure madness.

And it's all tragic because you see the potential. The high-effort games have personality to spare. A few of them manage to be Pretty Good in spite of the insane production schedule (I recently beat Army Men Air Attack on N64 and it's a fun action game. unironic recommend) and at times, the "main" version of the Sarge Heroes titles playfully realize the promise of putting you in a world where the inside of your fridge is as grueling of a battlefield as any WWII theater. But because they made so many games so cheaply, because they made them in a few months, because they wasted money and time doing downports that were doomed to be crap, the games couldn't be great. They couldn't afford to fine tune the controls, balance the difficulty, or spend any dough on real production values.

It's a testament to the talent of the crew at 3DO that most of these are merely solid 4/5s out of 10 instead of true disasters. And it makes you wonder how good Army Men (and the Dragon Rages, and the World Destruction League: Thunder Tanks et cetera) could have been if they'd have been they hit the brakes and focused development on a few, properly-made games.

Last edited:
@Princess Viola You're right. There are games in Stuart Ashen's "Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of" that are WORSE than E.T. 😆
@Glowsquid Personally I hate the Army Men games. They are so hard that they're not even fun to play for me personally. Those games made me angry because they were near impossible to complete. They truly made me suffer. 😭

Let me tell you the tale of Army Men.

In the early 90's, one Trip Hawkins had big dreams and left his cushy job as founder and CEO of Electronic Arts to found The 3DO Company and release its self-titled console. The console bombed because the business model was never viable and loaded with debt, the company desperately scrambled for a hit. Despite being good games with effort put into them, the likes of Killing Time and Captain Quazar didn't do any better that they did on the 3DO-but when Army Men 3D , in one former employee's words a "crappy game done on the cheap", unexpectedly sold gangbusters, tricky Trip saw green in his eyes and flooded the market with Army Men games, hoping to shore up the failing company.

View attachment 41948

That's 21 games between 1998 and 2006. Except no, just listing the individual names doesn't paint the whole picture. Of course you'd expect the PC and Game Boy version of Army Men 1 to be different. But the PS1 version of Army Men Sarge's Heroes 2 is a completely different game from the N64 and PS2 Sarge's Heroes 2. So is the PS1 version of Army Men Green Rogue from its PS2 counterpart. It's pure madness.

And it's all tragic because you see the potential. The high-effort games have personality to spare. A few of them manage to be Pretty Good in spite of the insane production schedule (I recently beat Army Men Air Attack on N64 and it's a fun action game. unironic recommend) and at times, the "main" version of the Sarge Heroes titles playfully realize the promise of putting you in a world where the inside of your fridge is as grueling of a battlefield as any WWII theater. But because they made so many games so cheaply, because they made them in a few months, because they wasted money and time doing downports that were doomed to be crap, the games couldn't be great. They couldn't afford to fine tune the controls, balance the difficulty, or spend any dough on real production values.

It's a testament to the talent of the crew at 3DO that most of these are merely solid 4/5s out of 10 instead of true disasters. And it makes you wonder how good Army Men (and the Dragon Rages, and the World Destruction League: Thunder Tanks et cetera) could have been if they'd have been afforded the sane thing and make a few, proper games.

I've played sarge's heroes, sarge's heroes 2, sarge's war and army men RTS.

I loved the concept, my dad did too...the RTS game is the only actual good one.
Also amused me how Jim Cummings voiced basically every single character in the franchise.

Back